Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: ResMed H5i (not using)
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CareFusion PureSom Ultra Chinstrap

Sex: Male

RE: Chin Strap Users
Perhaps a gradual loosening of the chin strap would be better than going cold turkey. I'll try reducing the tightness a tiny bit each week in hopes of eventually removing the strap.
08-22-2014 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(08-22-2014 06:12 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:  Perhaps a gradual loosening of the chin strap would be better than going cold turkey. I'll try reducing the tightness a tiny bit each week in hopes of eventually removing the strap.

I forgot to mention that the chin strap does not need to be super tight. What I did was adjust until it took a little effort to open my mouth. You will soon learn to what extent you should tighten it.

Good Luck to All!
Coffee
08-22-2014 10:10 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(08-22-2014 06:12 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:  Perhaps a gradual loosening of the chin strap would be better than going cold turkey. I'll try reducing the tightness a tiny bit each week in hopes of eventually removing the strap.

It's worth a try.

For me, my homemade ACE bandage chin straps stretch out over time and I start mouth leaking anyway. I've tried not using them for long periods of time with no success. Some people have success training themselves, but not me, at least not yet.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
08-22-2014 02:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

At 4:00 am this morning I decided "no more chinstrap for me, by gum....." So I took it off. Sure enough I slept as perfectly well after 4:00 as I had before 4:00. ..........and my leak numbers only increased from an average of around 7 before 4:00 to a little over 45 after 4:00. So that worked..........

Chinstrap goes back on tonight.
08-22-2014 02:14 PM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(08-22-2014 02:14 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  At 4:00 am this morning I decided "no more chinstrap for me, by gum....." So I took it off. Sure enough I slept as perfectly well after 4:00 as I had before 4:00. ..........and my leak numbers only increased from an average of around 7 before 4:00 to a little over 45 after 4:00. So that worked..........

Chinstrap goes back on tonight.

Don't give up r_g
Coffee
08-22-2014 03:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(08-22-2014 02:14 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  At 4:00 am this morning I decided "no more chinstrap for me, by gum....." So I took it off. Sure enough I slept as perfectly well after 4:00 as I had before 4:00. ..........and my leak numbers only increased from an average of around 7 before 4:00 to a little over 45 after 4:00. So that worked..........

I just got [commercial DME link removed per Apnea Board rules] and it's been nothing short of amazing.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
08-22-2014 03:33 PM
ShelaghDB Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 Auto-Set +Resmed H5i
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air FF Mask
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

LOL...I raced down to a store yesterday to buy my first chin strap and she showed me all these NeoPrene versions with tons of material around your ear and head.
She told me that many people complain they are too hot.

Showed me a picture on the internet of one she had put away in a package which was really one strap, with a hole cut out at ones chin and at the top of the head the straps have velcro on it so once on, then the mask on she said it would sit in place

Sort of like this one but with a less sophisticated closing system on the head. Mine is just velcro. No plastic tabs etc

[commercial link to DME removed per Apnea Board rules]

I blinked when she said it was $40 but i was on a hurry so I gave her the cash and it wasn't until I got home, opened it up and laughed when is saw what it was.
Hell, you could make this for about $5....where on earth they get off charging $40 was beyond me and i was stupid for having paid it but i was in a hurry so it was worth it just to get out of there quickly.

Now looking around........I see lot of the ones she said would be too hot but I am not sure how much they are but i believe they were less than what i paid.

So, ARE THEY THAT HOT?

Quote:(I am using a head sweatband as a chinstrap - works for me.)

Hmm sure wish I had thought of that. Those certainly do not cost $40 although if a DME packaged it they would.

Quote:I just got one of these and it's been nothing short of amazing.

Looks good. I looked into their shipping but they only will ship by USPS and coming into Canada, we then get dinged BIG TIME....one has to send it by regular post to get it without the dings....too bad, it looked good.

Quote:Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

And, still working?
Or did you revert back to mouth breathing after a few nights ++ ?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
08-22-2014 08:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(08-20-2014 09:42 AM)Bompa Wrote:  Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

Lo and Behold the strap has finally taught my mouth to stay closed while I sleep using my CPAP . What a treat!!!

That's great. A similar thing happened to me, but then I started mouth-leaking again, so it was back to the chin strap. Sad

It seems that for the first 5 or 6 hours I'm good, but then I start to mouth-leak in the wee hours of the morning. The chin strap usually keeps the leak under the limit, but I'm still concerned that it's interfering with my sleep.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-23-2014 10:05 AM
Ghandi Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: RemStar Pro with C-Flex+Philips Respironics System One
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10(resmed)
Humidifier: systeme one humidifier with humidity set at 3 and heat set at 1
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments:

(08-23-2014 10:05 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 09:42 AM)Bompa Wrote:  Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

Lo and Behold the strap has finally taught my mouth to stay closed while I sleep using my CPAP . What a treat!!!

That's great. A similar thing happened to me, but then I started mouth-leaking again, so it was back to the chin strap. Sad

It seems that for the first 5 or 6 hours I'm good, but then I start to mouth-leak in the wee hours of the morning. The chin strap usually keeps the leak under the limit, but I'm still concerned that it's interfering with my sleep.

I'm under the same impression. It's my life rigth now. I think it can be interfering even if it's under the limit.
09-24-2014 02:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I tried sleeping without the chinstrap because I do not like it but sadly my leaks went up Sad
So I am back to the chinstrap.
I will try again down the track, you never know one day my mouth may learn to stay nice and firmly closed!

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
09-25-2014 12:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,680 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 200 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  [Symptoms] Strap causes folliculitis sores fotoguy4u 6 432 10-04-2016 08:58 AM
Last Post: fotoguy4u
  [CPAP] can pacemaker users use CPAP machine wt92555 10 528 10-02-2016 07:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  ? for 960 ASV users bons 2 196 09-14-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: bons
  New Chin Strap experiment tonight FrankNichols 4 355 09-13-2016 03:41 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Need help/advice with chin strap Lanco 11 779 09-10-2016 04:10 PM
Last Post: pupcamper