Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Chin Strap Users
RE: Chin Strap Users
Perhaps a gradual loosening of the chin strap would be better than going cold turkey. I'll try reducing the tightness a tiny bit each week in hopes of eventually removing the strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 06:12 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: Perhaps a gradual loosening of the chin strap would be better than going cold turkey. I'll try reducing the tightness a tiny bit each week in hopes of eventually removing the strap.

I forgot to mention that the chin strap does not need to be super tight. What I did was adjust until it took a little effort to open my mouth. You will soon learn to what extent you should tighten it.

Good Luck to All!
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 06:12 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: Perhaps a gradual loosening of the chin strap would be better than going cold turkey. I'll try reducing the tightness a tiny bit each week in hopes of eventually removing the strap.

It's worth a try.

For me, my homemade ACE bandage chin straps stretch out over time and I start mouth leaking anyway. I've tried not using them for long periods of time with no success. Some people have success training themselves, but not me, at least not yet.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
At 4:00 am this morning I decided "no more chinstrap for me, by gum....." So I took it off. Sure enough I slept as perfectly well after 4:00 as I had before 4:00. ..........and my leak numbers only increased from an average of around 7 before 4:00 to a little over 45 after 4:00. So that worked..........

Chinstrap goes back on tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 02:14 PM)retired_guy Wrote: At 4:00 am this morning I decided "no more chinstrap for me, by gum....." So I took it off. Sure enough I slept as perfectly well after 4:00 as I had before 4:00. ..........and my leak numbers only increased from an average of around 7 before 4:00 to a little over 45 after 4:00. So that worked..........

Chinstrap goes back on tonight.

Don't give up r_g
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 02:14 PM)retired_guy Wrote: At 4:00 am this morning I decided "no more chinstrap for me, by gum....." So I took it off. Sure enough I slept as perfectly well after 4:00 as I had before 4:00. ..........and my leak numbers only increased from an average of around 7 before 4:00 to a little over 45 after 4:00. So that worked..........

I just got [commercial DME link removed per Apnea Board rules] and it's been nothing short of amazing.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL...I raced down to a store yesterday to buy my first chin strap and she showed me all these NeoPrene versions with tons of material around your ear and head.
She told me that many people complain they are too hot.

Showed me a picture on the internet of one she had put away in a package which was really one strap, with a hole cut out at ones chin and at the top of the head the straps have velcro on it so once on, then the mask on she said it would sit in place

Sort of like this one but with a less sophisticated closing system on the head. Mine is just velcro. No plastic tabs etc

[commercial link to DME removed per Apnea Board rules]

I blinked when she said it was $40 but i was on a hurry so I gave her the cash and it wasn't until I got home, opened it up and laughed when is saw what it was.
Hell, you could make this for about $5....where on earth they get off charging $40 was beyond me and i was stupid for having paid it but i was in a hurry so it was worth it just to get out of there quickly.

Now looking around........I see lot of the ones she said would be too hot but I am not sure how much they are but i believe they were less than what i paid.

So, ARE THEY THAT HOT?

Quote:(I am using a head sweatband as a chinstrap - works for me.)

Hmm sure wish I had thought of that. Those certainly do not cost $40 although if a DME packaged it they would.

Quote:I just got one of these and it's been nothing short of amazing.

Looks good. I looked into their shipping but they only will ship by USPS and coming into Canada, we then get dinged BIG TIME....one has to send it by regular post to get it without the dings....too bad, it looked good.

Quote:Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

And, still working?
Or did you revert back to mouth breathing after a few nights ++ ?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2014, 09:42 AM)Bompa Wrote: Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

Lo and Behold the strap has finally taught my mouth to stay closed while I sleep using my CPAP . What a treat!!!

That's great. A similar thing happened to me, but then I started mouth-leaking again, so it was back to the chin strap. Sad

It seems that for the first 5 or 6 hours I'm good, but then I start to mouth-leak in the wee hours of the morning. The chin strap usually keeps the leak under the limit, but I'm still concerned that it's interfering with my sleep.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 10:05 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-20-2014, 09:42 AM)Bompa Wrote: Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

Lo and Behold the strap has finally taught my mouth to stay closed while I sleep using my CPAP . What a treat!!!

That's great. A similar thing happened to me, but then I started mouth-leaking again, so it was back to the chin strap. Sad

It seems that for the first 5 or 6 hours I'm good, but then I start to mouth-leak in the wee hours of the morning. The chin strap usually keeps the leak under the limit, but I'm still concerned that it's interfering with my sleep.

I'm under the same impression. It's my life rigth now. I think it can be interfering even if it's under the limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried sleeping without the chinstrap because I do not like it but sadly my leaks went up Sad
So I am back to the chinstrap.
I will try again down the track, you never know one day my mouth may learn to stay nice and firmly closed!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,083 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,539 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.