Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Chin Strap Users
RE: Chin Strap Users
Happy I am that I can report that I was able to sleep without my chinstrap last night. The previous night with the chinstrap my 95 % leaks were 20. Last night they were a mere 85......... .......and I suspect my average was well over 20.

So, back to Mr. Chinstrap for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Retired_guy I was surprised to read your last post where you said your 95% leaks with a chinstrap were 20!
I would have thought the more experienced people like yourself would have had your leaks well under control.
I freak out when my leaks are 7 & 8 with my chinstrap and I am running around looking for reasons, and replacing my pillows after only two and three weeks.
Are you saying I am allowed to have quite high 95% leaks and do not need to worry about them?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm almost at three years and still have significant periods of large leak due to chin strap issues. They have gotten worse lately and I fear the dreaded FFM.

The only upside is that I've been able to verify that it's not the leaking that wakes me up. Or it doesn't seem to be. The few cases where I've noticed, the leaks stop for about 20 minutes before I wake up.

I have to use a new chin strap and adjust it so it's tight. What a pain.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster. So you wear your chinstrap quite tight as well? I have read where other people say they gently apply. I have to have mine quite firm which does not make for it being very comfortable.
Are you able to tell me please what most nights your average 95% would be?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2014, 05:35 PM)Gabby Wrote: Retired_guy I was surprised to read your last post where you said your 95% leaks with a chinstrap were 20!
I would have thought the more experienced people like yourself would have had your leaks well under control.
I freak out when my leaks are 7 & 8 with my chinstrap and I am running around looking for reasons, and replacing my pillows after only two and three weeks.
Are you saying I am allowed to have quite high 95% leaks and do not need to worry about them?

Except for last night I do pretty much keep the leaks under control. The 95% number really doesn't tell you that much. It just suggests that 95% of the time your mask didn't fall off, the cat didn't grab it, or whatever. The more meaningful number is the average. When I had a 95% of 20, my median number was 4.8. So not bad.

The best judge is to just eyeball the graph, and ignore the little peaks that might occur two or three times a night. If overall you stay below the line, you're doing well.

But, I learned once again last night that I have to use the chinstrap. But once again I will say that I would rather my median number spiked to 15 or 20 than have my body hurt from having the thing strapped down too tight. Actually I just looked and my median last night did spike to 14.8. So still not the end of the world even without the chinstrap. The term "gently applied" is, I think, the right way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks r_g but I am confused as to whether I should be looking at the 95%or the median.
I thought we had to always look at the 95%.
Now I am about to head back to Sleepyhead and check out what all my medians were, compared to my 95%'s.
I know I am very lucky with my leaks compared to some people but they are a niggling little thing that we do like to be in control of, aren't they?
Even though I don't like my chinstrap I will continue to wear it as I know it makes all the difference to my leakage.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
It's an artform, not a science. Look at everything, but mostly just note whether or not for the vast majority of your sleeping period if your leaks are below the red line. 95% is a good thing to watch, but can, if that's all you're looking at, be misleading. "med" represents more of an overall average, but I still want to see if there are periods during the 8 hour cycle where improvements are needed.

........and yes, the leak thing is never a settled issue. Depending on so many variables it will go up or down from one night to the next. So it becomes a "do the best you can" sort of thing, and as long as it is mostly under the red line, that's good enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I have just been back and had a look at some of my worst leaks, 8's, 9's, 13 and even one 22! But the first three all had zero medians so that put a smile on my face. That is just this month, but roughly how they vary every month.
I think I will have to stop taking them so seriously. I just hate that hiss.
Cheers r_g.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE

Here it is 5 weeks later ands still no need for chin restraint.
Leaks are still minimal.
lots-o-coffeeWay-to-happy
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 08:36 AM)Bompa Wrote: Here it is 5 weeks later ands still no need for chin restraint.
Leaks are still minimal.

Nice. SHa_clap2
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,067 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,537 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,171 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.