Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Coffee is number one source of antioxidants
Old article from 2005, but good info for we who enjoy the juice of the bean... Coffee

Coffee is number one source of antioxidants

Coffee provides more than just a morning jolt; that steaming cup of java is also the number one source of antioxidants in the U.S. diet, according to a new study by researchers at the University of Scranton (Pa.). Their study was described today at the 230th national meeting of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

"Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other dietary source. Nothing else comes close," says study leader Joe Vinson, Ph.D., a chemistry professor at the university. Although fruits and vegetables are generally promoted as good sources of antioxidants, the new finding is surprising because it represents the first time that coffee has been shown to be the primary source from which most Americans get their antioxidants, Vinson says. Both caffeinated and decaf versions appear to provide similar antioxidant levels, he adds.

He cautions that high antioxidant levels in foods and beverages don't necessarily translate into levels found in the body. The potential health benefits of these antioxidants ultimately depends on how they are absorbed and utilized in the body, a process that is still poorly understood, says Vinson, whose study was primarily funded by the American Cocoa Research Institute.

The news follows a growing number of reports touting the potential health benefits of drinking coffee. It also comes at an appropriate time: Coffee consumption is on the rise in the United States and over half of Americans drink it everyday, according to the National Coffee Association.

Antioxidants in general have been linked to a number of potential health benefits, including protection against heart disease and cancer. For the current study, Vinson and his associates analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and common beverages. The data was compared to an existing U.S. Department of Agriculture database on the contribution of each type of food item to the average estimated U.S. per capita consumption.

Coffee came out on top, on the combined basis of both antioxidants per serving size and frequency of consumption, Vinson says. Java easily outranked such popular antioxidant sources as tea, milk, chocolate and cranberries, he says. Of all the foods and beverages studied, dates actually have the most antioxidants of all based solely on serving size, according to Vinson. But since dates are not consumed at anywhere near the level of coffee, the blue ribbon goes to our favorite morning pick-me-up as the number one source of antioxidants, he says.

Besides keeping you alert and awake, coffee has been linked to an increasing number of potential health benefits, including protection against liver and colon cancer, type 2 diabetes, and Parkinson's disease, according to some recently published studies. But there's also a downside: Java can make you jittery and cause stomach pains, while some studies have tied it to elevated blood pressure and heart rates. More research is needed, particularly human studies, to firmly establish its health benefits, Vinson says.

While the findings would seem to encourage people to go out and drink more coffee, Vinson emphasizes moderation. "One to two cups a day appear to be beneficial," he says. If you don't like coffee, consider drinking black tea, which is the second most consumed antioxidant source in the U.S. diet, Vinson says. Bananas, dry beans and corn placed third, fourth and fifth, respectively.

But don't forget about fresh fruits and veggies, the researcher cautions. "Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber," Vinson says. Dates, cranberries and red grapes are among the top fruits for antioxidants on the basis of concentration (antioxidants per serving size), he says.

[Image: ACS-chart081905.gif]

Fair Use applies, from:
http://phys.org/news6067.html
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Uh, Americans drink brown water. Europeans (not the English) drink COFFEE.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my "room," I have an automatic espresso machine that I use for all day long coffee. I also have two regular espresso machines, one of which I bought just because it was so darn cute, that I use to get me by in between regular coffees. I also have a coffee roaster so I can roast my own beans because nobody else's is good enough. But in general, yeah, I would agree that our coffee for the most part leaves a lot to be desired.

Post Reply Post Reply

DocWills,

There are those who think that Europeans (excluding the British) drink brown water!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another benefit: Serving coffee always helps in social situations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PpX4PU-EQ8
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Supersleeper,

Are we just trying to justify our addiction??

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-17-2014, 05:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Are we just trying to justify our addiction??

Don't know about "we", but I sure am. Bigwink Too-funny
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: tumblr_this-is-the-thyme.gif]
A cup of coffee a day keeps the doctor away

11 Reasons Why You Should Drink Coffee Every Day
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17...02133.html

[Image: coffee-gif1.gif]
Just smelling coffee could make you less stressed.

[Image: billmurray.gif]
Coffee may make you more intelligent.

[Image: tumblr_lbatl.gif]

[Image: tumblr_m3w9j9TqZi1r8nrkqo1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_mqygj5jARu1sogdb9o1_1280.gif]
Moral of the story? COFFEE IS THE BEST THING EVER. KEEP DRINKING IT

Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee served by Kevin would be good any time! ... just sayin!
(04-17-2014, 02:00 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Another benefit: Serving coffee always helps in social situations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PpX4PU-EQ8

Post Reply Post Reply

(04-17-2014, 05:58 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 05:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Are we just trying to justify our addiction??

Don't know about "we", but I sure am. Bigwink Too-funny

I said "we' for good reason. When people used to ask me how many cups of coffee I drank each day, I would tell them that they were asking the wrong question. The question that they needed to ask was how many pots of coffee I drank each day.lots-o-coffee

I used to drink coffee right up to the time I went to bed and almost never had any problem sleeping.

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 504 09-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 3,181 06-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,659 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 1,172 12-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 4,620 10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk
  New Coffee We Tried me50 46 5,046 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,895 07-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123