[News] Coffee is number one source of antioxidants
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: Coffee is number one source of antioxidants
Yeah, that's the funny thing for me... I generally don't consider myself a caffeine or coffee addict. I've been able to stop drinking caffeinated beverages cold turkey for a few weeks, with no major withdrawal symptoms, and jump right back onto 4-6 cups a day for several more weeks or months (usually moreso in the winter cold) and then off again with no major problems. Generally don't drink as much coffee during the hot summertime.

While coffee does help me think clearer and become more alert (especially in the morning hours), I can drink a cup or two during the late evening and still have no problem falling asleep at night.

I can take it, or leave it. But I prefer to take it, of course. CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-17-2014 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

I only have one cup with caffeine in the morning and another decaf after I get to work. After having had breast cancer, I got tired of being scared at yearly mammograms when they would call me back in for extra pictures, then ultrasound, then the dreaded words 'the doctor would like to see you' ... to determine if they want to do a biopsy. Since I have backed off on caffeine I have sailed through with just one set of pictures and they send me home with a clean bill of health.
04-17-2014 08:37 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(04-17-2014 01:40 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  DocWills,

There are those who think that Europeans (excluding the British) drink brown water!

In Peru, maybe, but not North Americans! Next time you are in Italy, ask for a clean Lavazza and see if you can drink it straight.Wink

My late father in law served an espresso you could stand a sugar cube on, and I had a Greek landlady who served a coffee that poured like syrup. Generally, the further north you go, the "weaker" it gets, so that Holland serves something similar to whatever I have encountered in New York or Boston, while the Brits, who certainly DO have a fabulous tea tradition, serve a coffee that could only be described as a crime against humanity, something even a five year old American would turn up their nose at for its watery weakness.

Starbucks, when they first started here in Zurich, nearly folded until they adjusted their mix and strengths to local tastes. They had to up the prices because they needed to use more coffee and stronger blends per cup.
04-18-2014 03:53 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I don't think coffee needs to be incredibly strong to be palatable, but it must never be bitter. On several trips to the US and Canada I never once got what I would regard as a decent cup of coffee - it was either weak brown water or incredibly bitter (usually the latter). My preference is a medium-strong blend, flat white or cappuccino. That's an Australian style flat white with frothed milk but nearly as frothy as a cappuccino.

I used to have up to eight a day, but in those days it was almost always instant. Vomit Nowadays I have one or at most two really nice cups. Coffee Coffee

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-18-2014 05:28 AM
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: s9 elite
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

I am more a green tea person myself. It's a more mellow calming affect than coffee which is more a wired feeling.

Make no mistake, when I need to stay up tog et things done it's coffee but day to day it's green tea all the way and I am not totally educated in all the health benefits of green tea but what I have read has all been positive.
04-22-2014 08:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: s9 elite
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

(04-18-2014 05:28 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  I don't think coffee needs to be incredibly strong to be palatable, but it must never be bitter. On several trips to the US and Canada I never once got what I would regard as a decent cup of coffee - it was either weak brown water or incredibly bitter (usually the latter). My preference is a medium-strong blend, flat white or cappuccino. That's an Australian style flat white with frothed milk but nearly as frothy as a cappuccino.

I used to have up to eight a day, but in those days it was almost always instant. Vomit Nowadays I have one or at most two really nice cups. Coffee Coffee

*gasp* did you try tim horton's coffee when you were in Canada? Most coffee in north America is a dark roast and they just burn the beans to get that "strong" taste....cough Starbucks cough

Not a coffee expert but I prefer a light roast but this takes a somewhat skilled barista to get it right without tasting watery.

Or you can just get a double shot americano and call it a day, which is just espresso with water to make it "seem" like a large cup of coffee for Americans who need size, the name is dripping with sarcasm....lol
04-22-2014 09:52 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

I have been drinking my coffee black with nothing else in it since I was in college. I went to black with sugar one morning because I was too lazy to put a new 5 gal milk container in the dispenser at my fraternity. I cut out the sugar a couple of hours later because the line was "too long" to get sugar in the student union. When I was in the AF, had a flight doc make the comment they found some blood in your caffeine stream. I have always been a heavy coffee drinker and probably will be.

I prefer a darker roast and the only time I add cream or sweetener is when making iced coffee. One advantage to no cream or sugar - you can keep using the same cup and get it well seasoned.

Now, if you want some caffeine, try Death Wish coffee. They have one brew that is 54 mg/ounce. For comparison, Starbucks is around 20. When I get the word their coffee mugs are back in stock, I will order a mug and a box of K-cups. Only plan on having one cup a day or I will be able to jump from roof top to roof top. Too-funny
04-23-2014 12:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 219 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,453 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,278 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 929 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 3,871 10-05-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk
  New Coffee We Tried me50 46 4,133 08-30-2015 07:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,583 07-21-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123