Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA
Angry 
DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA
This story is pretty much a reason for you to encourage your family and friends who exhibit symptoms of sleep apnea to bite the bullet and see their physicians to get tested. The sooner the better.

Engineer in NJ Transit Crash Had Undiagnosed Sleep Apnea

"The engineer of a commuter train that slammed into a station going double the 10 mph speed limit, killing a woman, suffered from sleep apnea that had gone undiagnosed, two U.S. officials told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

One official said investigators are looking at it as a potential cause.
The officials, who were briefed on the investigation, spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the matter.

They said the engineer, 48-year-old Thomas Gallagher, was diagnosed with sleep apnea after the Sept. 29 crash in Hoboken, the officials said."

Considering the long-term health effects of undiagnosed sleep apnea is well worth the effort to ensure those you care about are as healthy as possible.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...leep-apnea
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA
The real shame is the people who should be diagnosing this are not doing their part to tell people about it, and or get them treatment. Despite how many times I would say I was tired no one told me anything about OSA. It took a total stranger to get me to seek treatment and name it to the Dr.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSA is a major health issue and goes vastly under diagnosed both because doctors aren't checking for it and because people either aren't reporting it or titrating what they tell their doctor in an attempt to hide it to avoid the diagnosis and consequent therapy. Perhaps if the media did a better job in demystifying CPAP therapy (machines are quieter, portable, comfortable etc.. then they ever have been) more people wouldn't be afraid of it.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My cardiologist diagnosed my OSA (because he couldn't find anything wrong with my heart and used that old Sherlock Holmes/Occam's Razor principle when everything thing else has been eliminated then what's left must be the cause).
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2016, 04:11 AM)holden4th Wrote: My cardiologist diagnosed my OSA (because he couldn't find anything wrong with my heart and used that old Sherlock Holmes/Occam's Razor principle when everything thing else has been eliminated then what's left must be the cause).

Is he a multi-disciplinarian?
Did you have a confirmatory sleep test?
Did he also check your fluid status and thyroid -- both of which can be associated with heart issues?
Did he check pulmonary function (possible COPD) and do an echo cardiogram
And, did he monitor you for at least a week with a Zio Patch to catch any random arrhythmias?

What I am asking is, how thorough do you think he was or did he just decide because he couldn't find anything, it must be OSA?

Occam's Razor is such that, the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation is or given two possible solutions, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. Unfortunately, it does not really apply to medicine when events are transient and/or random.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2016, 04:11 AM)holden4th Wrote: My cardiologist diagnosed my OSA (because he couldn't find anything wrong with my heart and used that old Sherlock Holmes/Occam's Razor principle when everything thing else has been eliminated then what's left must be the cause).

Is he a multi-disciplinarian?
Did you have a confirmatory sleep test?
Did he also check your fluid status and thyroid -- both of which can be associated with heart issues?
Did he check pulmonary function (possible COPD) and do an echo cardiogram
And, did he monitor you for at least a week with a Zio Patch to catch any random arrhythmias?

What I am asking is, how thorough do you think he was or did he just decide because he couldn't find anything, it must be OSA?

Occam's Razor is such that, the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation is or given two possible solutions, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. Unfortunately, it does not really apply to medicine when events are transient and/or random.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep apnea was first suspected by my cardiologist while spending a week in the hospital trying to find the cause of my atrial fibrillation. He could find no underlying cause for the afib coupled with the fact that I quit breathing while on the table awaiting shock treatment. Sent me for PSG and I became a known Sleep apneac. That was after several years of my complaining to my PCP that I was falling asleep during meetings and while watching TV. I had heard about sleep apnea and snoring but didn't think that was it because my wife and I had cured the snoring with a wedge pillow and judicious use of the "elbow alarm".

Medical events are not really random, they are just random to us humans.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2016, 02:44 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My sleep apnea was first suspected by my cardiologist while spending a week in the hospital trying to find the cause of my atrial fibrillation. He could find no underlying cause for the afib coupled with the fact that I quit breathing while on the table awaiting shock treatment. Sent me for PSG and I became a known Sleep apneac. That was after several years of my complaining to my PCP that I was falling asleep during meetings and while watching TV. I had heard about sleep apnea and snoring but didn't think that was it because my wife and I had cured the snoring with a wedge pillow and judicious use of the "elbow alarm".

Medical events are not really random, they are just random to us humans.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Great to hear you're on top of things.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Undiagnosed but trialing a CPAP SleepyBee10 1 103 03-12-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 193 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,820 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.