Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] DMEs to begin delivering CPAPs for your pet
Idea 
DMEs to begin delivering CPAPs for your pet
[Image: cat-mask.jpg]
Durable Medical Equipment Suppliers to start promotion of Pet CPAP supplies

by Max Barkley, SleepHealthNewsSite 4-1-16

A new trend is emerging within the U.S. medical equipment realm that is sure to please animal-rights groups: CPAP machines for your kitty or doggie.

Due to an obscure section of the Affordable Care Act, U.S.-based durable medical equipment suppliers are looking to cash in on selling CPAP machines to owners of dogs and cats with sleep apnea. In order to qualify for coverage, the animals must be certified "service or emotional support animals" by the National Service Animal Registry. Under Subpart B - Eligibility Determination of the ACA, mandatory coverage for these animals will begin April 31, 2016.

After six weeks of being held up in committee, Congress recently authorized $300 million of feral funds for this section of the ACA via the recently-passed bipartisan compromise Ominbus Spending Bill of 2016.

According to Julie Springbow, Associate Director, Animal Health Alliance, the new regulations are a "positive step forward in human health as well as helping our furry friends". "People just don't get it", says Springbow, "...snoring service animals affects human health as well. Try getting a good night's sleep with your dog next to you who snores louder than your husband. This is an issue for human health, too."

According to Rep. Peter Viscoslkey, "This funding is a win-win for humans and animals. By helping our animals who have sleep apnea, it also helps our own health by allowing service animal owners to get a good night's sleep without being constantly interrupted by their snoring dog".

If you have a service animal and you suspect they have sleep apnea, Springbow suggests you contact your health care provider prior to April 31st in order to fill out the necessary paperwork for coverage. "The form itself is only 45 pages long - not bad when you consider the alternative of living with an animal who has untreated sleep apnea" she advises.

Medical equipment suppliers are already sending out notifications to veterinary offices around the nation, hoping to cash in on this new revenue stream. "This is a good thing," says Springbow, "I'm already starting to see ads for doggie and kitty CPAPs and masks on many vet supply websites. They're getting the word out about this. It's now the first of April, and people need to be alerted to get their insurance paperwork done before April 31st if they want to get their animal treated under the ACA's new regulations".

Fair use applies, from:
http://www.SleepHealthNewsSite.us/animal-CPAPs.htm

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DMEs to begin delivering CPAPs for your pet
Finally, someone does an April Fool's gag!
Bravo!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't want to try putting a mask on a pet! I imagine scratches, bites, and lost fingers would be a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is for real. Just called my vet to confirm. I'll be filling out the 45 page form tonight. I just hope I can get a data-capable CPAP for my pup. I've already contacted JediMark about him making a forked version of SleepyHead that will take into account my pup's various shallow breathing patterns that will undoubtedly mess up his human-based calculations.

Nothing but the best for my pup, 'ya know. I'm not going to wait until the April 31st deadline. I need to get that paperwork done now.... even before I start on my taxes. My dog's health is more important than the IRS getting their money, IMHO.

Thumbs-up-2
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Does medicare covert it? Where do you take them to get the sleep study?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Henry Waxman Introduces New Bill

In a related news story, Congressman Henry Waxman, upon hearing about the new animal CPAP funding bill, wrote some new legislation of his own, designed to help CPAP-mask wearers who have been harmed by "nasal pillow" CPAP masks. He claims that his nostrils have been irreparably enlarged by these types of masks.

[Image: Henry-Waxman-Nostrils.jpg]
Waxman: "Mr. Speaker, today I'm proposing legislation
to outlaw evil, nostril-enlarging nasal pillows devices
"

Here in the newsroom, we wish him well and support his efforts completely.
Go get 'em Henry!!

Eat-popcorn
The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will you have coverage for a broken machine if your furry friend gets spooked and takes off running, dragging the machine by the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2016, 03:10 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: Does medicare covert it?

Yes, but not until the dog reaches age 65, according to the funding bill. The democrats and republicans are currently arguing back and forth over whether or not this means 65 human years, or (in the case of dogs) about 9 years (in doggie years).

Although, for low-income households who have Medicaid, the bill is clear that any household members are covered for all dependants, regardless of age and regardless of whether they have two feet or four.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2016, 03:13 PM)big_dave Wrote: Will you have coverage for a broken machine if your furry friend gets spooked and takes off running, dragging the machine by the hose?

This part is unclear. And it's causing the two opposing political parties to fight like cats & dogs as to the intent of the legislation.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2016, 03:17 PM)ApneaNews Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 03:10 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: Does medicare covert it?

Yes, but not until the dog reaches age 65, according to the funding bill. The democrats and republicans are currently arguing back and forth over whether or not this means 65 human years, or (in the case of dogs) about 9 years (in doggie years).

Although, for low-income households who have Medicaid, the bill is clear that any household members are covered for all dependants, regardless of age and regardless of whether they have two feet or four.

I believe they will be covered under the new healthcare plan, Medicat .
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question DMEs in the PNW (Story & Question) SquishySquishCat 9 756 01-28-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Advice on buying rental CPAPS online fincy 2 703 06-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  Where do I begin? [AirCurve 10 ST to Aircurve 10 ASV ] Bird Brain 56 4,962 12-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Recommended DMEs? Apria is awful tierdal 12 1,820 12-03-2021, 02:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Have I been destroying my CPAPs? SleeplessInVirginia 12 1,318 08-24-2021, 01:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.