Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 fan motor rubber belt faulty
ResMed S9 fan motor rubber belt faulty

I'm new to this forum, but have been using a ResMed S9 since September 2011. The first machine I returned to the supplier Apria when I woke up with my mask and breath through cloth covering on. I went into the bathroom and from the mirror saw black smoke fanning out like rays of the sun from the mask. I took off the mask and cloth and found the cloth I was breathing through too was "dirty".

I made and appointment and went to Apria in Cromwell CT. They promptly offered another S9 as a replacement May 2012. They promised to let me know what the problem was. I waited a month then called to find the answer not forthcoming but was promised a return call. Over the year I made several calls all with a promised call. Finally I called and said maybe a lawyer would help get a response. My next call I was referred to their legal departments phone #. OH Boy what a pain.

So here I am going through a Stem Cell Transplant at Sloan-Kettering and what happens yup you guessed it I smell rubber after taking off the mask and letting it run for a few minutes. Again I call Apria telling them of the possible fan belt problem and again they offer a new S9 unit. No questions no referrals to the legal department.

So I ask the group have you ever inhaled the black rubber from the fan belt in the Res Med S9 unit? Most people would sleep through it I guess. but for these units it seems problematic after a year of use or so. I feel grateful of having been warned first by the bathroom mirror (i took photo's) and now just by smell after the machine was running with no face on it.

So I hope this helps the group to be on the look out. Please share any similar stories.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 fan motor rubber belt faulty
Welcome and thanks for sharing, I,m not aware of any fan belt problems just some noise at exhale
Some people reported they smell something burning when they forget to top up the water in the tank or not changing the filter when get dirty

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CBass,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I've not heard of this particular problem.
Hope you get one that will keep working for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the black mask liner problem too. I believe it was from burning a candle with the wicks not trimmed properly. Only happened once, am using the same machine with no issues.

Just something to consider, am not sure if it applies to you situation.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ot-problem

Good luck and keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope your issue is resolved soon.

Just curious- how do you know there's a fan belt? Seems a bit odd that a blower with an integrated DC electric motor would need one. Also hard to believe they would put one in a respiratory device.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2013, 01:53 PM)Paptillian Wrote: I hope your issue is resolved soon.

Just curious- how do you know there's a fan belt? Seems a bit odd that a blower with an integrated DC electric motor would need one. Also hard to believe they would put one in a respiratory device.

Excellent question. Isn't the motor direct drive?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here some pictures and links posted in this thread .. Inside view of ResMed S9
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...9+pictures

[Image: S9-top-inside.png]
[Image: S9-bottom-inside.png]
[Image: S9-board-underside.png]

S9 series motor fact sheet
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not allowed to post links yet since I just joined, but perhaps someone else can add this. Doing a Google search on the keywords "resmed fan belt" brings up a document titled "ResMed Origins" (second hit). It seems to be a lengthy history of the company.

On page 18 there's a reference to a switch in motor design from a belt-driven one to a direct drive DC motor. That happened in the 1980's.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2013, 08:10 PM)Paptillian Wrote: I'm not allowed to post links yet since I just joined, but perhaps someone else can add this. Doing a Google search on the keywords "resmed fan belt" brings up a document titled "ResMed Origins" (second hit). It seems to be a lengthy history of the company.

On page 18 there's a reference to a switch in motor design from a belt-driven one to a direct drive DC motor. That happened in the 1980's.

Here's the link:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...rigins.pdf

Interesting document! Thanks.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,892 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,349 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 273 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,254 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
Question [CPAP] Reset motor run hours after new motor djforrestidaho 9 805 12-06-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9/AS10 Blower Motor Tester vk3hjq 7 1,879 12-03-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: FaceInTheCrowd
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,297 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.