Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder
Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder
[Image: wsaz_BooneFatalVictim.jpeg]

Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder

BOONE COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A deadly accident has ripped a young family apart. One month from now, a baby girl will be born and will never get to meet her father.

David Fraker, 27, died in a crash Tuesday night.

Fraker’s family says he had a severe case of sleep apnea and has had several accidents from falling asleep at the wheel.

“He had beautiful eyes, beautiful teeth, a beautiful smile and always the same,” Missy Toler, Fraker’s stepsister, said.

Fraker and his fiancé were expecting their first child.

“He was so excited about the baby. He wanted to name her Shaylyn,” Toler said.

But Shaylyn will never meet her dad. Fraker was driving along Route 119 when he got behind a tractor-trailer and rear-ended it.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Early indicators lead to that he was definitely taking prescription medication at the time of the crash,” Boone County Chief Deputy Chad Barker said.

In Fraker’s car, deputies found pills they say had been prescribed by a doctor. His family believes the medicine was for his sleep apnea.

“Often he would have to pull over on the side of the road and sleep,” Toler said. “He had just spoke to his fiancé prior to the accident and said he was very tired, very sleepy, and he wanted to go home.”

But Fraker never made it home, and in just one month -- that's where his daughter will be.

"We’ll definitely make sure she knows she had an awesome father, and he would have been there for her. I'm sure her life would have been full of joy,” Toler said.

Deputies are waiting for Fraker's autopsy results to know for sure if the sleep apnea or the medication caused the crash.

fair use from:
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/UPDAT...05161.html

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder
This guy was driving a car....why? :/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
It never specifies Obstructive Apnea - but assuming it was, I wonder what medication would have been prescribed and why.

I would love to echo Shastzi and ask why in the world he was behind the wheel; but, unfortunately I already know why...he was behind the wheel for the same reasons I was when I was in that condition.

That could have been me just a year ago...

Very sad story.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2013, 11:08 AM)ApneaNews Wrote: In Fraker’s car, deputies found pills they say had been prescribed by a doctor. His family believes the medicine was for his sleep apnea.

What sort of medicine is prescribed for sleep apnea?
The article doesn't mention if he was on cpap therapy or not.

It is a sad story and one that can be avoided. Driver fatigue is the #2 reason for car crashes. #1 is distracted drive and #3 is drunk driving.
Post Reply Post Reply
The medicine was probably just some kind of upper to combat excessive daytime sleepiness.

There's no pill that treats sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Drug could have been Modafinil.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a sobering experience a long time ago with sleep-driving and immediately pulled over and had my passenger, who was napping, take over as driver.
I was lucky that time but I will never be too proud to ask for a ride or just stay someplace for a nap.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I worked with a fellow years ago, who told an interesting story.
He was working night shift in LA, CA. He lived in San Diego and commuted on weekends. Leaving work Friday night he woke up Saturday morning in Sequoia National Park, about a hundred miles in the wrong direction. He had no idea how he got there.
Post Reply Post Reply
bwexler:
I say to that story: "Yow"

I was driving along I-10 at the time late at night. Just a bit drowsy but ok. I was in the right lane. Nothing unusual.
Then a car passed us at high speed continued a good bit down the road in front of us and proceeded to flip over with all the noise, sparks and violence of such a scene.
I started to apply the brakes and started to plan an escape path to avoid it.
My sleeping passenger woke up and asked what was wrong
but about that time the passing car had vanished into thin air...

So..either that section of road was haunted, or I was hallucinating.

Occams razor say go with number 2.
It changed my life though.

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
That could have been me less than a year ago.
Had a few close calls before I was able to finally see a doctor and get diagnosed with Sleep Apnea.
I would nod off sitting at a red light.
Now that I have my CPAP I am wide awake and no more sleepy driving.
Probably saved my life or at least saved me from a accident waiting to happen.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 373 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 996 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,315 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Treatment] How can my father improve his AHI? azaz1994 7 497 08-21-2023, 04:59 AM
Last Post: azaz1994
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 793 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.