Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver Elan
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder
Why was he behind the wheel? Because the general medical community is hopelessly ignorant of sleep apnea and its effects upon patients. They're slow to respond to people suffering from apnea, woefully ignorant of the creeping debilitation that comes upon its victims, and in general very apathetic to the suffering of the patient. Their ignorance is only bested by the general public (i.e. coworkers and bosses).

For months I was degenerating last winter and my new primary care doctor couldn't care less. He was irritated that I was so adamant about getting relief on a time-table less than 6+ weeks when I was already in the throes of exhaustion. It got to the point that I began to suffer from motor functioning unbenknownst to me. I thought my manual transmission was having problems. It was my exhaustion! I could not operate the clutch with enough delicate release so I was continually bucking the car into 1st gear!

I was sure the car had a tranny problem, but my wife could drive it fine. I was perplexed as the issue persisted. After fighting with pcp, insurer, and some go-between known as "care corps" I was able to get a new CPAP machine. Within a week of therapy my transmission magically stopped bucking.

I commuted two hours a day in and out of a major metropolitan area. I had already taken so many days off of work this year, I was at risk of losing my next year's contract. I had to go to keep going to work. All the while I had to spend every waking moment on the phone with doctors and insurers. I thank God for helping me get through it. Without Jesus, I would have cracked completely.
05-02-2013 05:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

FireInCairo, I think *you* deserve the credit for being strong of spirit and persistant as hell.
That's what gets things done. God & Jesus don't do everything *for* us.
Otherwise we'd all be rich and famous without having to try.

Keep up the good work.

hmm...You might want to look into getting going with SleepyHead software so
you can check on any changes in your sleep patterns.
(Another thing some Dr's dont worry about)

Cheers!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
05-02-2013 07:22 PM
FireInCairo Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver Elan
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
(05-02-2013 07:22 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  FireInCairo, I think *you* deserve the credit for being strong of spirit and persistant as hell.
That's what gets things done. God & Jesus don't do everything *for* us.
Otherwise we'd all be rich and famous without having to try.

I credit Jesus with all of it, because I know He worked a miracle through a demented, apathetic medical system that is only going to get worse.

So, for those who will be confronted in the future with the kind of nonsense I had to go through already, don't hesitate to call upon the name of the Lord Jesus!

But... back to my primary point: Apnea has debilitating effects if left untreated that will actually impair your motor function.

I remember before I was finally diagnosed with a sleep study I would slur my speech. I was afraid people would think I was drinking on the job! Unsure
05-05-2013 04:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is "Clear Airway" it's not in the sleep disorder glossery Tiercel 8 683 06-22-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: richb
Information Family support ezdrifler 15 1,007 01-23-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Dr. Shahrokh Javaheri on sleep disorder Mark Douglas 0 518 06-18-2015 12:24 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  Questions about giving am old machine to a family member HotKludge 13 1,923 02-12-2015 05:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [News] Sleep drunkenness disorder - 1 in 7 chance you have it ApneaNews 5 1,573 09-03-2014 05:44 PM
Last Post: archangle
  SD anxiety...a new disorder? and for nothing! djjwilly 7 1,893 11-20-2013 01:45 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
Question CPAP and sensory processing disorder anniepg 10 3,744 06-30-2013 10:29 PM
Last Post: bunnyslippers