Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] HOW CRAZY IS THIS?
Question 
HOW CRAZY IS THIS?
It appears that government-sponsored trials of MAGNAP are underway.

This is where a magnet is implanted in the patient and paired with a magnetic collar -- all for the purpose of keeping the airway open at night.

However, this precludes the patient from undergoing an MRI which might be essential to the detection and diagnosis of life-threatening conditions in the future. So it appears that the risks for future health may not outweigh the limited benefits of addressing sleep apnea in a unconventional way. And, of course, this precludes the use of a pacemaker or ICD.

Quote:Magnap is a magnet-activated treatment for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) designed to be less invasive than reconstructive surgery, more tolerable than positive airway pressure, and more effective than non-invasive therapies for OSA.

The Magnap device consists of a neodymium-iron-boron rare earth magnet with a ferromagnetic directional back-plate encased in titanium.

The device will be implanted surgically on the hyoid bone.

Following surgery, the patient is fitted with a custom, removable external neck accessory containing a second magnet, which is worn during sleep and prevents airway collapse by attracting the internal hyoid magnet with sufficient force to keep the airway open .

Magnetic Apnea Prevention(MAGNAP) Device to Treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea:First-In-Human Study of Feasibility and Safety (MAGNAP) https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02431507
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW CRAZY IS THIS?
Gross! I'll stick with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW CRAZY IS THIS?
Wow, that is crazy. I'll pass on this one. PAP devices really aren't cumbersome enough to warrant anything like this for me. Sometimes I actually like my mask...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 381 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Mask driving me crazy phoebesalva 8 494 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  Low RDI but still feeling tired... crazy tidal volume psreiser 2 539 10-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: psreiser
Gross Mask noises are making me crazy Dreamless 7 813 09-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Dreamless
  Wife's Crazy Sleeping Heart Rate, Ideas? Apnea23 11 1,163 04-14-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: pwnorris
  [split] Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes... oqwif 6 853 12-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Crazy Breathing Patterns, Difficult with CPAP Post Covid asuter060514 7 1,037 09-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.