Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Has anybody investigated this new apparatus "Provent" for OSA
Has anybody investigated this new apparatus "Provent" for OSA

A co-worker of mine sent me this article on a relatively new apparatus called "Provent". It doesn't work for everybody but it sounds great and can't wait until it is covered under insurance. It might be hard to get use to your nostrils being plugged up like that.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/09...ef=general
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anybody investigated this new apparatus "Provent" for OSA
I don't think anyone here has tried them.

I don't see how it works. And they're useless if you mouth breathe.

The cost of it is unreal. But then, $70 a month is about right for a lot of medications.

I don't want them. They make me feel suffocated just thinking of them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In the report it does state that one reason why they don't think it has caught on yet is because of the expense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 10:14 PM)swilson Wrote: In the report it does state that one reason why they don't think it has caught on yet is because of the expense.

That sounds amazing. hopefully we will get them over here soon and surely if you mouth breath you could where a chin strap to keep your mouth closed?
Post Reply Post Reply
The compliance is sure promising. I have been on CPAP since Feb. 1/12 and I am finding that I get use to the mask but then there are days I feel like I am trying to hard and just want to be normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read of two people on another forum who liked Provent. You breathe through your mouth until you're asleep and then most people naturally switch over to nasal breathing. They don't work for everyone, but would be handy for a camping trip or power outage. Better than nothing and the two folks I mentioned were very pleased. They had not had a sleep study while using them though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks interesting. However, the fact it wasn't covered by my insurance made it a "No Go" for me. Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the Provent things for a while last summer after being diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Unfortunately, I did a lot of mouth breathing so they didn't work for me and my sleep doc never suggested a chin strap. My experience in using them was that it was somewhat difficult to breath with them as they restrict the exhale which is what causes the back pressure to keep the airway open. This caused me to take them off several nights. I also believe that this caused me to breath through my mouth on exhale. I also read something that stated that there might be a problem with co2 build up due to the restricted exhale. They were not terribly uncomfortable, a bit like a nasal pillows I guess except for the pressure on exhale. Of course, they have no data readout so you can't determine whether you are successfully treating your apnea or not. They are a bit pricy and I can confirm that my insurance did not pay.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that information!

I was concerned about the amount of effort it would take to exhale. I developed the bad habit of breathing when I was very young and am quite addicted to it.

If you could, would you please do a review of them in the Reviews section?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...iews-Forum
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks DEND746. You gave alot of detail and I don't think I want to try them. In addition, I didn't even think about the fact that there would be no stats on how last night went. I didn't check the Review thread to see if you posted there. I hope you did because you have alot of information. I'm going to check now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Provent Therapy - Where Can I Find It? JustinFL 2 665 07-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Last Post: HelenB
  My Last 3 Weeks On Provent BG50 5 1,265 05-25-2020, 09:09 AM
Last Post: vrapche031
  Experience with Provent? EmilySleeps 38 13,872 03-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Mrussell
  Newbie question about travel: CPAP or Provent? foxwoodfarm 8 1,916 08-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Anybody has experience with the Provent system? Russatrice 10 2,994 12-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Provent bennett 16 3,681 04-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Provent app1nag 3 2,286 01-29-2016, 05:59 AM
Last Post: 49er

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.