[News] Heads-Up: More Than 21 Million Affected by Second Federal Data Breach
ApneaNews Offline
Apnea News Correspondent
Advisory Members

Machine: IBM Selectric II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: 3M N95 (it gets dusty in the newsroom)
Humidifier: Sears Kenmore (circa 1979)
CPAP Pressure: 3200 psi
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I report, therefore I am.

Sex: Undisclosed

Heads-Up: More Than 21 Million Affected by Second Federal Data Breach
OPM Announces More Than 21 Million Affected by Second Data Breach

The federal personnel agency announced Thursday a massive hack.

By Kaveh Waddell and Dustin Volz

July 9, 2015

More than 21 million Social Security numbers were compromised in a breach that affected a database of sensitive information on federal employees held by the Office of Personnel Management, the agency announced Thursday.

That number is in addition to the 4.2 million social security numbers that were compromised in another data breach at OPM that was made public in June.

Of the 21.5 million records that were stolen, 19.7 million belonged to individuals who had undergone background investigation, OPM said. The remaining 1.8 million records belonged to other individuals, mostly applicants' families.

The records that were compromised include detailed, sensitive information about the individuals, including fingerprint data. OPM says 1.1 million compromised files included fingerprints.

Beyond the fingerprints and Social Security numbers, some of the files in the compromised database included "residency and educational history; employment history; information about immediate family and other personal and business acquaintances; health, criminal and financial history; and other details," OPM said.

Some records included "findings from interviews conducted by background investigators," and some included the usernames and passwords that applicants used to fill out investigation forms.

This data breach, which officials have privately linked to China, began in May 2014, according to OPM Director Katherine Archuleta's testimony before Congress. It was not discovered until May 2015.

A security update applied by OPM and the Department of Homeland Security in January 2015 ended the bulk of the data extraction, according to congressional testimony from Andy Ozment, assistant secretary for cybersecurity and communications at DHS, even though the breach would not be discovered for months.

An OPM statement said that individuals who underwent background investigations in or after the year 2000 are "highly likely" to have had their information compromised in the breach. But those who were investigated before 2000 may also have been affected.

News of the second intrusion was first reported in June and was described as a potentially devastating heist of government data, as hackers seized extensive security-clearance information intelligence and military personnel. OPM said at the time that it became aware of the second hack while investigating the smaller breach that affected 4.2 million, which was disclosed earlier in June.

The size of the breach exceeds most of the estimates previously reported in various media outlets, including CNN, which said last month that the FBI believed 18 million people had been affected by the hack.

The personnel agency said Thursday that it has not seen any indication that the stolen information has been "misused" or otherwise disseminated.

On Wednesday, FBI Director James Comey refused to provide a specific number when asked by members of the Senate Intelligence Committee about the size of the breach. Comey did say the hack was "enormous," however, and confirmed that his own data had been compromised.

Several lawmakers in both parties have called for the resignations of Archuleta and Donna Seymour, the chief information officer at OPM, since the data breaches came to light last month. In a sharp statement Thursday after the numbers were revealed, House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz reiterated his belief that the two "need to resign or be removed" from their posts.

"Since at least 2007, OPM leadership has been on notice about the vulnerabilities to its network and cybersecurity policies and practices," the Utah Republican said. "Director Archuleta and Ms. Seymour consciously ignored the warnings and failed to correct these weaknesses. Their negligence has now put the personal and sensitive information of 21.5 million Americans into the hands of our adversaries. Such incompetence is inexcusable. Again, I call upon President Obama to remove Director Archuleta and Ms. Seymour immediately."

Fair Use from:
http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/hack...n-20150709

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
07-09-2015 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Heads-Up: More Than 21 Million Affected by Second Federal Data Breach
I wonder if they also got my polygraph tests?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-09-2015 05:47 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Did you, in fact, steal that tootsie roll when you were five? Wink

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-09-2015 06:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

[Image: Operation_Castle_-_Romeo_001.jpg]

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-09-2015 07:40 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

(07-09-2015 05:47 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I wonder if they also got my polygraph tests?

Yep! If the data was being stored by OPM.

Makes me wonder why I bothered to work for Uncle Sam for 43+ years, protecting our citizens, country and it's revenue sources, only to find out that they couldn't protect my "stuff"! Oh-jeez
07-10-2015 09:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

And now you see the logic behind paper records instead of digital...... Wink
07-11-2015 06:11 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Wonder if Al Gore is still bragging.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-11-2015 06:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

I am one of the lucky few (21 million). Two of my credit card providers have already sent new cards. The American Express card now has a security chip for merchants that can process with the chip, like Walmart. One of my co-workers has already had fraudulent credit card use in a state she hasn't ever visited. Fortunately, the credit card company flagged it for verification. The government has enlisted us in 18 months of active credit monitoring.

Hackers are everywhere. I just commissioned a new server. Before it was even configured and protected with firewalls and security measures, hackers tried to compromise root access six times. That was in a period of less than five minutes. They must have been automated bots.

Always be vigilant with your personal information.

Jeff

Sleep is worth the effort.
07-11-2015 10:38 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

(07-11-2015 10:38 AM)foss Wrote:  I am one of the lucky few (21 million). Two of my credit card providers have already sent new cards. The American Express card now has a security chip for merchants that can process with the chip, like Walmart. One of my co-workers has already had fraudulent credit card use in a state she hasn't ever visited. Fortunately, the credit card company flagged it for verification.

Always be vigilant with your personal information.

Jeff

Walmart started using the chip about a couple of months ago here but it's been buggy. Last time shopping the machine would not work with the card inserted. Had to swipe it.

I used to be lazy and use my debit card for everything. Until someone stole my number and emptied my checking account. I was without money for three days while the bank investigated. I got all my money back but that was a stressful time. I never use my debit now.

07-11-2015 12:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 433 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Once more unto the breach... retired_guy 18 2,509 10-14-2014 09:58 PM
Last Post: Evpraxia
  [News] One million buried in mass graves on forbidden New York island SuperSleeper 7 1,629 04-21-2014 02:41 PM
Last Post: Rhymer