Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Five Year Old CPAP Machine replacement
RE: Five Year Old CPAP Machine replacement
Thank Ghost! ....
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 10:58 PM)Mark Risley Wrote: Be a responsible user of the health care system. If your unit is providing good sleep and your condition is being treated effectively, you don't need to waste the dollars of your health care system to get a machine to tell you what you already know. don't waste money from a health provider. It is a privilege to have good coverage, not an entitlement.

Well it wasnt an entitlement until it got socialized in the past few years.

Which is neither here nor there. The health care system does not have any money except what it has taken out of the tax payers pockets.

They took my money before I ever saw it out of my paycheck for years. Wasnt their money then and it isnt their money now.

Get yourself a new machine. Trust there are others that never paid into anything or are even U.S citizens that it will be given to free of charge anyway if you dont get it. Of course you will have to pay likely 20 percent of it. Being a U.S citizen with insurance and allRolleyesBig Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 10:58 PM)Mark Risley Wrote: Be a responsible user of the health care system. If your unit is providing good sleep and your condition is being treated effectively, you don't need to waste the dollars of your health care system to get a machine to tell you what you already know. don't waste money from a health provider. It is a privilege to have good coverage, not an entitlement.

I agree with the concept to some extent.

However, anyone who has a ResMed S8, Respironics M series or earlier machine should get a fully data capable S9, A10, or PRS1 machine if possible. The quality of the treatment available is worth the cost.

If the user had a 5 year old data capable S9 or PRS1 machine, I'd agree with not replacing it unless it is broken, or if they develop a clearly better machine.

If insurance companies were smart, they'd give a free upgrade to everyone without a modern, fully data capable machine, and pay for periodic reading of the data by a competent medical professional. They'd save a lot more money in the long run vs. letting their clients use the less effective machines. The old machines are like treating high blood pressure without periodic blood pressure checks.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 05:55 PM)archangle Wrote:

I agree with the concept to some extent.

However, anyone who has a ResMed S8, Respironics M series or earlier machine should get a fully data capable S9, A10, or PRS1 machine if possible. The quality of the treatment available is worth the cost.

If the user had a 5 year old data capable S9 or PRS1 machine, I'd agree with not replacing it unless it is broken, or if they develop a clearly better machine.

If insurance companies were smart, they'd give a free upgrade to everyone without a modern, fully data capable machine, and pay for periodic reading of the data by a competent medical professional. They'd save a lot more money in the long run vs. letting their clients use the less effective machines. The old machines are like treating high blood pressure without periodic blood pressure checks.

Im am new user so would be eligible for a new one in 5 years, and agree with your statement. But am wondering if there is any degradation of the blower or electronics, or sensors that would give false or wrong readings. Is that a possibility with machines that might be say 7, 8 or more years old with over 11000 hours of use?

Could your treatment be harmed by this?

Are there parts available to repair these machines if something was to break other then the humidifier water tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about parts being available to repair older machines. I am thinking there are for those that are still out there like the S9 BUT how much is the cost to repair vs the cost for a new machine if it is 5 years or older? Resmed has a new machine out now with new technology I presume. In 4 years, if there is new technology out there, I would want that available to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 06:41 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: Im am new user so would be eligible for a new one in 5 years, and agree with your statement. But am wondering if there is any degradation of the blower or electronics, or sensors that would give false or wrong readings. Is that a possibility with machines that might be say 7, 8 or more years old with over 11000 hours of use?

The most common problem I hear with old machines is bearings in the motor going bad and getting noisy or keeping the machine from blowing right. I'd expect a data capable machine to still report the actual pressure.

I would expect the newer data capable machines would produce an error message, since they should see that the pressure being delivered isn't what the machine is trying to create.

The newer machines have a non-customer replaceable watch battery that keeps the real time clock alive. At some point those will probably start failing.

Shame on you manufacturers for not making this be easily replaceable!

Some of the earlier machines have had problems with the humidifier heating elements burning out, but I think this was a case of manufacturing/design defects that won't necessarily occur in newer models.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,632 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,198 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.