Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Sleep Aids
RE: CPAP and Sleep Aids
Good morning all
Laughter is the best medicine and best mood altering drugs ever know to man or woman
and guarantee to works every time or you get your money back Too-funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8xPhU5132I
Post Reply Post Reply
Restarted a medication last night. It's one I take for headaches. I'd run out and just waited until I saw the doc yesterday. We decided to continue with them.

One of the side effects (amitriptyline) is drowsiness. I'd noticed it some the first round but after a week, didn't get sleepy.

Last night's oximetry reading was interesting. Only 9 events ("drop in SpO2 by more than 4% and lasting at least 10 seconds) but dozens more where it dropped low but not for 10 seconds. And the lowest reading was 75%. Pulse also got much lower with the average being 67 and the lowest being 53. I woke very groggy, slept 12hrs. However, with the 9 counted events, the pulse rate jumped quite a bit each time, more noticeable than before.

I thought I was done with the data for a while but now I will keep up with it for another week. I want to see if the O2 stays this low or if it gets better the less drowsy the med makes me.

If I had to choose between my sleep apnea and getting rid of the headaches, sorry, headaches are much worse than anything else. This med doesn't take them away completely, just the 'every day because I exist' headaches. Which, really, is wonderful.

In two weeks, I am to start taking another medication to help with spasms (baclofen). I'm concerned about that one in regards to my SA.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2012, 05:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: One of the side effects (amitriptyline) is drowsiness. I'd noticed it some the first round but after a week, didn't get sleepy.

Yup, amitriptyline is like that. It's best to start on a small dose and then build up. I know what you mean about the continuous every-day headache. I used to have those, too.

Right now I'm managing quite well on the smallest dose possible, which is 25 mg. I used to take 50 mg every day.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. 25mg for now. He wants me to try going up to 50 after the baclofen settles.

I have "neck issues" but they won't do surgery. I should be happy for that, I guess. I still get the horrid migraines if I turn my head too many times or too long.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 01:59 PM)Fosco Wrote: I am very curious about the use of sleep aids in conjunction with CPAP. My apnea went undiagnosed for 10 years before my first CPAP. I was given ever-increasing amounts, combinations, and rotating doses of prescription medication in an effort to "cure" my problem. The list of drugs is lengthy. After getting a CPAP 4 years ago, my dosages decreased but I still need them because I am addicted, the CPAP is not set correctly, and I didn't know I needed followup professional care. (Yes, I was still prescribed massive quantities of benzodiazapines by a physician but he never asked about the CPAP!) I am now trying to wean myself off of the benzos after so many years and it is difficult. I am also trying to find good holistic professional care.

I would like to know about the use of sleep aids by other members:
Prescription meds and high or low dosages?
Non-prescription, OTC meds?
Importance of bed-time rituals, diets, caffeine intake, etc.?

I take ambien 10mg at night. Dont know if i could fall asleep with that mask on my face. I was also taking opiates. And thought thatbit was causing my debilitating fatigue. But i was over 3 months off of everything. When i realized it wasent the dam opiates that were giving me fatige. Because i felt just as exhausted. Then i found it was the sleep apnea.

...and most importantly (for me):
Is anyone able to completely stop taking prescription meds after getting their CPAP dialed in???

I am using trial/error to raise my CPAP pressure to the correct level and want to know if I am stuck taking sleep aids forever. Success stories would be helpful. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
I am pleased to report that I have been pestering my GP and will be getting a new sleep study soon! I am a bit disconcerted that I will be asked to sleep with no aids or CPAP. It has been quite a long time since I've done that and not sure I can! Not sure what can be learned from not sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think, and could be wrong, but I think as long as you can sleep for at least an hour, they can then guess from there. The sleep test isn't just for when you are sleeping. They look for how you go to sleep, how you wake up, etc.

Please keep us informed on how it goes.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 10:26 PM)Fosco Wrote: I am pleased to report that I have been pestering my GP and will be getting a new sleep study soon! I am a bit disconcerted that I will be asked to sleep with no aids or CPAP. It has been quite a long time since I've done that and not sure I can! Not sure what can be learned from not sleeping.

You'll be without CPAP, but I don't see why you'll be without sleep aids. I realize that they prefer no sleep aids, but sleep with sleep aids generates sleep study data. No sleep generates no data, but I'm sure you'll get at least some sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 156 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  sleep aids Bluesv6 13 1,015 03-11-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.