Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] IS RESMED SELLING DATA TO DR. OZ?
Money 
IS RESMED SELLING DATA TO DR. OZ?
As a technologist, I keep a sharp eye on CES (Consumer Electronics Show) and was concerned to see this announcement ...

Quote:The national sleep survey and America’s SleepScore program, launched in October 2016, was developed by ResMed (NYSE: RMD) and “The Dr. Oz Show” to foster better public understanding of sleep health. More than 20,000 individuals have enrolled in the continuing study, which so far has collected more than 1.53 million nights’ of consumer sleep data.

From the study, SleepScore Labs, a joint venture announced today between ResMed, Dr. Mehmet Oz and Pegasus Capital Advisors, LP, has determined a national SleepScore and begun analyzing the data from the most comprehensive and accurate collection of high quality consumer sleep data on the planet, the landmark national sleep study on SleepScore.com.

“This is the largest objective consumer sleep study ever evaluated, giving us the tools to make a real impact on sleep deprivation,” said Colin Lawlor, CEO of SleepScore Labs. “This historic survey shows how the SleepScore by ResMed™ technology and its capabilities can be used across the $58 billion dollar consumer sleep industry to evaluate the performance of sleep products and services and to improve them, so those products and services can be more helpful to someone’s health. The sheer numbers of people with sleep issues are staggering, but solving the problem has until now been a shot in the dark.”

During a panel discussion today at the CES Digital Health Summit, “Confronting the Sleep Epidemic Head-On,” Dr. Oz and ResMed will share more insights from the study.

First, I have concerns with ResMed having an association with the dodgy Dr. Oz who appears to have relationships with likewise dodgy supplement providers.

Quote: Dr. Mehmet Oz, host of "The Dr. Oz Show," faced grilling by senators on Capitol Hill about the promotion of weight loss products on his show.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety and Insurance, led the panel that on Tuesday looked at false advertising for weight loss products.

Subcommittee members took issue with assertions that Oz has made on his show about products that don't have a lot of scientific evidence to back them up, such as green coffee beans.

It appears that the data is coming from ResMed S+ consumer device which appears to me to have the same accuracy issues as most consumer electronic devices.

Quote:Study participants were self-selected and likely participated out of a desire to improve their sleep; that said there is also a sizeable number with good sleep. More than 20,000 participants used the S+, the most accurate and comprehensive consumer sleep technology which objectively measures movement, breathing, light, temperature and assesses sleep stage every 30 seconds during sleep. An additional 22,000 people completed quizzes that explored lifestyle habits providing additional survey data and insight into habits, practices, stress levels, alcohol, exercise and caffeine intake and various nonbiometric factors.

And second, I wonder if ResMed is planning to monetize the data from the voluntary myAir program in the future? Not only is the myAir data more accurate, but it is collected with an FDA-approved device.

ResMed customer service had no comment on the data usage and referred me to its privacy statement ...

Quote:We use aggregated anonymized data transmitted from your device (usage times, mask on and mask off, leak information and mask pressure), together with information about where you took your sleep test and when therapy started ,your baseline AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) and the number of apnea events per hour, your year of birth, your gender and your country of residence to enhance existing or develop new products and services, by conducting statistical analyses of the Service and by conducting surveys and market research.

With today's concerns about privacy, forewarned is forearmed.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: IS RESMED SELLING DATA TO DR. OZ?
If someone took my sleep data I simply wouldn't care. It is useless to anyone else except for data analysis.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2017, 06:09 PM)sonicboom Wrote: If someone took my sleep data I simply wouldn't care. It is useless to anyone else except for data analysis.

As long as it was anonymous and used for legitimate statistical purpose, I don't care either.

But, somewhere along the road, vendors see additional revenue streams from targeted advertising and the game changes.

Since privacy agreements are unilateral contracts based on Hobb's Choice (take it or leave it), I am always cautious and knowing is better than not knowing.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed MyAir Privacy conditions #12:

Quote: Opting out of communication

You may withdraw your consent to our use of your personal information for future marketing mailings or other non-essential purposes, at any time by changing your preferences from “Yes” to “No” in the “My account” section of the application.

Should you withdraw your consent to receive marketing information, we will use all reasonable endeavors to remove your personal information from our marketing mailing list within 5 business days of receipt of your withdrawal of consent.

You want out? Get out! I don't feel the need nor the threat. As far as Dr. Oz goes, the dude is a hack, and every spammer on the internet uses his name to promote scams. Best to avoid. I use a filter on my email that deletes any permutation of Dr Oz.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like the wizard, the Dr is a fake Big Grin But hey he can have some of my sleep data.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
"We use aggregated anonymized data transmitted from your device..."

Why are you concerned about data privacy then??

I am very happy for Redmed to use anonymized data to develop its products further.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2017, 05:08 PM)tedgreen Wrote: "We use aggregated anonymized data transmitted from your device..."

I am very happy for Redmed to use anonymized data to develop its products further.

I am the former (now retired) Chief Technologist/Chief Security Officer of Interactive Computer Corporation. What they may provide to others may be anonymized, but that is no guarantee that it is stored in an encrypted format with appropriate security conditions.

As medical data, I would think that, at least here in the United States, it would be treated under the auspices of HIPAA and, in California, under the auspices of Medical Information Confidentiality - California Civil Code sections 56-56.37, and not under generalized unilateral privacy agreements.

I do not know if you saw ResMed's press release that claims that they have reached their "one billion nights of myAir sleep data," but when I see these types of notices, they are usually part of a plan to monetize the data. The truism that if the service is free, the chances it is your data that is driving the enterprise is mostly true.

The reason I posted the item is to promote privacy awareness, not specifically because I am aggrieved about anonymized statistical data.

I am also unsure of the relationship between my DME (which has access to the data for compliance purposes), my physician, and ResMed because we never see those contracts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find myself reading this post and wondering to myself if I should be concerned, or if you're just an alarmist? If I should be concerned, why? If you're just an alarmist, what alarms you? You've made some inferences but no cogent connections as to why we should be concerned, or even why you are.

(01-09-2017, 05:24 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: As a technologist, I keep a sharp eye on CES (Consumer Electronics Show) and was concerned to see this announcement ...

What concerns you specifically? Why should I/we be concerned?

Quote:The national sleep survey and America’s SleepScore program, launched in October 2016, was developed by ResMed (NYSE: RMD) and “The Dr. Oz Show” to foster better public understanding of sleep health. More than 20,000 individuals have enrolled in the continuing study, which so far has collected more than 1.53 million nights’ of consumer sleep data.

From the study, SleepScore Labs, a joint venture announced today between ResMed, Dr. Mehmet Oz and Pegasus Capital Advisors, LP, has determined a national SleepScore and begun analyzing the data from the most comprehensive and accurate collection of high quality consumer sleep data on the planet, the landmark national sleep study on SleepScore.com.

“This is the largest objective consumer sleep study ever evaluated, giving us the tools to make a real impact on sleep deprivation,” said Colin Lawlor, CEO of SleepScore Labs. “This historic survey shows how the SleepScore by ResMed™ technology and its capabilities can be used across the $58 billion dollar consumer sleep industry to evaluate the performance of sleep products and services and to improve them, so those products and services can be more helpful to someone’s health. The sheer numbers of people with sleep issues are staggering, but solving the problem has until now been a shot in the dark.”

During a panel discussion today at the CES Digital Health Summit, “Confronting the Sleep Epidemic Head-On,” Dr. Oz and ResMed will share more insights from the study.

(01-09-2017, 05:24 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: First, I have concerns with ResMed having an association with the dodgy Dr. Oz who appears to have relationships with likewise dodgy supplement providers.

Why are you concerned that Resmed has an association with Dr Oz? Or with anyone for that matter? Why should I/we be concerned about a relationship Resmed has that they believe will further their business, technology or product awareness?

Quote: Dr. Mehmet Oz, host of "The Dr. Oz Show," faced grilling by senators on Capitol Hill about the promotion of weight loss products on his show.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety and Insurance, led the panel that on Tuesday looked at false advertising for weight loss products.

Subcommittee members took issue with assertions that Oz has made on his show about products that don't have a lot of scientific evidence to back them up, such as green coffee beans.

(01-09-2017, 05:24 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: It appears that the data is coming from ResMed S+ consumer device which appears to me to have the same accuracy issues as most consumer electronic devices.

So? What's the point you're trying to make?

Quote:Study participants were self-selected and likely participated out of a desire to improve their sleep; that said there is also a sizeable number with good sleep. More than 20,000 participants used the S+, the most accurate and comprehensive consumer sleep technology which objectively measures movement, breathing, light, temperature and assesses sleep stage every 30 seconds during sleep. An additional 22,000 people completed quizzes that explored lifestyle habits providing additional survey data and insight into habits, practices, stress levels, alcohol, exercise and caffeine intake and various nonbiometric factors.

(01-09-2017, 05:24 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: And second, I wonder if ResMed is planning to monetize the data from the voluntary myAir program in the future? Not only is the myAir data more accurate, but it is collected with an FDA-approved device.

What if they are? How and why does that affect me/us? Why should it be of concern if they do, or don't?

(01-09-2017, 05:24 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: ResMed customer service had no comment on the data usage and referred me to its privacy statement ...

What did you want them to say? What would have allayed your concerns?

Quote:We use aggregated anonymized data transmitted from your device (usage times, mask on and mask off, leak information and mask pressure), together with information about where you took your sleep test and when therapy started ,your baseline AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) and the number of apnea events per hour, your year of birth, your gender and your country of residence to enhance existing or develop new products and services, by conducting statistical analyses of the Service and by conducting surveys and market research.

(01-09-2017, 05:24 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: With today's concerns about privacy, forewarned is forearmed.

What are we being forewarned or forearmed for? I honestly don't see the issue, please elaborate.

(01-10-2017, 08:21 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 05:08 PM)tedgreen Wrote: "We use aggregated anonymized data transmitted from your device..."

I am the former (now retired) Chief Technologist/Chief Security Officer of Interactive Computer Corporation. What they may provide to others may be anonymized, but that is no guarantee that it is stored in an encrypted format with appropriate security conditions.

As medical data, I would think that, at least here in the United States, it would be treated under the auspices of HIPAA and, in California, under the auspices of Medical Information Confidentiality - California Civil Code sections 56-56.37, and not under generalized unilateral privacy agreements.

I do not know if you saw ResMed's press release that claims that they have reached their "one billion nights of myAir sleep data," but when I see these types of notices, they are usually part of a plan to monetize the data. The truism that if the service is free, the chances it is your data that is driving the enterprise is mostly true.

The reason I posted the item is to promote privacy awareness, not specifically because I am aggrieved about anonymized statistical data.

I am also unsure of the relationship between my DME (which has access to the data for compliance purposes), my physician, and ResMed because we never see those contracts.

I still don't see the cause for concern. Is it because you're afraid the free service won't be free any longer? Are you concerned they will do something nefarious with your sleep data? What is the concern exactly?

Btw, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'd really like to know if I should be concerned or if this is just a case of someone saying the sky is falling, or what?
Post Reply Post Reply
who gives a sh*t
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2017, 04:37 AM)lab rat Wrote: who gives a sh*t

9 out of 10 with diarrhea do.
9 out of 10 with constipation don't.
How's that for a qualified answer?
Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 232 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 461 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,423 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Resmed even ask for your permission before uploading your data ? S. Manz 18 2,040 12-23-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Chainsawgod
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,371 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 761 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 255 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.