Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI usually higher in first hours of sleep, then decrease later
AHI usually higher in first hours of sleep, then decrease later
I'll ask this generically here, but will provide detailed examples if a general answer is not feasible.
My average AHI is around 3. Looking at my OSCAR daily reports, the number of apneas/hypopneas is usually noticeably higher in the first 2 or 3 hours of sleep (AHI would probably be 4-8 or so , decreasing to almost none in the later 4-6 hours of sleep. Leaks don't differ in this way. Is there a common reason for this to happen? (If relevant: I do take 5mg melatonin half hour to an hour before going to bed, not good at avoiding TV/phone "blue light" sources before sleep, and do fall asleep pretty quickly.)
John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI usually higher in first hours of sleep, then decrease later
I think an Oscar chart would be very helpful. From your written description, you're using an Autoset with fixed pressure and unknown EPR settings. I think we can be a lot more effective if you give us the Oscar daily detail chart. Instructions for organizing and posting an attachment are in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2020, 09:40 AM)I\ll ask this generically here, but will provide detailed examples if a general answer is not feasible. Wrote: My average AHI is around 3. Looking at my OSCAR daily reports, the number of apneas/hypopneas is usually noticeably higher in the first 2 or 3 hours of sleep (AHI would probably be 4-8 or so , decreasing to almost none in the later 4-6 hours of sleep. Leaks don't differ in this way. Is there a common reason for this to happen? (If relevant: I do take 5mg melatonin half hour to an hour before going to bed, not good at avoiding TV/phone "blue light" sources before sleep, and do fall asleep pretty quickly.)
John

Sleeprider has recommended attaching OSCAR chart.
Last night's charts for the full night, the first half (before "bathroom break"), and second half:

Post Reply Post Reply
Now we can see that you are experiencing a great deal of upper airway restriction that is causing flow limitation, giving rise to a lot of hypopnea. With this information we can tell you will benefit from using EPR and a higher pressure, preferably in Autoset mode. My suggestion is to set your machine to Autoset mode. Use a minimum pressure to 7.0 and set maximum pressure at 10.0. Turn on the EPR full-time in the comfort settings and use a setting of 3. This will result in a starting pressure of 7.0/4.0 (inhale/exhale), and will increase if and as needed to 10.0/7.0.

The use of this bilevel pressure is effective in reducing both flow limitation and hypopnea. You did not have any obstructive apnea, so we know that an exhale pressure of 6.6 is probably adequate, and that is the basis of the maximum pressure. You're going to find this pressure change improves AHI and is much more comfortable as it will make your breathing easier. If you zoom into the flow rate on your chart, you will see a lot of flat-topped inspiration waves. This reflects the flow limitation (limited maximum flow rate) that results from an airway restriction most of the night. By having a higher inhale pressure than exhale pressure, the CPAP functions as a bilevel and gives you a push of air when you need it, helping you overcome that flow limitation and making it easier to breathe. The difference between inhale pressure (IPAP) and exhale pressure (EPAP) is call "Pressure Support" (PS) in bilevel therapy, and your Resmed Autoset is capable of providing up to 3-cm of pressure support as EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Thanks much, Sleeprider, for the very clear instructions and explanations for improving my AHI and making my breathing easier. I will make the changes you recommend and let you know in a week or so how I'm doing. 

I remain curious about the general question of the distribution of apneas/hypopneas during sleep. Do they tend to be distributed somewhat evenly through the night, or do they tend to be concentrated earlier (as mine have appeared to be) or later during sleep hours, or is no generalization possible (idiosyncratic, depending on the individual, or varying unpredictably even within the individual)?

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Well we see everything here, and it seems CPAP therapy is a very individual thing. What we need to consider is, what is a hypopnea? It is a decrease in respiratory volume of 30% to 50% from what was recorded in the previous 90 seconds or so. As you first go to bed and settle in to sleep, you respiration slows and volume begins to reflect the lower level of activity and exertion. We sometimes see hypopnea flagged from that, but I suspect you have some variable respiratory volume, resulting from alternating flow limitation and recovery breathing, and we would need to look at a closer zoom to better understand that. During the times you have hypopnea, your flow limitation is high and we can see in the flow rate graph lots of spikes on both the inhale and exhale side. Try zooming in to where the respiration wave is clearly visible, about 2-3 minute segments, and take a screen shot. I'm sure you will see your respiratory volume varies, and that is the cause of the hypopnea being flagged.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 470 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.