[News] In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Windows 7 Support
ApneaNews Offline
Apnea News Correspondent
Advisory Members

Machine: IBM Selectric II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: 3M N95 (it gets dusty in the newsroom)
Humidifier: Sears Kenmore (circa 1979)
CPAP Pressure: 3200 psi
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I report, therefore I am.

Sex: Undisclosed

In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Windows 7 Support
In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Windows 7 Support

by Julie Bort

Microsoft is warning customers that the end is soon coming for Windows 7 in much the same way it came for Windows XP earlier this year. Microsoft will end free mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015.

That means no more security patches if hackers find holes, no more updated features or performance improvements.

This covers all versions of Windows 7, Mary Jo Foley points out.

This move will mostly affect consumers. Businesses that pay for extended Windows 7 support, as most of them do, will be supported for another five years, until January 14, 2020.

That's important, because many businesses are right now are in the process of upgrading their old Windows XP PCs, but they're moving to Windows 7, not Windows 8.

There's some speculation that, given the popularity of Windows 7, Microsoft might change its mind as the date nears and continue to support it a bit longer, like it did for Windows XP. All told, Microsoft supported XP for about 13 years.

That kind of extension doesn't seem likely at this point. Remember, Windows 8 basically includes a full version of Windows 7, called Desktop mode. With Windows 8.1, it's possible to run a Windows 8 machine in Desktop mode and almost avoid the new-and-confusing Windows 8 part of the OS.

And Microsoft really needs to nudge consumers into buying Windows 8 machines. More Windows 8 machines means more developers will want to write software for Windows 8, which will make more people want to buy it.

By the way, Microsoft also set an end-of-life of mainstream support for Windows 8 (including the latest version, Windows 8.1), for January 9, 2018.

This is another hint that Microsoft should have its next version of Windows ready in 2015, code-named "Threshold" (sometimes referred to as Windows 9).

If Microsoft plays its cards right, Windows 9 will be to the unloved Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to Vista, which InfoWorld ranked No. 2 on its list of the 25 biggest tech flops (also PCWorld's "Biggest Tech Disappointment" of 2007.)

Here's the chart from Microsoft's Lifecycle Support page.

[Image: windows-end-of-support-chart.png]

Fair Use applies, from:
http://www.businessinsider.in/In-Six-Mon...028548.cms

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
07-08-2014 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Windows 7 Support
Dear Microsoft,

You suck.

Sincerely,
Former Windows Fan

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-08-2014 03:09 PM
JWR Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation DSX700 , PR 760 bipap auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage FX
Humidifier: DreamStation DSXH , system one
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 17.5max IPAP = 21
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(07-08-2014 03:09 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  Dear Microsoft,

You suck.

Sincerely,
Former Windows Fan

Can you say- Hello Linux here I come !

Agreed windows suck !Thumbs-down-1

07-08-2014 03:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

If you go out to Microsoft's website, you will find that as of the 2015 date, Windows 7 goes to extended support. While there won't be any additional features or bug fixes, however, YOU WILL STILL HAVE SECURITY UPDATES. (caps for emphasis and not yelling). Key thing to remember extended support is still support. So with that in mind, extended support goes until 2020. BTW, I just got a set of updates today for a Vista machine I support and its mainstream support ended in 2012. So, Win 7 will still be around for quite a while.

To get the most current table go to the evil empire's website and search for windows lifecycle.

Homer
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 01:21 PM by Homerec130.)
07-09-2014 01:10 PM
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Idea RE: In Six Months, Microsoft Will Pull The Plug On Windows 7 Support
Well, it's interesting that this information is being put out like this....when with so many businesses still running XP that Microsoft has put out a few updates since April (I know there have been updates for XP since....the machines at the office running XP have let me know).

I am surprised they would kill off Win 7 support this quickly, though....especially with the poor reviews of Wind 8 and 8.1. I would have expected them to have kept Win 7 support until Win 9 hits the market (likely a better version, given Microsoft's recent hit on one, miss on one recent track record).

Oh well....I'll just let me IT guy keep doing his thing. He's working for a unified system so that we can run pretty much what we want in the office with compatibly available for Win, Mac and Linux (of which I will be the first guy in the office running it...it would be on the go now, but the open office platforms aren't quite fully Office 2013 compatible yet).
07-09-2014 05:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Well, by using Linux (free), and primarily a LTS (Long Term Support) version of Ubuntu Linux, I continue to get support, updated kernels, security updates, bug fixes, etc, (free) until the end of the LTS support cycle, which is now 5 years, and golly gee, even then, when the 5 years is up, I can upgrade to the newest LTS version (free) and receive support for another 5 years (all free of charge), and then do that again and again (for free) into the foreseeable future. Did I mention I can do all that for free? Cool

So, I'm FREE from Micro$oft and I'm lovin' it. I think I boot up my WinXP partition about once every 6 months now. Just to update my Garmin GPS or maybe one other thing.

We hardly ever open up Windows in our house. You'd think the house would get musty, but it's most refreshing I think. Bigwink

Happy Eyes

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

07-09-2014 05:47 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

My guess is that the demise of XP had an effect on sales of Win 7 and 8, so now they're thinking the demise of Win 7 can be used to do the same for Win 8 and 9. Who knows, but whatever is going it's driven by sales, not by customer loyalty. And it's that attitude that will be the demise of Windows altogether.

We see more and more software packages that run on the Linux platform.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

07-09-2014 06:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

SS, I agree...I've got a netbook running linux (originally a Dell distro, but then upgraded to a lts Ubuntu netbook distro) and it has been awesome...faster boot than any of my windows machines (including far more powerful processor and more memory desktops) and far, far, far more stable (1 crash or update requiring a reboot in 18 months vs. Windows being almost every update and every other crash). If my logging program and Garmin software could be ported to Linux, I'd punt Windows myself.

Sleepster, I think Microsoft's policies and arrogance will be their undoing. Windows has become a resource and disk space hog....no, hippo...hogs are too small. MS has lost touch and, because they have so much market share, they extort software developers to have access to the code so they can make their programs compatible while charging an arm and a leg to the consumers to use their OS (as well as their office suite). Windows 8.1 was a prime example...users wanted a conventional start menu for PC use (vs the tiles for tablet / phone / touch screen use)...what they got was the start button that went to the tiles. What malarkey.

Apple at least found something stable (a *nix underpinning) and brought their interface to it....Windows is using an ancient NT kernel at its core, but with different skins / slightly different UI and more pork with each release. I think MS needs to take a page from Apple and Linux....streamline the OS and make it stable, then graft on your interface.
07-09-2014 06:23 PM
storywizard Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt S9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 taped to face
Humidifier: included with machine
CPAP Pressure: CPAP 11cm

Other Comments:

(07-09-2014 01:10 PM)Homerec130 Wrote:  If you go out to Microsoft's website, you will find that as of the 2015 date, Windows 7 goes to extended support. While there won't be any additional features or bug fixes, however, YOU WILL STILL HAVE SECURITY UPDATES. (caps for emphasis and not yelling). Key thing to remember extended support is still support. So with that in mind, extended support goes until 2020. BTW, I just got a set of updates today for a Vista machine I support and its mainstream support ended in 2012. So, Win 7 will still be around for quite a while.

To get the most current table go to the evil empire's website and search for windows lifecycle.

Homer

I thought "extended support " was for business users only??

Stephen
07-15-2014 06:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Extended support is for everyone. It simply means all that will be supported are security issues and any hot fixes that deal with security. This entire thing is a case of the media trying to get everyone in a dither. In essence, we still have support for quite a few more years.

Homer
07-16-2014 02:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 215 09-23-2016 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 765 08-25-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 433 07-24-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Transcend solar plug Proprietary? cdhaeussler 0 203 03-17-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: cdhaeussler
  It's Windows update Tuesday justMongo 8 1,094 02-10-2016 07:04 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Admins/Moderators - Please Consider Adding Tapatalk Support Dreams of Green 10 713 01-29-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sysinternals Suite update (Windows) AlanE 1 377 01-12-2016 07:38 PM
Last Post: DariaVader