Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Lack of sleep slows down your metabolism
Lack of sleep slows down your metabolism
Lack of sleep slows down your metabolism and pile on the pounds, experts warn

If you are feeling a little sleep deprived in the morning you might be tempted to reach for a cup of coffee and pastry for a quick burst of energy.
But according to scientists, lack of sleep is leading to an exploding obesity epidemic in Britain.
Just one night of bad sleep can result in weight gain because it makes people crave sugary and fatty foods.

Miguel Toribio-Mateas, chairman of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy, said: 'Sleep deprivation enhances neuronal activity in certain areas of the brain linked to our innate reward system.
'Lack of sleep also seems to have an effect on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity which determines how well out body is able to metabolise energy from foods containing carbohydrates.

'This is significant as impaired insulin sensitivity has been related to food cravings for more sugary foods.'
According to the research, the British are leading the way in terms of
snacking, followed by Italy, Germany and Spain with the French snacking the least.
The British consume 1.57 unhealthy snacks a day as opposed to the
French at 1.43.

The study was commissioned by nutrition company, Herbalife, which found that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

[Image: article-2163528-0B12D50E000005DC-971_468x286.jpg]
Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day and should contain a good source of quality protein like poached eggs and bacon
While you sleep the body's metabolism slows.

But when you eat the right food at breakfast, it kick-starts your metabolism, providing you with a steady stream of energy to keep you going through the day.
If you do not eat the right breakfast, your metabolism stays at a slower rate and doesn't get the kick-start it needs to give you energy, researchers say.

Unhealthy snacks are often high in sugar, high in fat and lack adequate protein.
They cause your blood sugar levels to spike and then dramatically drop, meaning your appetite won’t be satisfied for longer than about an hour.
Mr Toribio-Mateas said breakfasts should contain a source of protein like meat or eggs which will stop people feeling a mid-morning slump which leads to snacking.
He said: 'Breakfast for weary office workers should contain a source of
good quality protein.

'For those people who don’t have time to prepare a cooked breakfast,
protein shakes are a viable way to introduce good quality protein early in the day.

'Soy in particular has been found to speed up the body’s ability to burn
calories, balancing blood sugar as well as providing a healthy snack which
makes you feel fuller for longer.'

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lack of sleep slows down your metabolism
(07-01-2012, 11:40 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: [Image: article-2163528-0B12D50E000005DC-971_468x286.jpg]
Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day and should contain a good source of quality protein like poached eggs and bacon
Buttered toast and coffee too LicklipsCoffee

Post Reply Post Reply
Try a Scottish Breakfast

[Image: breakfast_menu.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2012, 04:46 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Try a Scottish Breakfast

[Image: breakfast_menu.jpg]
Very nice but hold the vegetarian sausage please - rabbit food
Its Monday past 8.30 morning had my breakfast with a cup of tea and now having a coffee with shot of Jim Beam. I won the bottle the other day raffle at the local pub. I had to choose between meat tray or the bottle of Jim Beam well chose the latter, pity it wasn't Scotch but its enjoyable just as well

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2012, 11:40 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day ...

I would like to correct some misinformation here.

About a third of the population have what is known as the dawn effect, although the degree varies. If you have the dawn effect your liver goes into gluconeogenesis starting about an hour or so before you wake up. The liver stores 300 - 500 calories worth of glycogen, a form of sugar. Gluconeogenesis is a process where the liver converts stored glycogen into glucose, the only form of sugar which your cells can burn.

Gluconeogenesis is a process which all humans livers can perform. One purpose of gluconeogenesis is to protect the brain, which can only run on glucose, in cases where your blood sugar goes dangerously low due to extreme conditions. Gluconeogenesis is also triggered by glucagon, a hormone produced by the pancreas, whose production is, in turn, triggered by epinephrine (endogenous adrenalin). If you are suddenly frightened the sequence produces a quick sugar rush to give you immediate energy.

People whose evolution gave them a dawn effect are usually the ones who say "I am never hungry for breakfast." Of course they're not hungry. Their liver just sent several hundred calories of sugar into their bloodstreams. People with a dawn effect who sit down and consume a huge breakfast when they are not hungy because "Mom always said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day" are people who are asking for obesity. If you're not hungry, don't eat. And that includes not being hungry when you get up in the morning.

Even though I'm generally up around 7 am, I'm never hungy before 10 or 11 due to my massive dawn effect. Being an insulin user makes it especially difficult to keep my weight normal. I refuse to gain weight just because some old adage tells me to eat even though I am not hungry.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2012, 09:37 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 11:40 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day ...

I would like to correct some misinformation here.

About a third of the population have what is known as the dawn effect, although the degree varies. If you have the dawn effect your liver goes into gluconeogenesis starting about an hour or so before you wake up. The liver stores 300 - 500 calories worth of glycogen, a form of sugar. Gluconeogenesis is a process where the liver converts stored glycogen into glucose, the only form of sugar which your cells can burn.

Gluconeogenesis is a process which all humans livers can perform. One purpose of gluconeogenesis is to protect the brain, which can only run on glucose, in cases where your blood sugar goes dangerously low due to extreme conditions. Gluconeogenesis is also triggered by glucagon, a hormone produced by the pancreas, whose production is, in turn, triggered by epinephrine (endogenous adrenalin). If you are suddenly frightened the sequence produces a quick sugar rush to give you immediate energy.

People whose evolution gave them a dawn effect are usually the ones who say "I am never hungry for breakfast." Of course they're not hungry. Their liver just sent several hundred calories of sugar into their bloodstreams. People with a dawn effect who sit down and consume a huge breakfast when they are not hungy because "Mom always said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day" are people who are asking for obesity. If you're not hungry, don't eat. And that includes not being hungry when you get up in the morning.

Even though I'm generally up around 7 am, I'm never hungy before 10 or 11 due to my massive dawn effect. Being an insulin user makes it especially difficult to keep my weight normal. I refuse to gain weight just because some old adage tells me to eat even though I am not hungry.

Most experts disagree with your opinion regarding that obese people should skip breakfast when they aren't hungry. Breakfast means "break fast", but many obese people haven't really fasted for very long when they awaken in the morning. They tend to eat most of their calories including their carbs during the evening when they are most tired and least active. Some even wake up and eat during the night. In the morning when they are rested, they just aren't hungry. They go through the a good part of the day, often being stingy with their intake, because their metabolism slows down. Their body, being accustomed to intake only in the evening, doesn't demand with hunger for food during the day, when they have a better chance of burning up those calories more quickly. In other words, their metabolism and activity slow down to conserve what was taken in hours before.

Excellent clinical studies have shown that if you feed obese individuals their needed calories in several portions throughout the day, instead of lumping all those calories to them in the evening, they stand a better chance of maintaining or losing weight. The best cure for obese individuals is to get more hours of restful sleep at night, including sleep therapy for OSA which they may have. Spread out calories throughout the day, including a breakfast, to avoid metabolism and activity slow down. This approach has the best chance for avoiding the evening munchies and weight gain.

BTW, in only 2 months, since beginning my sleep therapy, I have managed to lose close to 20 lbs, without feeling hungry. Initially, I had to force myself to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before, I usually skipped both breakfast and ate a scant lunch, and ate all of the wrong things all evening long. Now because of feeling more rested and eating at the right times, I am more active at the right time of day, and less hungry at the wrong time of the day in the evening. My resistance to those sweets was nil before therapy. Now, as long as I don't get started with them, I can pass on them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Brain fog, lack of energy -- why did dropping my EPR make such a difference? Albigensian 60 8,438 03-06-2022, 10:15 PM
Last Post: lightwolf1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.