Thread Closed 
[News] MEDICAL DEVICE COMPANIES SUFFER DEADLY OBAMACARE TAX
ApneaNews Offline
Apnea News Correspondent
Advisory Members

Machine: IBM Selectric II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: 3M N95 (it gets dusty in the newsroom)
Humidifier: Sears Kenmore (circa 1979)
CPAP Pressure: 3200 psi
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: I report, therefore I am.

Sex: Undisclosed

MEDICAL DEVICE COMPANIES SUFFER DEADLY OBAMACARE TAX
MEDICAL DEVICE COMPANIES SUFFER DEADLY OBAMACARE TAX

By Attorney Jonathan Emord

Among the provisions in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) that promises to wipe out an entire industry is a 2.3% excise tax on medical device companies. That tax, now in effect, is imposed on gross receipts, not net profits. The tax is now devastating a market characterized by small and mid-sized firms who can ill afford the tax. Medical device companies invest a considerable amount of their profits in research and development, either to invent new technologies to improve patient care or to amend existing technologies in ways that improve patient comfort or medical outcomes. We are about to witness a mass exodus of medical device companies off shore or out of business. We are also about to witness the demise of several medical device companies and, with them, vital technologies used by physicians to help patients. The beneficiaries of the tax reside off American shores. Foreign medical device companies will now experience a market boom as they exploit the market losses that American firms accumulate as a result of this onerous excise tax.

Most medical device companies employ 50 or fewer employees. Most gross less than $5 million per year. For a $5 million medical device company, annual profits of $200,000 are not uncommon. Consider how the 2.3% excise tax works. If a medical device company grosses $5 million but nets $200,000 in profits, the 2.3% excise tax adds to the company’s burden a whopping $115,000 in taxes atop federal, state, and local taxes. That $115,000 Obamacare tax is equal to 58% of profits.

Year after year this excise tax is going to hammer medical device companies into oblivion. Once one of the jewels in the American free market, medical device makers are about to bolt America in the same way that wealthy individuals and businesses are now leaving in droves from California.

Think about just how many different medical devices are used in patient care. Literally thousands of devices are a part of modern medical practice, from tongue depressors to head mounted lamps and cameras used in surgery to MRIs, CAT scans, and PET scans. The entire device industry is now laboring under one of the most draconian tax burdens in history. Major medical device companies are forced to avoid new hires, acquisitions, or necessary research and development. All other medical device companies are forced to terminate employees, cut research and development, hunker down, go out of business, or flee the United States.

Within a few years, physicians and patients will come to realize the horrific effects of this tax. Physicians will be alarmed to learn that certain devices are no longer available. Patients will become alarmed when a procedure that could be less intrusive, more effective, and less painful is not available and that an alternative procedure must be used carrying with it greater injury and less efficacy. This single aspect of Obamacare promises to undo one of the great miracles of the free market. Within the last decade medical device innovations have extended the human lifespan, reduced the debilitating effects of disease, and decreased human suffering. As they disappear, the opposite effects will recur.

Fair use from:
http://www.newswithviews.com/Emord/jonathan285.htm

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
02-04-2013 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: MEDICAL DEVICE COMPANIES SUFFER DEADLY OBAMACARE TAX
Stuff and nonsense! Where on earth are you getting this?
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 01:41 PM by DocWils.)
02-04-2013 12:37 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

That's a funny article. I needed the laugh.

The number of myths floating around is getting ridiculous.

Here's a better article.
http://neutralsource.org/archives/2748

The medical device industry had a chance to agree to paying x amount over 10 years to help fund this effort. They refused. So now they get the tax.

What it comes down to is the tax is only for items that normal people cannot get. Like pacemakers and artificial knees. You can't get a prescription for one and take it to the DME. But you can for wheelchairs, CPAP machines, oxygen, etc.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/again-with-the-wheelchair/
http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/nrcc-obamacare-taxes-sick-puppies/
http://www.factcheck.org/2011/01/a-job-killing-law/

So I'm not worried.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-04-2013 01:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

I am not buying this article for one minute.
#1. Medical R&D is heavily subsidized by tax dollars for one thing. So much so that there would most likely not be any if it wern't for that fact.
Businesses don't do RISK unless they can fob th costs off on Uncle Sam. (corporate welfare)
#2. A 2.3% tax will simply get added to the cost of the produced product anyway. No one gets fired. No one gets laid off.
#3. There is no FREE market system within the medical care industry. The health insurance corporations control it all.

I do not favor anything in the PPACA. I am just pointing out the distortions being used.
(It's not affordable to me since I make too much money to be government subsidized but don't make enough to be on corporate welfare.
I also can't afford to pay the premiums OR the fines for non-compliance. So someone tell me again, why this is called the "Affordable Care Act"? )
02-04-2013 02:51 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Sorry, don't know enough about the small print in your new health act - seems though that a lot of special interests got their oar in in order to be passed. I do know that the original bill was considerably more svelt, before congress got its hands on it (and the Senate as well, so I am told).

Also, just a point - anything that is signed by Attorney so-and-so is not signed by an attorney. It is not a prefix, not even in the US. The correct form, even in the US, is so-and so, attorney at law (or sometimes an academic title after the name or bar association title). Kindof a give-away there. I of course refer to the original posting...
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 08:13 PM by DocWils.)
02-04-2013 08:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

You are correct, wilorg. It is a clear cut case of the Fox drafting the rules for operating the hen house...

Tongue
02-05-2013 03:54 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] Hospital Medical Devices Used as Weapons in Cyberattacks AlanE 0 328 06-09-2015 01:54 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  How to protect yourself from deadly bacteria in hospitals doctor and dentist office me50 3 765 02-27-2015 11:25 PM
Last Post: archangle
  Medical Tag Eurika 7 1,375 11-10-2014 07:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Angry I noted the medical device tax was applied to my last DME supplies justMongo 0 655 05-12-2014 08:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  ACA aka Obamacare: Share your story! cowboy1970 15 2,872 03-16-2014 04:04 PM
Last Post: zonk
Question Medical Alert Bracelet with Link to Medical History/Info MAPnea 12 2,958 02-26-2014 09:53 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor
  [News] Medical Bills - You CAN fight them ApneaNews 0 1,025 07-21-2013 05:22 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews