Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] MEDICARE ON THE PHILLIPS RECALL
MEDICARE ON THE PHILLIPS RECALL
Just received an email from Medicare on the Phillips recall...
Worth repeating.

Quote:[Image: banner-2021-original_original.png]
Recall alert for certain Philips medical devices

Philips recently issued a product recall for specific ventilators and sleep apnea devices.
If you own or rent one of the Philips products that was recalled, talk to your doctor as soon as possible about whether to continue using your recalled equipment.
More Info
If you would like to replace or repair your equipment, the supplier you bought the equipment from is responsible for replacing or repairing rental equipment at no cost to you when the equipment is less than 5 years old. If the equipment is more than 5 years old,
Medicare will help pay for a replacement.
Important: Register your recalled equipment with Philips so they know you need a replacement, and can provide information on the next steps for a permanent corrective solution.
To register your equipment:
Sincerely,
The Medicare Team
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MEDICARE ON THE PHILLIPS RECALL
Yep I've got one in my stack of email too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The good thing with this is 8 suspect a lot of people just became aware that the Philips machine is recalled.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted the same message this morning: https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...m-Medicare
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2021, 12:43 AM)SideSleeper Wrote: I posted the same message this morning:  https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...m-Medicare

Sorry... I didn't see it! Blind and stupid, what a combination. -- steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept without mine last night and feel like crap. I had called the number and registered. I was told that it was caused primarily by ozone type cleaners. I did not use any. I'm thinking that possibly someone can tell us how to check if our machines were affected. I'm going to open mine up and look inside. I can't go 3->4 months without it waiting for a response.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - Just found the DeFoaming youtube for my system one. Looks fairly simple for someone who has tinkered with stuff in their life - I'm 73. It also now makes me think this is just a money grab by lawyers. It doesn't appear that the foam would be sucked in on at least the system one. I suspect Philips has decided it would be cheaper for them to just replace the units rather than make a deal with the slippery lawyers. just In case you don't know, in class action suits, the lawyers get almost all of the money.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2021, 09:51 AM)Duff Wrote: OK - Just found the DeFoaming youtube for my system one. Looks fairly simple for someone who has tinkered with stuff in their life - I'm 73. It also now makes me think this is just a money grab by lawyers. It doesn't appear that the foam would be sucked in on at least the system one. I suspect Philips has decided it would be cheaper for them to just replace the units rather than make a deal with the slippery lawyers. just In case you don't know, in class action suits, the lawyers get almost all of the money.

You would be completely wrong with that opinion. The material in question is a known carcinogen.  Just the outgassing alone is toxic, but worse, the foam is known to break down to tiny pieces and get brought into the air steam and delivered through the mask to the patients lungs.

Are you really sure you want to trust your very incorrect gut instinct on this situation? This situation is no joke.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor sent my DME provider the medicare letter with an order for Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset - my DME says "no can do" as there are no CPAPs of any kind any where to order. DME actied like this was the first time they heard of this letter. 

Roy B.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is total BS.  I can find stock of AS10's all over the place, and to a lesser degree AS11's.  You need a new DME.

Look for our supplier list, and check their websites. Then if you choose to stay with these Bozo's, provide them the sources.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,370 6 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 273 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,854 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 181 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 222 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 259 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.