Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] New mask technology on horizon - being tested by forum members
RE: New mask technology on horizon - being tested by forum members
Some additional info:

Amongst the design changes being considered are new methods of attaching the straps so the user can get in and out of them quickly and with considerable ease, better seals for the mask, and three new venting systems. Some of these will see the light of day and some will fall by the wayside, but they are quietly trying to find what works best.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 05:24 PM)jonde Wrote: I'm rather surprised no one has developed a headstrap and/or mask design that includes attachment points for a chinstrap. It would be so easy to do I think. Right now I just safety pin a homemade chinstrao to the headstrap.

Maybe the new stuff will be out when I'm eligible for a replacement.

I think you're talking about the Respironics OptiLife. Been on the market for at least 10 years.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrmog6bFLf3UKJ7QM3X7q...U5xS1gMcAW]
Post Reply Post Reply
For PAP Mask Users, Customization Is on the Horizon
Published on August 12, 2014 - Sleep Review

[Image: metamason_opt-466x373-1407822833.png?5036bc]
Metamason uses 3D printing technology to make Respere Freedom, customized PAP masks for a more comfortable, effective, and patient-friendly experience.

Imagine a patient who undergoes a home sleep test, and part of that test involves using a small scanner to capture the dimensions of his or her face. That data is then used to create a PAP mask specifically tailored to that particular person.

This is how one company is working to change the future of PAP mask therapy.

Metamason, based in Pasadena, Calif, uses 3-D printing to create PAP masks based on patient data with a unique molding system.

While Respere Secure masks aren’t yet available to the public and are still awaiting approval from the Food and Drug Administration, the company hopes customers will be able to sleep more comfortably in the new designs.

“A part of it is trying to minimize the size and bulk based on what somebody really needs,” says Leslie Karpas, founder and CEO of Metamason, who hopes the products will be available to the public in 9 months to a year.

With customized masks, he says, the straps are minimized and can be moved depending on what suits each patient, and the masks are anchored by using nasal fittings, a small part of the mask that actually goes slightly into the nose to hold it in place comfortably to increase compliance.

“Our mask is no longer trying to blow itself off the user’s face, which we see as really key,” he says. Because of those nasal fittings, the mask’s strap tension is lower, leading to less strap marks and discomfort, he says.

The method of making each mask is new, too: Metamason uses a method Karpas calls investment molding, combining the processes of molding and investment casting. The mask itself isn’t created from a 3-D printer, but rather the printers create the mold for the mask. That mold is then filled with silicone and put into an oven to set. Once the silicone sets, the heat cranks up to melt away the waxy mold, leaving only the silicone mask.

“It enables us to really break all of the rules of mold geometry,” Karpas says of the patented process. “Traditionally, you have to think about how the part comes out of the mold, and we don’t have to worry about that.”

Patients will be able to use an online interface to change elements of their masks, and then doctors can examine those choices on the other end.

“That will allow them to see more patients in the space of a day and ensure a product that is more successful too,” Karpas says.

The communication between patient and doctor about the mask is just one way Metamason hopes to increase patient compliance. As part of the FDA approval process for Respere, the company will undertake multiple hospital studies and trials to make necessary changes to the design that will lead to better patient use. The company hopes to reach a wide net of patients by marketing the masks both through home sleep diagnostic testing companies as well as within sleep clinics at the time of study.

So far, Metamason is mid-way through raising its seed round, “mostly from investors who have sleep apnea as well as The Design Accelerator, a partnership of Art Center and Caltech in Pasadena,” Karpas says. To gain momentum, he said his ideal investor would be a healthcare or printing focused venture capital firm and partnerships with major players in the CPAP and 3D printing space.

As for the cost of the mask, it’s too soon to have a definite number, but Karpas estimates it to be somewhere between $400 and $600 per mask, with that number decreasing steadily as 3D printing become more popular and its prices decrease, too.
Post Reply Post Reply

I think you're talking about the Respironics OptiLife. Been on the market for at least 10 years.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrmog6bFLf3UKJ7QM3X7q...U5xS1gMcAW]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Right idea, should be available on other types of masks also. The tech tried fitting a pillow to me, didn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 04:45 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Some "'little birdies" from our forum are telling me that certain developers are working on new nasal masks ... straight out of a 3D printer.
Will the sleep authorities require the printer software to scan my prescription before it accepts the print job?

Post Reply Post Reply
My dentist tells me that 3D printers can now create crowns in the dentist's office; no waiting for the lab and at a fraction of the cost. He doesn't have one yet, as the cost is still astronomical. But it's clear to me that 3D printing is going to revolutionize a lot of industrial production.

What I really want is to be able to walk over to a device on the wall and say "tea, Early Grey, hot," the device goes sparkly for a moment, and there is a cup of Earl Grey tea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope they will include the possibility of having two different sized nasal prongs on the same mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
3D Printing of Masks http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-of-Masks
Post Reply Post Reply
I think with these prototypes, it's the prototypes that are being made using 3-D printers (for testing purposes). The plan is probably not to use 3-D printing for masks on a retail level - that part is just for product development and testing.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 01:17 AM)JJJ Wrote: What I really want is to be able to walk over to a device on the wall and say "tea, Early Grey, hot," the device goes sparkly for a moment, and there is a cup of Earl Grey tea.

[Image: keurig-intro.png]

Just try to get one of the non-DRM ones. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR Technology - Install & Data Aquisition Details EasySleep 3 114 03-18-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 285 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Admin Note] Members-Only FILES SuperSleeper 13 399 02-16-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Admin Note] Rules addition - minimum age of members SuperSleeper 8 1,892 09-16-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.