Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] New mask technology on horizon - being tested by forum members
RE: New mask technology on horizon - being tested by forum members
(11-16-2015, 10:35 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I think with these prototypes, it's the prototypes that are being made using 3-D printers (for testing purposes). The plan is probably not to use 3-D printing for masks on a retail level - that part is just for product development and testing.

I hope not. Using a catalog of stock fixtures and printing a gasket to fill the gap should not be an issue. The pdf I cited shows how easy it can be. You go lie in a booth and be scanned. Gasket(s) are printed to fit you of UV curing material while you go have a cup of coffee. If all is well you order additional gaskets on-line and all is good. No problem to fine tune the gasket is required due to any number of factors.

The biggest problem I see it the Lindows effect as the CPAP mask printing booth is going to obsolete an entire industry.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
From someone involved with the testing, it sounds like at this point a 3D printed mask would be too expensive and time consuming to be of any use at all to a mass manufacturer.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not the whole mask. Just the gasket. Use readily available FDA approved UV curing material. Were I not up to my donkey in alligators I would have already done this.

http://www.researchposters.com/Posters/C...5/H118.pdf

Introduction
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is highly prevalent among
children with craniofacial anomalies and syndromes involving
the mid-face and mandible 1-7 . Traditional surgical
interventions to treat OSA are often unsuccessful in these
children, who then often require continuous positive airway
pressure (CPAP) 8-10 . However, mask fit issues and high leaks
are common in children with dysmorphic features and can
create significant barriers to effective CPAP therapy 11-13 .
Creation of a customized mask using 3D printing technology
could potentially alleviate this obstacle.
Methods
A three-dimensional (3D) model of the patient’s face is
generated using 3D photography (3dMDface, 3dMD) (Fig.
1b) 14 . The facial model is then used to map a custom
mask:face interface along the desired facial contours. This
interface is then extruded into a CPAP mask insert, and
converted to a digital mold using patient-specific computer-
aided design (CAD) (Mimics Innovation Suite, Materialise,
Leuvian, Belgium) (Fig. 1c-d). The mold is then manufactured
on a 3D printer (Objet Connex, Stratasys Inc.) and silicone is
cured into the mold creating a unique mask insert (Fig. 1e-f).
Validated OSA questionnaires (the OSA-18 15 and PSQ sleep
disordered breathing subscale 16 ) were collected from the
parents at enrollment and after 1 month of use of the custom
mask. CPAP machine downloads were collected at
enrollment, after 1 month of use
Discussion
Abstract
Personalized CPAP masks can be successfully
created utilizing 3D photography, patient-
specific CAD, and 3D printing for children with
craniofacial syndromes and OSA suffering from
ineffective CPAP therapy. These custom masks
have demonstrated the ability to reduce
interface leak, increase compliance, and reduce
residual AHI on an initial patient with Treacher
Collins Syndrome. There were corresponding
improvements in validated pediatric OSA
metrics.
The high prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) in children with craniofacial anomalies
has been well-described. Failure of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy may
require potentially morbid surgery. Yet, achieving a functional mask-face interface using
conventional masks is difficult due to leak and discomfort resulting from atypical facies. The
objective was to develop a personalized CPAP mask using patient-specific computer-aided
design (CAD) and three-dimensional (3D) printing for children with OSA and craniofacial
anomalies which prevent effective CPAP therapy. University of Michigan Institutional Review
Board approval was granted prior to initiating the study. A 3D model of a personalized CPAP
mask based on the patient’s anatomy was designed using 3D photography (3dMD, Atlanta,
GA) and CAD software (Materialise, Leuven, Belgium). The model is converted into a mold
which is 3D printed (Stratasys, Rehovot, Israel) then filled with medical grade silicone to
create the final mask. Validated OSA questionnaires (the OSA-18 and PSQ sleep disordered
breathing subscale) and CPAP machine downloads were collected from the subject's family
at enrollment, after 1 month of consistent use of the mask, and at termination of use. Three
patients have been enrolled to date. Results obtained to date are promising. Median leak
improved by 74%, nightly compliance improved by 5.5%, and residual apnea-hypopnea index
improved by 24%. Personalized CPAP masks can be successfully created utilizing 3D
photography, patient-specific CAD, and 3D printing for children with craniofacial syndromes
and OSA suffering from ineffective CPAP therapy. Results indicate this design and
manufacturing process may improve CPAP therapy effectiveness in this patient population.
This technology could potentially increase
CPAP adherence among patients with
craniofacial anomalies who have issues with the
mask interface. Further trial recruitment is
necessary to ascertain whether the benefit is
seen with other facial dysmorphisms. Ultimately,
this process may potentially be utilized for the
many CPAP users who experience poor mask fit
when using commercially available interfaces.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 05:24 PM)jonde Wrote: I'm rather surprised no one has developed a headstrap and/or mask design that includes attachment points for a chinstrap. It would be so easy to do I think. Right now I just safety pin a homemade chinstrao to the headstrap.

Maybe the new stuff will be out when I'm eligible for a replacement.

My thoughts also
Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2015, 08:57 PM)Tacoma Droner Wrote: I think you're talking about the Respironics OptiLife. Been on the market for at least 10 years.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrmog6bFLf3UKJ7QM3X7q...U5xS1gMcAW]

I've used the Optilife mask for about 10 years and now they have quit making it! So once my stockpile of pillows and headgear wear out, I'll have to find something else that I can live/sleep with. Any body got a suggestion?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR Technology - Install & Data Aquisition Details EasySleep 3 114 03-18-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 283 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Admin Note] Members-Only FILES SuperSleeper 13 399 02-16-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Admin Note] Rules addition - minimum age of members SuperSleeper 8 1,892 09-16-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.