Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Obstructive Sleep Apnea's Damage Evident After 1 Month
Obstructive Sleep Apnea's Damage Evident After 1 Month
Obstructive Sleep Apnea's Damage Evident After 1 Month

In an effort to shed light on the relationship between sleep apnea and brain vessels, researchers used a novel model that mimics OSA in humans and found that after just 30 days of OSA exposure, cerebral vessel function is altered, which could lead to stroke.

The model and its findings are the result of efforts undertaken by Randy F. Crossland, David J. Durgan, Eric E. Lloyd, Sharon C. Phillips, Sean P. Marrelli, and Robert M. Bryan, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Tex.

An abstract of their study, entitled "Cerebrovascular Consequences of Obstructive Sleep Apnea," was discussed at the meeting Experimental Biology 2012.

The most common animal model used to study OSA today is intermittent hypoxia (IH), which relies solely on exposing animals to a decrease in blood oxygen levels. The new model incorporates all physiological consequences involved in OSA by inducing true apnea (closure of the airway). The revised model creates a more complete picture of the apnea process and one that more accurately mimics how OSA unfolds in humans.

Using their model, the researchers induced 30 apneas (10 seconds duration) per hour in animals for 8 hours during the sleep cycle for up to 1 month. After 1 month of apnea, cerebral vessel dilatory function was reduced by up to 22%. This finding correlates with studies that show similar cell dysfunction in arteries and an increased risk of stroke in OSA patients. Damage to the vascular wall in brain arteries could be a factor predisposing an individual with OSA to stroke.

"There are two important findings in these results," according to researcher Randy Crossland. "The first is the model itself. The new model allows us to study the complete disease and better understand how repetitive exposure to apnea affects the body. The second is that only 1 month of moderate OSA produces altered cerebrovascular function, which could result in a stroke. A finding that highlights the detrimental impact OSA can have on the body."

fair use from:
http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/sleep_repo...-02_01.asp

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Obstructive Sleep Apnea's Damage Evident After 1 Month
The next research project needs to be, once the OSA becomes well controlled with therapy, is the damage reversible?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 09:53 AM)JJJ Wrote: The next research project needs to be, once the OSA becomes well controlled with therapy, is the damage reversible?

That would be nice if it reversable - I have been told for the last 25 years that I stop breathing in my sleep. Finally had a sleep study done in April and was told I stop an estimated 29 times / hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 08:17 AM)ApneaNews Wrote: After 1 month of apnea, cerebral vessel dilatory function was reduced by up to 22%.

I wonder what impact that has on cognitive function?!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 10:18 AM)johns019 Wrote: That would be nice if it reversable - I have been told for the last 25 years that I stop breathing in my sleep. Finally had a sleep study done in April and was told I stop an estimated 29 times / hour.

With that total, if it includes hypopneas, it puts you in the 'moderate' range. I do wish they'd change that determination.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=AHI

(06-03-2012, 12:05 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 08:17 AM)ApneaNews Wrote: After 1 month of apnea, cerebral vessel dilatory function was reduced by up to 22%.

I wonder what impact that has on cognitive function?!

I am surprised that was not part of the study. Sometimes it seems they do these things with just one thing in mind and do not go further with it. Instead, they start another expensive study. I kinda understand the reasoning but still....
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 12:31 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(06-03-2012, 12:05 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I wonder what impact that has on cognitive function?!

I am surprised that was not part of the study. Sometimes it seems they do these things with just one thing in mind and do not go further with it. Instead, they start another expensive study. I kinda understand the reasoning but still...

According to my good friend, Google Scholar, the effects of impaired vascular dilation on cognition has been well documented through numerous previous studies. I just read some of the abstracts and, yes, impaired vascular dilation causes cognitive loss.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.