Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] PHILIPS FDA Update 11-12-2021 Silicone Foam Defective in DS2
PHILIPS FDA Update 11-12-2021 Silicone Foam Defective in DS2
Update: Certain Philips Respironics Ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP Machines Recalled Due to Potential Health Risks: FDA Safety Communication

In response to the recall, the FDA recently conducted an inspection of a Philips Respironics’ manufacturing facility to determine what may have caused or contributed to the foam issues and to assess adherence to the agency’s quality system regulations. The FDA inspections are designed to include the review and evaluation of records, staff training, facility operations, medical device production and testing, and the systems in place to ensure product quality. During the inspection, the FDA investigator made several observations that are outlined in an inspection closeout report, also known as a FDA Form 483 This is the FDA inspection report. Read it!

The FDA has requested that Philips Respironics retain an independent laboratory to perform additional testing to determine what, if any, potential safety risks may be posed to patients by the silicone-based foam.  Article and notice here: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safe...ial-health

So you got your Dreamstation 2 replacement from the recall and thought this was over?  Think again! The new Silicone Foam used in the replacement machines has failed VOC testing including carcinogenic and mutagenic compounds of concern.  Philips rushed this replacement to production with knowledge the foam in the System One, Dreamstation and Trilogy ventilators was breaking down with potentially dangerous side-effects. Now the problem continues.  This well done video by an Australian blogger documents the Philips problem, and argues the new FDA document shows continuing problems with Philips respiratory products.  You may want to move as quickly as possible to stop using any Philips product and use the FDA inspection as a basis to argue for a competing product.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FDA Update 11-12-2021 Philips Silicone Foam Defective in DS2
Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse.....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While Resmed states their silicone foam is safe, has the FDA ever performed an inspection or test to validate Resmed's claim? If the FDA has found the Philips silicone foam questionable, I think I'd be concerned about Resmed's as well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Nicko at CPAP Reviews did a YouTube video yesterday about the FDA Safety Communication. Not looking good for Philips…and…even worse for users. ?

If you are offended by off-color language…well…Nicko is PO’d and expresses his views in some colorful language.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw in another thread about a poll reguarding people that have been contacted by Philips, received new machines, dates,  etc.  Maybe their should be a poll entry for people like me who have not heard anything from Philips about my CPAP machine from 5 years ago and my BiPAP machine I purchase in March 2021.  How long is the usual wait?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PHILIPS FDA Update 11-12-2021 Silicone Foam Defective in DS2
My fear is that all of this is going to convince manufacturers to get out of the CPAP-making business altogether.

They may decide it's simply not worth the legal/financial risk of going through such a wide and all-encompassing recall effort... TWO times.

If this silicone based material in DS2 machines is also found to be hazardous, then it might be worth it for Philips to get out of the CPAP machine business completely, and issue cash to recalled CPAP users so they can buy a CPAP replacement from someone other than Philips.

We might very well be seeing the death of the CPAP manufacturing industry.  Especially if it's found that ResMed's devices have the same issues.  I could see Philips' Respironics division going bankrupt over this.

Of course, that conclusion is premature unless independent testing shows a definite silicone foam hazard in the DS2 units and perhaps in ResMed units as well.

What a mess, indeed.   Oh-jeez
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
A direct result of manufacturers trying their hardest to make device 'unrepairable', difficult to get into etc.

The 'internal sound baffle' could be a simple swap out - but no.......
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW......

The FDA was aware of Philips intention to market the DS2 as early as July 2020 and from this attached document they should have completed the assessment of safety to approve its release.
The stringent ISO testing is usually, but not always performed by an independent lab. It would be interesting to know if Philips has a facilities capable of the required testing or if they contracted it out. Whoever did the ISO testing would certainly have comprehensive documentation to back up the findings for reports.

The more I learn of government and its agencies, the less confidence I have in their competence.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs...200480.pdf

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It is many years since I had any interaction with the FDA, but I will just say that they did nothing to convince me they were solely focused on consumers' health. Rather, it seemed their job was to protect and support large American corporations against smaller competitors and overseas suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with starting a new thread regarding the potential DS2 silicone foam issue.  That's really a separate issue from the original DS1 recall.

Also agree that Philips has deservedly damaged themselves in all this, considering they've also tried to shut out end-users from accessing data on their own DS2 machines via encryption.  The blame for the original recall, the potential problems with DS2s and the data-encryption can rightfully be laid at the feet of Philips.

What I'm worried about is the net effect upon the CPAP manufacturing industry as a whole.  I sure wouldn't want to risk investing in CPAP manufacturing knowing what's going on with Philips and (now) perhaps ResMed and even other companies if this silicone issue is proven to be a real issue.

What would happen if CPAP companies just decided to get out of the CPAP business completely?  Ain't no law to prevent that, and I wouldn't blame them if they did.

In fact, DeVilbiss did exactly that only a few months ago.  This could be a trend.

That's what's concerning to me - this could only increase the cost of CPAP machines in the future (in order to cover perceived risk for exactly these types of issues).
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,840 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,617 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,186 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 368 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.