Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How many tries took to find the right mask?
This poll is closed.
One
28.21%
11 28.21%
Two
17.95%
7 17.95%
Three
12.82%
5 12.82%
Four
12.82%
5 12.82%
Five
5.13%
2 5.13%
Six
2.56%
1 2.56%
More than six
20.51%
8 20.51%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How many tries took to find the right mask?
RE: How many tries took to find the right mask?
I have had 2:

1)Swift FX - Liked the weight and feel but could keep it on all night (i am a side sleeper)
2) Current: Quattro FX - Love this mask!

Post Reply Post Reply
At the time I got my first machine, they gave me a choice between an Adams Circuit and a full face mask. As I had no desire to shave off my beard, I opted for the circuit. I used the Adams Circuits for many years until I got tired of staring at the hose coming down the center of my head and making my forehead red and itchy. I conducted extensive research on-line and finally settled on the mask that I currently use - a Respironics Optilife.

The mask does have one drawback: My wife can no longer kiss me goodnight unless I remove it first! Too-funny
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given a Quattro full face and stuck to it ever since. A few months ago I did change to the fx but went quickly back to my Quattro F/F very quickly
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me 3 mask changes to find the mask I am currently using. I had on a CPAP for over 8 years and was basically using the same mask I was given at the beginning. I did not realize my DME plan had replacement or upgrade option so I was ordering the same mask and filters for the same machine. I had been using a basic silicon nasal mask for years.

One day I was at the DME location picking up more filters, and got talking with another in the waiting room. I found out we were on similar medical plan. He showed me his CPAP machine and mask he had brought in for the DME supplier to check out. When I got home I called my Doctor and mentioned I was using the same machine for over 8 years. She quickly authorized a new CPAP machine with a heated humidifier for me.

When I was picking up the machine I asked what newer masks are available compared to the old 8 years old mask design I was using. Second mask change I got a gel cushion nasal mask with an adjustable nose bridge head cushion. My leaking mask around my laugh lines were gone using this new mask.

My third mask change came up by chance. I went to a Sleep Apnea self help group meeting hosted at a local hospital. That particular meeting they had a few CPAP equipment suppliers coming to show off their new products. Everyone attending the meeting got a raffle ticket for a prize. My number was picked and was able to choose from a number of masks the CPAP suppliers had brought with them. I was talking with a vendor on a nasal pillow mask she was showing. That was the prize I choose with my ticket. I went home and tried it the first night and have been using it ever since.

Nice comfortable seal, and very little leakage if I don't turn over and sleep on my face. This nasal pillow is much quieter than my nasal mask. So along with the new CPAP machine, our bedroom is very quiet which my wife appreciates.

So three mask changes for me to come to my current nasal pillow. I think I have been sleeping with a CPAP machine for around 12 years or so. I sleep with it every night except when I have a bad cold with sinus all blocked.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there needs to be an another option: "I still haven't found the right mask".
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2012, 02:47 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: I think there needs to be an another option: "I still haven't found the right mask".
Haven,t thought of this option.
Have you tried other types of masks beside nasal pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a few different masks out while awake, but the one that I first used when asleep was the one that I prefer (Swift FX).

Out of curiosity I've tried a few others at night but have always gone back to the pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through like a FF then a nasal mask, then the Adam Circiut and while I kinda was not happy with the hose arrangement, it at least fit and didn't leak. Then years of non-compliance and come to find out I can't get new headgear for the Adam circuit (what a cryin shame) so they affered the Swift FX as their current Nasal Pillows system. So I voted for 3 because I would probably still be using that clunky old Adam circuit if they had new head gear! LOL! But it has kinda been 4!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried two nasal masks, then switched to a nasal pillows, which I liked a lot more. I'm now on my second nasal pillows. In five more months I'll be eligible for another, and will then probably try a fifth.

I'm eligible for a replacement every three months, so I'm stock piling. I've got one used nasal mask, one NIB nasal pillows, another used nasal pillows, plus the nasal pillows I'm using now. In two months I'll get a replacement and probably keep it NIB.

Like I said, a pack rat, er, sorry, I mean a stock piler!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me 4 trys to get to the mask I'm using now which is a "Resmed Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP/BiLevel Mask." The only problem I'm having with it is that all the other nasal masks I have used were petite and the smallest cushion I can get for this particular mask is a small. I think I would have even fewer leaks if the cushion were a petite but I am able to manage it alright. Maybe "Resmed" will consider making a petite cushion some day, hopefully.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  [CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling. Speusippus 1 456 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.