Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask/leak question.
Mask/leak question.
I got my cpap about a week and a half ago, adjusting is slow so I don't have much data to run through Sleepyhead.
But I have a question about my nasal mask that seems to be leaking air out of the front. The mask fit indicator on my airsense 10 shows good, but when it starts to increase pressure there's a pretty strong flow of air that seems to be coming directly from the mask, seems to be right where the hose connects to the mask. I can feel it against my hand when I hold it up to the mask.

It doesn't look damaged, is this normal?

Edit: after looking closely, it looks like there's little pinhole vents that might be causing me to feel this "leaking", which is obviously intentional.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask/leak question.
That is the vent, all masks have them. When you breath out, it is exhausted here. There is also a continuous exhaust of fresh air from the machine (to prevent your exhaled breath from getting into the hose. As the pressure increases, the flow out of the vent and, unfortunately the noise, will increase.

If you can fill in your profile with your machine, mask(s), settings, etc. it will help us answer your questions more quickly and accurately.

Post Reply Post Reply
the mask *has* to vent, or you can't get rid of the exhaled CO2. some masks have better diffusion than others. (which do you have???) I prefer the P10 for its very diffused venting; I am very intolerant of streams of air hitting my body, especially when it feels cool.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Mirage FX. I was thinking of trying nasal pillows as my insurance will cover one change on my headgear the first month.

I also need to up my low end pressure as it's not cutting it when I first try to sleep.

On a positive note, I wore it the whole night 2 nights ago for the first time. The machine said my AHI was 1.7. If that's correct, pretty good from an AHI of 107.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a pretty impressive reduction in AHI! If insurance will pay for it, I would get a different type of mask. I have full fast, nasal, and nasal pillows. I switch between them as the mood (and problems) move me.
Post Reply Post Reply
make sure u try any mask at your max pressure. Higher pressures make it harder not to leak!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 01:02 AM)chill Wrote: That is a pretty impressive reduction in AHI! If insurance will pay for it, I would get a different type of mask. I have full fast, nasal, and nasal pillows. I switch between them as the mood (and problems) move me.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed too, although my sleep study was done while I was on my back and all my sleeping with cpap has been on my side. I'm sure skews the numbers a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2016, 12:48 PM)DariaVader Wrote: the mask *has* to vent, or you can't get rid of the exhaled CO2. some masks have better diffusion than others. (which do you have???) I prefer the P10 for its very diffused venting; I am very intolerant of streams of air hitting my body, especially when it feels cool.

Have you tried the Swift FX?

That's what I picked up today. I had the option of that or the P10 and I opted for the Swift FX as it had a more adjustable strap and a swivel on the tube, which has come in handy with my nasal mask. I tried it on and I'm optimistic.

Edit: Just found the Swift FX vs P10 thread(and saw your reply)...looks like I may have chosen poorly. The gal really kinda talked up the Swift...she said a lot of people complain that the strap gets too loose and she said the nasal pillows were the same...apparently not. Meh, if this doesn't work I guess I'll drop $75 on the P10 if this doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 326 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,255 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 399 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 195 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,470 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 200 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 212 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.