Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Philips-Respironics "DreamStation" - new CPAP series on the way
RE: Philips-Respironics "DreamStation" - new CPAP series on the way
The question I have is what the algorithm is like on it. Is it the same as the PRS1 560 or is it more like the Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course it is like the PRS, maybe an improvement on it, but in the same philosophy. They couldn't make it like the Resmed if they wanted - these things are patented. Nor would they want to - they have a very good and successful algorithm already. Changing the shape of the box is meaningless in this respect - it is a cosmetic change on the outside, some new machine functionalities and maybe some refinements of how it measures and reacts on the inside.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2015, 01:08 PM)DocWils Wrote: Of course it is like the PRS, maybe an improvement on it, but in the same philosophy. They couldn't make it like the Resmed if they wanted - these things are patented. Nor would they want to - they have a very good and successful algorithm already. Changing the shape of the box is meaningless in this respect - it is a cosmetic change on the outside, some new machine functionalities and maybe some refinements of how it measures and reacts on the inside.

He's probably right, although they might have made some changes.

They might also get around ResMed's patents, pay for the patent, cross license ResMed patents for Respironics patents, or some patents might be expired.

However, I suspect Doc's right and it's mostly cosmetic, with perhaps some cost reductions or other hardware improvements that don't change the actual treatment algorithms.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips has posted a brief video of it on YouTube. Search for Philips DreamMapper app & DreamStation. It doesn't show much.

Edit: a Google search also brings up their press release dated Sept. 3, 2015.
Post Reply Post Reply
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_q-IeKJGpw

Press Release:

Quote:September 3, 2015
Philips Respironics Dream sleep apnea solutions

Berlin, Germany - Encouraging peace of mind and peaceful nights,
Philips’s clinically proven patient-focused sleep apnea care solutions are designed to be as comfortable, natural and easy to experience as sleep is intended to be. Engaging, personalized coaching tools empower users to embrace their care with confidence while seamlessly connecting patients and care teams for optimal therapy management.

The Dream Family is a complete sleep solution that enhances the quality, ease of use and efficiency of therapy for better results.

The Dream Family consists of:

* DreamStation
* DreamWear
* DreamMapper

DreamStation
DreamStation offers a range of positive airway pressure (PAP)* sleep therapy devices that offer exceptional comfort, intelligent monitoring, motivation and feedback, and seamless connectivity to the care team for proven clinical care and effortless patient management. Alongside the baseline continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP)* model, the CPAP Pro, Auto CPAP, BiPAP, Auto BiPAP, and BiPAP Auto SV feature advanced event detection and automation algorithms that anticipate and respond to your individual therapy needs.

DreamWear
Designed to feel like you’re not wearing a mask, DreamWear’s innovative design directs airflow through the frame so patients can sleep comfortably with more freedom of movement. The minimal contact, under-the-nose cushion prevents red marks, discomfort or irritation in the nostrils or on the nose bridge.

DreamMapper
A mobile and web-based patient support application with motivational alerts, troubleshooting advice, and educational content, DreamMapper is designed to help you take active role in adjusting to using your sleep apnea therapy, so that you can enjoy the benefits of better sleep and health.

Philips Sleep and Respiratory Care exists to restore natural sleep and breathing, empowering people with the confidence and freedom to live the life that they want and rediscover their hopes and dreams. Intuitive, easy to use and seamlessly connected, our clinically proven innovative solutions are trusted to make even the darkest day clearer, fresher and brighter.

* Abbreviations used:
* Positive Airways Pressure (PAP)
* Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)

http://www.ifa.philips.com/news/digital-...-solutions

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a look at the dreamwear mask, and while it looks good, I have a few caveats - the air runs down the sides of the cheeks to the nasal input, as such, it is relatively rigid and I don't think it will be comfortable for side sleepers, although for back sleepers it should be fine. Noise and exhaust values were not immediately clear to me, nor was leakage or fit quality as I was only allowed to hold it in my hands and I was in the noisy environs of the IFA (new medical devices are also being showcased there, so a day trip was laid on for me to peruse various manufacturers - out of Zurich at 7, back at 17:30). The box itself felt a bit less clunky than the PRS, but around the same overall size, slightly smaller and lighter. Sorry to say I had exactly 30 seconds with it all, so I couldn't explore it in any way or depth, as I was quickly ushered on to other products they wanted to push on me in my professional capacities. For some reason they also didn't want to give me the literature on the stuff, but again, I think it was because they wanted to get me interested in some other new professional medical devices, and this was outside my area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Bama posted earlier, I too am an early adopter (just hit my first 30-day filter reminder), and I also have nothing to compare it to. But it is VERY nice. I paired it with a non-heated tube and an F&P Simplus full mask. To some of the specific points mentioned earlier in the thread:

- The display, including the control knob, is angled upward, not flat as someone else asserted. It is the perfect angle for sitting on a standard-height nightstand.
- My setting is 8.0, and at that pressure there is no whistling or significant ambient room noise. My wife can't hear it in operation, and she's right next to me. BUT to be fair, it sits on a folded hand towel to minimize resonance with the (boxy) nightstand.
- Having said that, there's a tiny bit of sound that transmits through the tube (think bone conduction). Mine is full auto, so I can hear the fan spinning up/down in rhythm with my breathing. Pretty soft, though.
- The power cord connects on the side of the housing, yes; but the plug itself is right-angled, and tightly "hugs" the cabinet all the way to the rear of the humidifier. The housing is contoured in a manner that you don't really see it. No reason to think that it couldn't continue to hug around the back of the humidifier as well.
- I have no issues with the humidifier. It's not troublesome or tricky to refill. My DME noted that Philips chose a new reservoir material that is dishwasher safe... but I'm not sure I'd actually want to go that route.

My DME was distracted enough to leave the Provider Manual in the package ("do not give to patient", lol). So if you have questions, I'll check back periodically.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2015, 01:47 AM)PajamaGame Wrote: My DME was distracted enough to leave the Provider Manual in the package ("do not give to patient", lol). So if you have questions, I'll check back periodically.
Welcome to Apnea Board, PajamaGame

Excellent ...
SuperSleeper would like to have copy so he can make it available for all of us and added it to CPAP manuals list ... Thanks
See post #1: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid129355

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that reminder, Zonk!

If someone does have a copy of the DreamStation clinician Setup Manual, (even a paper copy), it would be great if someone could scan it into a high-quality PDF file and email it to me at apneaboard@gmail.com so we can make it available to others.

Alternatively, if someone wants to make a nice photocopy of all the pages, (or send an original, which would be better) and mail it to me, I can scan it myself and make it available as a PDF here.

If you'd like to mail a copy, you can send it to:

Apnea Board
PO Box 62
Dixon, IL 61021
USA

If you do mail a copy, send me a PM (private message) so I can be looking for it.

Thanks!

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2015, 08:27 AM)cate1898 Wrote: When does this machine hit the market? Anyone know if it will hit the US market same time as the Canadian market?

I just picked one up on Tuesday along with the philips nuance pro mask. Both have really worked great so far. Due to my high deductible I declined the humidifier option but would have hardly used it anyways.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,847 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,064 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,232 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.