Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Philips-Respironics "DreamStation" - new CPAP series on the way
RE: Philips-Respironics "DreamStation" - new CPAP series on the way
I understand your frustration, and I suggest you try out the ResMed A10, as the problem you are encountering seems to be, from a distance, a design flaw in the new Dreamstation when operating at high pressure (you are not the first to report this problem here or elsewhere), however I suggest when you return you ask to try another Dreamstation at your provider to see if the same problem occurs at your pressure (hoping that your provider has an office quiet enough to be able to tell). If there is an A10 there, ask to try it in front of them as well, so take your mask and hose with. Alternately, have a look at the PRS 60 if they still have any, and see if that works well at 19. It is the precursor to the Dreamstation, is a proven design, very sturdy and reliable, and may stand you in good stead, and is way cheaper now that they are selling them all off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I am going tomorrow morning with all my equipment and will test them out in the office...that's exactly what I was thinking, trying another DreamStation and if it's not significantly quieter, moving on to something else. They did give me a choice between the DreamStation and the ResMed Airsense 10...so we'll see what happens tomorrow. It's a bummer though, my last experience with a brand new machine was completely flawless.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty impressive noise, especially with the humidifier. Almost sounds like a seal is missing.
What I can't figure out is why with a pressure of 19, why aren't on BiPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good question...
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been at 19 for 6 years. I just had a new sleep study done last week to make sure it was still correct, and the study put me right at 19 again. I have huge tonsils, my doc is questioning if they should come out, but she did the new study to make sure I didn't have to move up into a bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 05:49 PM)rooooo Wrote: I've been at 19 for 6 years. I just had a new sleep study done last week to make sure it was still correct, and the study put me right at 19 again. I have huge tonsils, my doc is questioning if they should come out, but she did the new study to make sure I didn't have to move up into a bipap.

A CPAP or auto CPAP can produce 19 cmH2O pressure, but most people really benefit from a comfort standpoint with reduced expiration pressure that a BiPAP can produce. You certainly qualify, you just need to know why a bilevel is prescribed rather than CPAP. If you feel the resistance of the pressure during exhale, and it makes you uncomfortable, or causes arousals, then bilevel is appropriate at pressures above 14.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 05:49 PM)rooooo Wrote: I've been at 19 for 6 years. I just had a new sleep study done last week to make sure it was still correct, and the study put me right at 19 again. I have huge tonsils, my doc is questioning if they should come out, but she did the new study to make sure I didn't have to move up into a bipap.

I wouldn't lose my tonsils... they apparently are important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not THAT important - you can get on just fine without them. A lot of people do. But that may not be the cause of the SA at that level.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just left the medical supply center...something was definitely wrong with the first DreamStation that I received. When we turned it on, the air rushing noise was incredible. The person that was helping me got a new one out of the box and programmed it for 19, and it did NOT make the air rushing noise. I tried it with my mask and it did not make any noise on exhale like the first machine I had. So, no, I was not crazy. Smile The machine I received had some kind of defect.

However, it still produced the whining blower noise. You could hear the motor in the machine make different tones as I inhale, exhale, or just hold my breath. Like the motor was struggling....which was a deal breaker for me. In the videos I posted, you can hear the noise in the video without the humidifier. The whining actually travels through the hose!

So, that was a deal breaker, so they set up a ResMed AirSense 10 for me which did not have the whining noise...I'm looking forward to sleeping with it tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that whine is a design flaw based on how they changed the shape of the air intake and the filter placement, so many people will possibly report this problem at higher pressures - note: at lower pressures this is not a problem. However, it is also well to note that this is not an unknown phenomena for many designs, until the machine finds it's equilibrium with the patient, which is a software based issue.

An old adage is, "if you overhaul the plumbing without good reason, you can more easily stop up the drain" (sorry translating from French). There was a tried and true design fro air intake and filtering, and it was sacrificed for what seems to me to be the sake of a neat look. I may be wrong on this, but in my profession it is not the first time I have encountered such thinking. On the plus side, if it remains a problem, the next model will address it quickly, but current users will be out of luck - retrofitting the case, if that is where the problem lies, will not likely work. I am glad the A10 worked so well for you, I hope you get great sleep from it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,966 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,559 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,220 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,858 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,896 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 478 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,234 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.