Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Philips-Respironics "DreamStation" - new CPAP series on the way
RE: Philips-Respironics "DreamStation" - new CPAP series on the way
(10-15-2015, 02:02 PM)JJJ Wrote: In my case it was a couple of the contacts inside the reader that were bent back so they weren't making contact. I didn't realize what the problem was until I peered into the slot with a magnifying glass and light. To fix it I used a tool that looks like a dentist's pick to bend the contacts back where they belong. It was a tricky operation that required another person to hold the light and magnifying lens, 'cause my body came with only two arms.*

In your case it might be just the card. Does the card still work in a computer or elsewhere?

*Note to God: Next time around evolve the intelligent species on a planet from the insects.

next time use a "miner's light" Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2015, 12:31 AM)CaptainBama Wrote: And as far as the LCD screen on the front, it has a light sensor on top of the unit. It is dim in a dark room. And bright in a bright room. After a minute of no usage, the screen goes black. The power button to turn on the blower stays on. But it's no brighter than any other power button. And like I said, the screen turns off. It's not a touch screen. It is knob controlled only.

I just got my unit yesterday, and either there is something wrong, or this unit is just too bright. The display on mine is definitely bright in a dark room, I could read by it! It is completely dark when in use, but as soon as I shut it off the display and power button light up, and the minute it takes to turn off seems like an eternity while my wife is still trying to sleep! Even then the blue-lit power button stays on. Neither of us can stand light - especially blue light - in the room when we sleep, if this cannot be addressed I will have to exchange for something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option would be to put the unit in a drawer with the hose coming out the back. More than one person has commented on this bright display flaw.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make a little flap out of thin opaque cardboard to cover the display at night. Use tape as a hinge for the flap at the top. Also tape over the switch led. White vinyl or electrical tape is available and works good.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2016, 11:59 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: Make a little flap out of thin opaque cardboard to cover the display at night. Use tape as a hinge for the flap at the top. Also tape over the switch led. White vinyl or electrical tape is available and works good.

Thanks for the advice, but this is not acceptable to me. I did not buy an expensive piece of equipment so that I could tape stuff over it to make it usable. It just amazes me that they would design a piece of equipment to go in a bedroom and not at least have some setting to suppress its light output.

I called my provider and I am able to exchange it for an Airsense 10, which I did have on loan for a while. It never tried to light up the room, and also seemed quieter. I should have just bought one to start with, but allowed myself to be talked into the new Philips instead. Live and learn!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2016, 11:30 AM)DarkLord Wrote: I just got my unit yesterday, and either there is something wrong, or this unit is just too bright. The display on mine is definitely bright in a dark room, I could read by it! It is completely dark when in use, but as soon as I shut it off the display and power button light up, and the minute it takes to turn off seems like an eternity while my wife is still trying to sleep! Even then the blue-lit power button stays on. Neither of us can stand light - especially blue light - in the room when we sleep, if this cannot be addressed I will have to exchange for something else.
That's my main beef with the machine. I suggest you contact your DME and tell him your concerns. Express your concerns and have him voice them to his local Respironics rep.

I personally don't agree with workarounds or band aid solutions surrounding this issue. Hiding the unit in a drawer is not a good idea as the device has an exhaust and you wouldn't want the unit to overheat. Besides, if more people "return" their units due to this issue (which I imagine can easily be resolved with a firmware update) then Respironics would make changes sooner than later (new revisions of the same unit).

BTW, I posted in another thread about the AS10 and my loaner is intermittently having an issue with the unit's light not shutting down. The AS10 can be noiser too as well, this is a known issue due to the humidifier seals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Odd how I have the machine and this does not bother me in the slightest, as it's only lit up for about a minute before I go to sleep, then the display darkens. Of course I sleep with blacklights, lavalamps, and plasma lamps all over my room.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 04:22 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Odd how I have the machine and this does not bother me in the slightest, as it's only lit up for about a minute before I go to sleep, then the display darkens. Of course I sleep with blacklights, lavalamps, and plasma lamps all over my room.
Mine lights up for about 90 seconds. Just today, I talked to my DME and he says he's been getting many complaints about it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Does the light come on if you use auto on? Most of the time I don't use the power button, just put my mask on and start breathing. Guess I haven't noticed if the light comes on or not. I've used the light to add water to the humidifier tank and fiddle with my mask when not wanting to wake the wife. Hit the menu dial and it comes on. If given a choice I would opt to keep it, I find it useful, and it only stays on for 90 seconds. I certainly wouldn't call the light a flaw. I think some people, as myself, like the light, or at the very least consider it a non issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't find it bothersome. I might dim it or shorten the time it is off if I could. It does not come if you use auto-on, but that is not working with my FFM. I turned it on like that when I was using a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,952 7 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,396 8 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,217 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,854 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,893 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 477 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,234 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.