Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up too often
Waking up too often
I've had my CPAP machine for about a month now and something I've noticed is that I have a tendency to wake up about 4 to 4 1/2 hours after going to sleep. When I wake up I look at my watch, role over and go back to sleep. The thing that seems a bit odd to me is that before starting on the CPAP I almost always slept the whole night. So my question is whether others of you are experiencing the same thing I'm expericencing? If so have you been able to determine if there is something about the CPAP machine itself, what the machine is doing, etc that is causing you to wake up like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up too often
It's simply your body adapting to a hoseful of pressurized air in your face. You're lucky that it's not worse. The good news is, though, your body will adapt and these symptoms will fade away in time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did that the first week or two at times, but it's gone away now. For me I think I was probably just adapting to sleeping better and getting used to the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi moondoggy
It,s was the same with me couldn't sleep more 4 hours when started over a year ago.
It took a while to acclimatize and find the right mask
Over time sleep gradually got better and now sleep six hours and not falling asleep during the day.
I-love-CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
There's apparently been research that shows that a normal sleep cycle is about 4 hours. And, its the industrial age that has forced us to do it as 1 8 hour set.

But, before CPAP, we were sleeping with such poor sleep efficiency that we'd sleep 8 hours and feel more tired than we did going to bed....but now with CPAP, we're sleeping better and eventually the sleep debt get's paid back and we run into the cycle. So, we have to retrain ourselves to sleep 8 hours again?

I don't know I'm just mashing together facts I heard recently....

OTOH, I was waking up about once an hour all through the night after about the 18 month mark on CPAP.... Had another PSG, but while it showed that the CPAP eliminated my OSA (I scored 0 AHI that night), I still had low sleep efficiency and lacked deep sleep (and REM)....but so far its just continue what I'm doing.... The fact that there was 0 REM at all, doesn't seem to be bother them....they seemed to mainly have been focused whether I had SOREMs.

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 10:20 PM)TheDreamer Wrote: There's apparently been research that shows that a normal sleep cycle is about 4 hours. And, its the industrial age that has forced us to do it as 1 8 hour set.
I've heard of the first-sleep/second-sleep theory, and how the industrial revolution altered our species' sleep pattern from two periods of sleep per night to one. I think what the industrial revolution also did was alter the length of our sleep. Our ancestors hibernated, sleeping much longer during the long winter nights and a lot less during the short summer nights. Of course this is an effect that increases with latitude.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 117 11 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 262 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.