Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(08-17-2021, 04:08 PM)DaveCar Wrote: "Last night I disassembled my 4 1/2 year old DS ASV"

You found the black dust/bits.  That means you also inhaled similar sizes and small, in addition to the VOCs. 
Two questions then:
Did you use SoClean or some other type of ozone exposure ?
What type of humidity was your machine exposed to ?  

Davecar, I agree with your assessment about my exposure. 

I think I stated that this machine, rather the machine parts intended to be cleaned, have never been cleaned with anything but soap and water.

This machine has never been used (except for brief, occasional travel periods) in a climate with high temperatures or humidity.  Since I have owned this machine, I have lived only in Colorado Springs, CO and Taos NM.  Both locations are low humidity, lower temperature climates.
Post Reply Post Reply
WakeUpTime:  You are right about how I learned about the recall.  I read a news article, independent of all other sources.  That was about one week after the recall had been announced.  

I have never received any communication from the DME that sold me the device or from Philips Respironics.  This is in spite of the fact I was a registered, active user of the Philips DreamMapper software.  They knew then, and know now that I owned and used a Dreamstation that was a part of the recall.  They have my email address.  They also had the IP adress i used to register and know that I am in New Mexico.  However, I have received NO communication in any form from Philips.  

They must really want to make sure I know nothing!  Contrary to their press releases, they are NOT notifying the end-users of their machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both locations are low humidity, lower temperature climates. "

So now we have an example of a 4.5yr old machine with no ozone or even remotely "high" humidity breaking down.
Well.. this just keeps getting worse.
Thx for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if anyone else has seen the YouTube comments on some of the CPAP videos by various creators, but I have seen 5 now of different folks claiming they have received return shipping labels from Philips Respironics for their machines. Not sure if it is for replacement or what exactly(Most likely DS 2 Replacements), they didn't specify, but just thought I'd ask if any of you have seen them also. While it doesn't seem like much, if it's true, at least they could possibly be starting replacements.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed unveils new sleep apnea machine amid scramble to fill the void left by Philips' CPAP recall

Like previous models, the new AirSense 11 provides both automatic and continuous PAP therapy for obstructive sleep apnea. The APAP setting adjusts airflow throughout the night in tandem with changes in a user’s breathing patterns, while the CPAP mode, as the name suggests, provides a continuous rate of airflow all night long.

ResMed unveils new sleep apnea machine amid scramble to fill void left by Philips' CPAP recall | FierceBiotech
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all who advised me to wait for the new ResMed 11 series. There's light at the end of my personal CPAP recall tunnel.

The report by oldgreenhead confirms that operating and cleaning the machines as specified in even ideal temperature and humidity conditions is sufficient to introduce off-gasses and particulates into the air stream.

No exceptions.

It really doesn't matter whether the recall delay is Philips' fault, the FDA's fault or a combination. What matters is the recognition by every user that exposure is ongoing until the foam-infested machine is either replaced (the ideal solution) or defoamed.

No systematic and coordinated effort is being made to notify all users. Although the FDA could order a rememdy, the FDA's "customers" aren't you and me. The FDA works for suppliers first and for consumers only after potential harm is already inflicted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips stock owners have now filed a second class action lawsuit, in addition to the stock owner class action that alleges misdoings just prior to the recall announcement.  Perhaps they'll eventually be combined.  This new class action alleges ...

Quote:Philips made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that:

1. Philips had deficient product manufacturing controls or procedures;
  2. as a result, the Company’s Bi-Level PAP and CPAP devices and mechanical ventilators were manufactured using hazardous materials;
  3. accordingly, the Company’s sales revenues from the foregoing products were unsustainable;
  4. the foregoing also subjected the Company to a substantial risk of a product recall, in addition to potential legal and/or regulatory action; and
  5. as a result, the Company’s public statements were materially false and misleading at all relevant times.

[August 18, 2021 / United States District Court]
Post Reply Post Reply
[/url]
Pittsburgh Injury Law News

[color=rgba(27, 36, 40, 0.75)]"Over 30 Philips lawsuits have already been filed concerning this issue in courts around the country. This number is expected to grow significantly over the coming months. A motion has been filed with the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) to consolidate all of these cases into one court for pre-trial proceedings".[/color]

[color=rgba(27, 36, 40, 0.75)]The wheels seem to be falling off Philip's ability to control the narrative. Now, all the stories that were just below the surface are all starting to come out. This story will just keep getting bigger, as the saying goes, "there is blood in the water". I do not know what Philips can do to stop their bleeding. That all boils down to the one big question now, will Philips survive??[/color]

[url=<font][img=320x0]https://pittsburgh.legalexaminer.com/wp-content/themes/tle/assets/public/img/le-affiliate-320.png[/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
U.S. CLASS ACTION (DEVICE USERS) LAW SUIT
The leading U.S. Philips class action (device owners) law firm recently (posted today, August 18th) gave a status update.  He stated that his law firm (and others) are actively engaged with doctors and scientists throughout the country on the subject.  They are also connected and coordinating with other law firms who have been working on similar device user class actions.  

They expect to hear back from a U.S. District Court in the end of September with the following:
  • agreement to consolidate all similar Philips class actions (for device owners) into one
  • announce the U.S. District Court to hear the case
  • announce the judge for the case
  • etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just heard an interesting tidbit today from my wife's pulmonologist at the hospital: they can't do titrations because of the Philips recall. I'm glad they are being careful, but also sad for anyone who really needs a titration right away.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 36 981 3 hours ago
Last Post: MaggieL
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 482 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 801 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,340 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,803 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,745 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 261 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.