Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(08-18-2021, 12:54 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: Philips stock owners have now filed a second class action lawsuit, in addition to the stock owner class action that alleges misdoings just prior to the recall announcement.  Perhaps they'll eventually be combined.  This new class action alleges ...

Ridiculous that this has to be handled with private lawsuits. Where is the FDA, SEC, and FBI on this? These people are criminals AND fraudsters. 

Sleep-well my butt.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am seeing reports in other reddit that replacement units, DS2s, have been received from PR.
Post Reply Post Reply
NBC News Chicago

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]Restless Sleep: Recall Impacts Millions of Sleep Apnea Patients Worldwide[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.4)]Millions of Americans who suffer from sleep apnea need to check their CPAP and breathing machines for a potentially dangerous defect.[/color]
By Lisa Parker and Tom Jones [b]• [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]Published August 18, 2021,  Updated on August 18, 2021, at 10:46 pm[/color][/b]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)][color=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)]Making matters worse, the company tells NBC 5 Responds it does not have enough machines or parts to repair or replace the three-to-four million devices recalled worldwide. Half of those machines are in the United States, the company said.[/color][/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)][color=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)][color=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)]Attorney Dena Young represents more than 1,600 users of the machines who have filed a class-action lawsuit against Philips. In their complaint, the plaintiffs allege the company “knew about these very substantial and material risks long before the recall.”[/color][/color][/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)][color=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)][color=rgba(13, 13, 13, 0.9)]Restless Sleep: Recall Impacts Millions of Sleep Apnea Patients Worldwide – NBC Chicago[/color][/color][/color]
Post Reply Post Reply
If the reports are correct that they've started replacing DS1s then that makes sense. The priority may be related to the position of the foam relative to the air stream.

The air stream passes over the foam in the System One. However, in the DS1 the foam is placed directly in the air stream so that air flows around and through the foam. The result possibly is that a larger surface area of the foam is exposed to water molecules in the DS1. The greater the exposure, the higher the rate of hydrolysis reactions.

I've seen a lot of reports by DS1 owners that their foam is a badly degraded, oily looking mess.

In contrast, System One owners typically report that their foam looks mostly or entirely intact. Mine, for example, looks nearly new after 19,600+ hours even though I've saved mask diffusers that are peppered with black spots.

DS1 owners have newer machines but a more severe exposure than System One owners, hence the need to replace DS1s first. Philips may or may not confirm this as information is slowly released.

A story that hasn't leaked yet is what was it that forced Philips to go public. They could have chosen to (1) issue a recall under their own control or (2) keep quite and wait and see whether the FDA or a private lawsuit puts the problem into public view.
Post Reply Post Reply
My new DME tried to push one of on me. Politely told them it belongs in the trash...demanded a Airsence 10/11
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received this e-mail:

PHILIPS

Thank you again for taking the time to register your device, ensuring that your information is in our system. 
As a reminder, your confirmation number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Currently, we are processing the device serial number registrations that have been received and are actively working with global competent authorities on the remediation process. Our organization is working diligently to replace or repair devices as soon as possible. Based on current estimates of impacted devices worldwide, we are working towards completing this effort within approximately 12 months.

You will receive updates about what you can expect on a regular basis. In the meantime, please speak to your doctor concerning your therapy options. This is an important step as every patient scenario can vary and we respect the relationship between you and your physician regarding your personalized care. 
Please visit Philips.com/src-update for more information and continued updates, including the latest answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs). 

Our commitment to patient care is at the heart of everything we do. We sincerely apologize for this disruption and are dedicated to supporting you throughout this process.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received the Philips email too - except mine was in my spam folder.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 10:22 AM)videomagician Wrote: I just received the Philips email too - except mine was in my spam folder.

So glad I saw this.  Mine was also in my spam folder.  Same wording.  The "from" address was globalintake-noreply@sedgwick.com, and instead of ending in Xs, it showed zeros after 202106. Is it legit?
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe it is, as that's the address from which I received a response too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 11:49 AM)Phaleronic Wrote: I believe it is, as that's the address from which I received a response too.
Thanks!  Good to know something is happening, even if it could take a year.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 976 9 hours ago
Last Post: dormivi
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 134 20,420 11 hours ago
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,283 Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 97 Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 127 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,462 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 5,144 04-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.