Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(10-03-2021, 06:41 AM)Moriarty Wrote: What is the oldest machine that PR has accepted as a return? 

That's a good question and it would be interesting to track where Philips is at.  I assume you mean the oldest DreamStation, as Philips (I think) has only replaced DreamStation 1 CPAP and APAP devices at this time.  We're perhaps missing an opportunity for those who chime in to this thread and say that they've received their replacement DS2.  They may not return to this thread afterwards.  It sure would be good to know...

- Philips model
- approximate age of the machine
- whether the owner indicated if they were a SoClean user upon registration
- perhaps even one's general area (and soon, country)

I wonder if a new thread might help to try to obtain those answers (and others) from those who have received replacements.  Maybe something like "My Philips Recalled Device Replacement".  Otherwise, they may not return to this thread afterwards to answer those questions.  That thread could be considered a "Stage 2 Thread" (I've got my replacement).  Later, perhaps even a separate thread for those who got serviced, instead of replacements.  Both of those groups might never re-visit this main thread because in many ways they're past us.

As great and well-viewed as this thread is, it's become quite a challenge for new visitors because it encompasses so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
22 News

Greenfield dentist offers assistance to those impacted by recalled sleep apnea devices

Posted: Oct 3, 2021 / 05:52 PM EDT / Updated: Oct 4, 2021 / 09:48 AM EDT

GREENFIELD Mass. (WWLP)- BGH Dental is launching an initiative on Monday to help the nearly 5,000 people suffering from sleep apnea across western Massachusetts.

About 90 days have passed since the recall of 4 million ventilation and sleep apnea devices by Royal Philips NV dba Philips, which impacted the lives of many in western Massachusetts.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/local-news/fra...eep-apnea/
Post Reply Post Reply
The posts on Aerophagia have been split off into their own thread, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...lit-thread

Please try to keep this thread on-topic (the Philips recall situation).

Thanks.  Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
CONNECTICUT

10/05/2021

Attorney General Tong Urges FDA to Expedite Philips CPAP Replacement

(Hartford, CT) – Attorney General William Tong today urged the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to step up their oversight of the Philips Respironics recall to ensure that millions of impacted patients can resume safe use of their CPAP, BiPAP, and ventilator devices as soon as possible.

https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Press-Releases/...eplacement
Post Reply Post Reply
I received the DreamStation 2 replacement on my doorstep on 9/25/2021.  I set it up and tried it for three nights.  I agree that it is not an improvement over the DS1 for all of the reasons stated in this thread.  Additionally, I found that it does not provide as effective of therapy as the Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle that I bought out-of-pocket as a result of the recall.  My average AHI was 4 points higher with the DS2 than the SleepStyle.  I have been told that the DS2 alogrithm is not as agressive and is slower to react than the SleepStyle and ResMed models.

My DME provided me with the DS1, without offering any other options, when I started CPAP therapy on 4/7/2021.  It is on a rent to own contract through Medicare, so I still do not own the machine.  Regardless, Medicare won't pay rent on a different machine if I turn the DreamStation(s) back in, even if I agree to reimburse them for the rent Medicare has paid thus far (approximately $300.00).  I would love to get set up with a ResMed 11 and use my SleepStyle in my trailer.  Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get Medicare to work with me on this?

As far as returning the DS1, I received packing instructions, labels, etc. in the DS2 box.  I saved everything, but I am not about to return the machine unless I am absolutely forced to.  If Philips wants to sue me, I will counterclaim for the cost of the SleepStyle.

Steptoe
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like DS2s are rolling out, so far.  I have a DS BiPap machine.  Have not heard of anyone having their replaced or repaired.   Any luck with BiPap?
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that the DS2 was provided as a recall replacement for the DS1 wouldn't the rent to own contract effectively transfer to the DS2?
I would expect that the DS1 itself will have been written off. That being said I guess it's a bit of a long shot to expect a common sense solution from an insurance provider...

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2021, 04:09 AM)Neelix Wrote: That being said I guess it's a bit of a long shot to expect a common sense solution from an insurance provider...

Calling Medicare an insurance provider is a stretch. It may sort of act like one occasionally, but it's government program and suffers the same issues all do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fair enough...   I don't have a firm grasp of how these things work in the US. Though based on what I've heard I think I'm glad I don't live there.   That being said, I'd argue that expecting common sense out of a government agency is even more of a long shot. Rolleyes   (If I sound a bit salty that may be because I've a close enough view of how the bureaucracy works in my own state to know that common sense very rarely seems to factor into the decision making)

- Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2021, 09:43 AM)Neelix Wrote: That being said, I'd argue that expecting common sense out of a government agency is even more of a long shot. Rolleyes  

No argument and exactly the point.

A real insurance* company has ways to work issues and they are effective (in my experience). Maybe not easily. But not as bogged down as government. 

I think most insurers would update the records to show the new machine (DS2) at the same price, simply swap just like a warranty replacement. And cover supplies for it (assuming there are differences).

Coverage for the other/2nd machine after only a few months gets complicated. I didn't/don't deal with a DME so clueless there (bought outright from doctor and handle supplies myself).

* I don't like calling them insurance either. That's a stretch compared to other types of insurance.
It's a health care plan provider. 
Imagine if auto or home insurance provided for routine maintenance, like new tires, oil changes, or painting the house, some of it "free" even.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 978 10 hours ago
Last Post: dormivi
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 134 20,423 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,293 04-23-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 97 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 127 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,462 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 5,146 04-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.