Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(11-22-2021, 11:52 PM)cathyf Wrote: We patients aren't the customers of the manufacturers, but we ARE the customers of the doctors/DMEs/clinics/hospitals/sleepLabs/etc.

And those various professionals have no motivation to make big sacrifices so that Philips can make money.

Every medical appointment in the US is followed up by a survey. Fill out the survey, write this stuff down, make it clear that you are unhappy with YOUR providers if those providers aren't sufficiently unhappy with the manufacturers.

Given the number if doctors/DME that just report compliance (based on comments here and other places) all can think is good luck with that.

Seems most aren't all that concerned with effective therapy,  just usage hours and continued payments.

While my doctor is responsive, it's only if I say something. He doesn't come to me suggesting changes based on the data when I'm not complaining.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2021, 11:52 PM)cathyf Wrote: Philips is supposedly giving your dme and doctor the data which would allow the dme and doctor to determine whether the Philips machine really treats your apnea. If it turns out that the DS2 is a scam, then the dmes and doctors who colluded in Philips' fraud have just taken on a huge liability. Even if everything is on the up-and-up, if  you make an absolute pest of yourself EVERY DAY asking for your data from the night before, and EVERY DAY some staff person has to respond to your requests, that's a whole lot of hassle that Philips sure isn't paying them for!

If I were a doctor or a dme I would be running away from Philips as fast as I could.

If you are a patient of that doctor or dme, then you have the opportunity to explain to your doc/dme why you are running away from Philips, and that the doc/dme is choosing between Philips and the patients.

Let's say there are 91,600 active members on ApneaBoard. (Pretty generous to assume 100% are active)
Let's assume that they all use OSCAR and are aware that detailed data exists and that they all care deeply about holding an active roll in their therapy. And let's assume they are all in the US.

Let's figure there are 3 to 4 million affected machines in the US. (Don't know the actual count, or global count)
And we'll figure that perhaps Philips has 60% of the market share.

So there would be 55,000 AB members who have Philips machines assuming all are affected by the recall. (Very generous)
91,600 * 0.6 = 54,960

Then 55,000 / 3.5M machines = 0.0157.
So 1.5% of the population (Philips users who care) would be complaining to their DME's in this highly flawed and extremely generous example. And 98.5% of the population would just do what they are told by their DME's.

Quite frankly, there are not near enough squeaky wheels to even get noticed. I'm not saying don't push your DME's and complain from the mountain tops. But I think this will be a lonely battle. Best practice is to just direct your business to anywhere other than Philips. I doubt that all the AB members could impact the giant Philips machine into doing what's right and ethical.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
(11-23-2021, 11:05 AM)RayBee Wrote: Quite frankly, there are not near enough squeaky wheels to even get noticed.

Exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2021, 11:05 AM)RayBee Wrote: Quite frankly, there are not near enough squeaky wheels to even get noticed. I'm not saying don't push your DME's and complain from the mountain tops. But I think this will be a lonely battle. Best practice is to just direct your business to anywhere other than Philips. I doubt that all the AB members could impact the giant Philips machine into doing what's right and ethical.

I agree it will be best to think globally while acting locally. Attempting to influence Philips will be too much like teaching a pig to sing — a waste of time and an annoyance to the pig.

The pig thinks that sleep doctors and DMEs will perceive that it is to their advantage for the market to have 2 strong suppliers. I hope their porcine imagination is way off the mark.

Only time will tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Received this email from Philips today:

"We would like to share an important update to the recall notification* for your Philips CPAP, BiLevel PAP or mechanical ventilator device. Your safety is our top priority. And we want to make sure that you, and as many patients as possible, can continue safely with therapy. This is why we have updated the US recall notification to align with the FDA’s recommendations in connection with these recalls and provide broader guidance on use.

If you use a BiLevel PAP or CPAP sleep apnea device and have already consulted with your healthcare provider, no further action is required of you with regards to this update.

If you use a BiLevel PAP or CPAP sleep apnea device and have not consulted with your healthcare provider, we encourage you to reach out to discuss the appropriate next steps for your therapy. This guidance is updated from our previous recommendation to stop therapy before consulting with your healthcare provider. Click here for the updated recall notification.

If you use a life-sustaining mechanical ventilator device, please do not stop or change your ventilator use and talk to your healthcare provider. There are no updates to this guidance. Click here for the updated recall notification.

What to expect next
Clinical information has been made available to your care teams to help them make the best decision about your treatment plan. Since your physician knows your medical history, they are the most qualified person to determine the benefit or risk of staying on your therapy until you receive your replacement device.

We understand that waiting for news about when and how your device will be repaired or replaced can be frustrating and that timing is critical. We are working hard to complete this recall and will stay in communication with both you and your care team to share the most up-to-date information. While we have already made progress in shipping replacement devices, and have increased our production capacity, we anticipate the repair and replacement program in the US will take through approximately September 2022 to complete.

As a reminder, your affected device was registered on xxxx and your registration confirmation number is xxxx. Please remember to save this registration confirmation number for future communications.

You can also visit philips.com/src-update for information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for your continued trust.

*This is a recall notification for the US only, and a field safety notice for the rest of the world. In the US, the recall notification has been classified by the FDA as a Class I recall. Devices authorized for repair and replacement include DreamStation CPAP and BiLevel devices, DreamStation ASV devices, and DreamStation ST/AVAPS devices."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[We were able to get a ResMed AirSense 11, but for those waiting until September 2022 for repair or replacement could mean serious health problems due to the foam degradation. I am very grateful we got the new ResMed.]
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Anyone else caring for very elderly loved ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW.  My Sleep Dr is a pulmonologist in shared practice with 7 other Pulmonologists. Their procedure has been to rotate among the 2 "nationally prominent"  DMEs , provided that the patient does not indicate a preference to some of the lesser known DMEs. They do not normally prescribe a particular brand of PAP machine, unless the patient indicates a preference of one brand versus another, otherwise they leave it to the DME to choose the manufacturer. 

In my recent visit I asked to have a new prescription for a Resmed machine, and Dr. asked why I particularly wanted Resmed as I had been using Respironics for 10+ years. (I had just become eligible for a new machine) 

What I told Dr was that PR had made a change in their machine, one change was the prevention to validate or audit  the algorithms used in their new machine.  I likened this to expecting an auditor to inspect a business ledger that was purposely inscribed in an extraterrestrial language. It simply leaves one with the impression that there is intent to deceive. 

The Dr volunteered that he would share this information with his partners and their resident PSG analyst.

My point in relating this story is that IF cpap-geeks make that case to prescribing physicians and DMEs and that argument is shared among their colleagues PR's business may see sales suffer, and that will be the one thing that would cause PR to reverse course on data encryption.
Post Reply Post Reply
While both I and the OSCAR team as well as the staff on Apnea Board strongly disagree with PR's stance of encryption on the SD card. We are now working on the DS2 functionality in OSCAR. I other words, soon the DS2 will be in the fold of supported machines.
Read the post on OSCAR and DS2 status.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2021, 03:51 PM)Gideon Wrote: Read the post on OSCAR and DS2 status.
Great news, but what is the proper name for the "OSCAR and DS2 status" post or thread?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can find the updated OSCAR status for Philips Dreamstation 2 here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...DS2-Status
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FDA Finds Maker of Recalled Sleep Aid Devices Knew Of Problems For Years. But Didn't Act

A Food and Drug Administration (FDA) investigation alleges that for years, the Philips Respironics company knew of health risks associated with its sleep aid devices but did not immediately act.

By Lisa Parker and Tom Jones • Published December 2, 2021, • Updated on December 2,

In example after example, investigators allege for years, staff within the Philips Respironics company knew of foam degradation problems in its devices but did not immediately act. In addition, the investigation found executive managers for the company knew of the problems for more than a year before issuing the voluntary recall.

According to the FDA’s inspection, there were warnings from inside the company. This included "at least 14 tests or assessments" from as early as 2016 where Philips’ staff were “aware of issues and concerns related to potential foam degradation.”

https://www.nbcchicago.com/consumer/fda-...t/2698459/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,859 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 970 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.