Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(12-05-2021, 11:26 AM)btreger Wrote: Trying not to drag network concerns on any longer. For those interested in this stuff, this website I think can answer most of your questions.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/cdma-vs-gsm-w...difference

Says nothing about what the DS or DS2 uses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 01:40 PM)ST Dog Wrote: Says nothing about what the DS or DS2 uses.

That is true, it was meant to answer overall 2022 network questions. I think you had done a good job specific to DS and DS2's. Of course, if any member has a specific question regarding network concerns, feel free to ask, and I am sure someone will be able to provide an answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
New poster here.  Question for this group please about potential consequences of using the Philips Dreamstation.  I started using a CPAP, a brand new Dreamstation approximately February 10, 2021.  I stopped using it very early July when I first got notice of the recall.  I never liked using the CPAP, I felt it restricted my breathing at night but forced myself to use it anyway, for at least five hours a night, to ensure I met the medicare requirements for purchase.

I have not used a Cpap since I stopped using the Phillips, which they just replaced by the way, but I am still leery of again using either a Cpap or especially a Phillips Cpap.

I notice, as I did a few months after I first started using the machine, that I now have a significant amount of mucus in my throat.  Not enough for me to cough, not enough to cause shortness of breath, but sometimes it does seem to make my breathing heavier.  I still exercise regularly, oftentimes intensive cardio, but still can't get rid of this mucus.

I guess I will have to be checked out by my physician, but wondering if this may well be a consequence of using this defective product.  Don't know if the foam ever degraded in the machine, but as i understand it, it produced toxic gasses after only day one,

I also note I am not eligible for the class action lawsuits, which require using the machine for 6 months, and I barely made it to five months.  I am hopeful because there is no evidence the machine used for less than six months can cause any damage, but likely its just an arbitrary cutoff.

Thanks for any information.
Post Reply Post Reply
David, using a cpap should not produce mucous in your throat. It also should not make you feel restricted in your breathing. however, new users can often feel claustrophobic in their masks. More, if your pressure settings are too low, your machine may not be delivering enough oxygen. That would result in feeling restricted for sure.

Supposedly the foam should NOT off gas after a few nights, the way a new mattress or rug will stop. Likewise, foam degradation is more likely to occur over time, not in the first few months. This seems reasonable to me, but others here will disagree. My main point is, it takes some time to dial in--solve--using a cpap machine and mask. Once you do, it can deliver tremendous benefit to your health and quality of life. I understand not wanting to use a PR machine, although one would think that a replacement would have fixed the foam issue.

Can you work with your doctor or DME to try to dial in your cpap therapy? there's no reason to fear using a non-PR machine. Would you feel more likely to use another brand? Would it be less worrisome? The important thing is to start using SOME cpap again, if you can adjust it properly to deliver oxygen and pressure comfortably. It should do that!

I somehow doubt that your mucous issue is related to using your machine. Coincidence is not causality; there's likely another cause involved. Talk with your doctor!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 10:43 PM)David Gor Wrote: New poster here.  Question for this group please about potential consequences of using the Philips Dreamstation. 
<< etc. >>

Welcome to ApneaBoard!  It's great that your first post was in this forum.  

Just another one of many contributor's thoughts here.  Quick research on "mucus" and CPAP found this.  (My apologies if you already are familiar with these ideas.)

Quote:Your nasal passages may be trying to create a barrier of protection by producing excess mucus, which causes you to become congested. Whether your nose is dry or full of mucus, a heated humidifier can add the moisture your nasal passages need to reduce or eliminate the irritation. Already using a heated humidifier? Try a higher setting, an insulating cover for the hose, heated tubing, or add a soothing nasal spray to your care routine. It’s important to correct this issue since dry, cracked, or bleeding nasal passages make you susceptible to infection.

There's also this scientific research paper that suggests, even with significant humidification, degrees of nasal inflammation exists with CPAP use.   [https://openres.ersjournals.com/content/6/2/00327-2019] 

So I'm not sure I'd point to the defective carcinogenic recalled Philips systems as being related to the issue of mucus buildup without thoroughly ruling out the more common influencers and possibilities (geographic region or climate, machine humidity, equipment hygiene, possible other infection causes, etc.)  If opening my DS1 system unit showed visual evidence of the Philips carcinogenic foam disintegration and my corresponding ingestion/inhalation of those particles, then I'd be significantly more likely to make the link.  Correlation doesn't always indicate causation, but to an experienced detective, it very often does.

Though I don't know your sleep study results, I'm not sure going off CPAP for the past five months was the best option; but I know a significant group of users may have indeed responded similarly after first hearing the Recall - especially since Philips themselves basically instructed to immediately halt use of their faulty medical devices.  If you have survived well without CPAP, then you are much better off than me.  I couldn't go a few hours without my CPAP during sleep.  After five months, I'd be unrecognizable or deceased.  

Regarding off-gassing, I believe it to be a concern well past the first few nights of initial use - in addition to the ongoing disintegration and chemical breakdown of its carcinogenic foam.

If it were me, I'd have opened the DS1 to see first-hand the evidence of possible ingestion of carcinogenic foam particles.  If that foam were intact, I would have some relief.  If it were mostly intact and had many particles scattered around the chamber, I would be a little concerned.  More than that, and I'd be a angry.  We can presume that it would be in fairly new condition, unless of course you were an active ozone-cleaning system user.  But even if you weren't, the foam's position (in addition to the composition) in the DS1s made it more prone to breakdown.  Having said that, there were some young DS1s that suffered rapid foam breakdown and old DS1s with foam in pristine condition.  

Yet, now you're facing new similar concerns again.  You have a new DS2 and are about to experience the traditional introductory highest off-gassing time.  For you, that's twice within one year.  Making matters worse, if you've gone back a few pages within this thread, you're likely aware of the new concerns regarding foam in the new DS2 systems by the FDA.

If you're not back into CPAP yet, consider using technology to monitor your sleep health, whether it's a Fitbit, periodic overnight home based sleep studies or just a low cost oximeter to record a night's oxygen levels at various times.  

For anything outside of the Recall, please consider starting a new thread.  

Stay healthy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2021, 10:26 AM)btreger Wrote: Philips Class Action Law Suit

Do you want to listen in to the first court date Philips has in the U.S.?

Here is how…

Wednesday, 12/15/2021 @ 2 PM Eastern

888-363-4749; passcode 1490596
Agenda for the 12/15 hearing:

The court intends to provide counsel with more information about the process she envisions for selecting the firms that will be on the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee, and she will likely set the deadline for when the applications will be due.

Joy Flowers Conti is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. She will hear the consolidated class-action lawsuit.
Post Reply Post Reply
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BEGINS
(12-06-2021, 01:42 PM)btreger Wrote: Agenda for the 12/15 hearing:

Your timely post prompted me to dial in for the LIVE teleconference of the Class Action Lawsuit Against Philips - starting in 5 minutes (11AM PT, 2PM ET).  

May the force be with the heroic defenders and protectors of the health and consumer rights of all xPAP medical device owners.  All xPAP users, past, present and future, will benefit by all the efforts of these guardians of the rights and protections of all negatively impacted parties.  We look forward to the coming revelations of the knowledge and internal decisions made by Philips and all the findings from the greater medical community.

UPDATES:  
(3:05PM ET)  "The host has not yet arrived.  Please stand by."
Post Reply Post Reply
"New poster here.  Question for this group please about potential consequences of using the Philips Dreamstation.  I started using a CPAP, a brand new Dreamstation approximately February 10, 2021.  I stopped using it very early July when I first got notice of the recall.  I never liked using the CPAP, I felt it restricted my breathing at night but forced myself to use it anyway, for at least five hours a night, to ensure I met the medicare requirements for purchase.

I have not used a Cpap since I stopped using the Phillips, which they just replaced by the way, but I am still leery of again using either a Cpap or especially a Phillips Cpap..."

It is important that you use your new pap machine.  Please don't let your fear stop you from getting the treatment you need. The folks here can help you set your machine to give better, more comfortable treatment.  Probably your old machine was set at pressures too low to help you breathe adequately, but that is easily fixed.

I doubt that the mucus has anything to do with your former machine, especially since you used it for such a short time.  It is probably related to it now being winter or just some slight change in your health.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
A little more on 3G networks

Nicko decided to do a youtube video on it if you are interested;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDa0wNvUXnc
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2021, 02:12 PM)btreger Wrote: 3G networks are shutting down in 2022
Here’s when each carrier expects to finish shutting down its 3G network. 

Sprint 3G: Jan. 1, 2022
AT&T 3G: Feb. 2022
Sprint LTE: June 30, 2022
T-Mobile 3G: July 1, 2022
Verizon 3G: Dec. 31, 2022
Does anyone know for sure, please do not guess, what network speed is used by both Philips and Resmed.

The modems in a DreamStation 1 (and earlier) are all plug-in. The cellular modem I have from 2018 has an FCC ID of R5Q-LISAC200A, which is a CDMA 1xRTT cellular modem. I imagine they'll be able to replace these with LTE equivalents, since they're evidently still manufacturing DreamStation 1s for BiPAP and ASV patients. If anyone has a newer modem with a different FCC ID, that would be interesting.

The DreamStation 2's modem is soldered onto the logic board. It's an LTE modem, and in the US has a Verizon SIM soldered on. There's also a much larger antenna built in than was possible in the previous modular attachments.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 41 1,243 6 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 69 6 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 132 20,337 10 hours ago
Last Post: Olym19841988
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 126 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,455 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 5,110 04-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,240 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.