Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(04-21-2022, 01:07 PM)btreger Wrote: More Class-action Lawsuits for Philips

Lawyers and Settlements

MEDICAL DEVICE SUPPLIERS HIT PHILIPS RESPIRONICS WITH CLASS ACTION

Glenside, PA. Philips is hit again with a class-action lawsuit, but this time medical device makers join thousands of consumers who filed complaints about the defective sleep apnea machines alleged to cause cancers and respiratory injuries. Baird Respiratory Therapy, Inc., filed in March 2022 a class action lawsuit against Philips in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, seeking to represent durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers nationwide who purchased Philips’ recalled breathing machines.

Baird claims that Philips breached its express warranty and misrepresented the potential risks (cancer and other injuries) inherent in the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) foam found in the machines. Because Philips “unreasonably delayed its recall” by waiting to notify Baird and other suppliers of reports indicating that the PE-PUR foam could breakdown and put users in harm’s way and it knowingly allowed its packaging, labels, advertisements, promotional materials, and websites to intentionally mislead Baird and other suppliers about the recalled products, Baird and other suppliers lost money when they were unable to resell the recalled CPAP and BiPAP machines.  The case is Baird Respiratory Therapy, Inc. v. Philips, 2:22-cv-00886.

Medical Device Suppliers Hit Philips Respironics with Class Action (lawyersandsettlements.com)

apneaboard.com got a shout out:

https://www.classaction.org/media/baird-...-et-al.pdf

24. Several facts support the assertion that Philips knew of the issue of the degradation of PE-PUR foam well in advance of issuing the recall. First, Philips’ own language admits that the recall was issued in response to “several complaints” it had received regarding black particles and debris in the airways of the Recalled Devices. Second, posts on message boards and YouTube channels such as the website apneaboard.com and the YouTube channel CPAP Reviews complained about problems now known to be consistent with the degradation of PEPUR foam, including black particles in the airways of the Recalled Devices.  

Kaching!!!!!! this is going to make the money involved in the patient class action suits look like gutter change.
Post Reply Post Reply
In an earlier post, I left a e-mail address for Dr. Shuren of the FDA

I sent him an e-mail and he did respond;

"FDA requests safety testing of replacement foam in Philips sleep devices recall", 11/15/21. We have been waiting a long time to hear the answer. We would like to know the chemical name of this new foam and its properties.

This was his response:

I am checking to see what I can provide you in response to your question. There will be information about the polyester-based polyurethane foam and testing made available in the next few days.

This all happened in two days.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be interested in hearing their response. As of right now I have a defoamed Dreamstation that seems to be working fine, my numbers are good and I'm not sure I'm thrilled by the idea of Philips sending me a replacement with some other foam that may or may not be bad. Really, the new machine won't improve anything for me but may add a different risk from the new foam. I might have to defoam the next machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also sent an email to Dr. Shuren on April 18th, but haven't yet received a response...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2022, 01:07 PM)btreger Wrote: Baird claims that Philips breached its express warranty and misrepresented the potential risks (cancer and other injuries) inherent in the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) foam found in the machines. Because Philips “unreasonably delayed its recall” by waiting to notify Baird and other suppliers of reports indicating that the PE-PUR foam could breakdown and put users in harm’s way and it knowingly allowed its packaging, labels, advertisements, promotional materials, and websites to intentionally mislead Baird and other suppliers about the recalled products, Baird and other suppliers lost money when they were unable to resell the recalled CPAP and BiPAP machines.  The case is Baird Respiratory Therapy, Inc. v. Philips, 2:22-cv-00886.

Medical Device Suppliers Hit Philips Respironics with Class Action (lawyersandsettlements.com)

I'm kind of curious as to what I see as the real elephant in the room, which is the malpractice liability to doctors, sleep techs, respiratory therapists, sleep centers, DMEs, etc., who used, prescribed, and/or sold PR products.

I've had 3 sleep studies at my little hospital sleep lab. (This is the only hospital in my county.) I have never had a titration, so I've never used the PR machine that's sitting on the nightstand in the lab. But I certainly have friends who were titrated on that machine.

C'mon, there must be cases where sleep techs saw black debris, and reported it to someone, and then continued to use the machine. Who have now set themselves up to be sued...

My small-town DME (in a different county, because my county isn't big enough for a DME) is one where the office manager is an RT. She's told me for years that she hates Philips, and strongly recommends against them, and the only cases that their office dispensed them was when the doctor insisted. (This office had only dispensed 47 PR machines that were under recall. It's like 20 years, right?)

It looks like PR has built its market share by bribing doctors and sleep labs and DMEs, who all damn well should have known better. Taking bribes to put patients in equipment that injures/kills them? Dayim they are in deep doodoo...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2022, 12:19 AM)cathyf Wrote: I'm kind of curious as to what I see as the real elephant in the room, which is the malpractice liability to doctors, sleep techs, respiratory therapists, sleep centers, DMEs, etc., who used, prescribed, and/or sold PR products.

I think you just killed the elephant. This was a multi-billion dollar industry. I am saying this was because I do not know the current revenue status. Everyone you mentioned was making a ton of money for a very long period of time. They did not have to be bribed, they all went into this with their eyes wide open, and when things got a little dirty they just closed them. Now they are probably all concerned about being held liable and potentially sued.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2022, 01:47 PM)TimaaaaaaaahRocks Wrote: apneaboard.com got a shout out:

https://www.classaction.org/media/baird-...-et-al.pdf

24. Several facts support the assertion that Philips knew of the issue of the degradation of PE-PUR foam well in advance of issuing the recall. First, Philips’ own language admits that the recall was issued in response to “several complaints” it had received regarding black particles and debris in the airways of the Recalled Devices. Second, posts on message boards and YouTube channels such as the website apneaboard.com and the YouTube channel CPAP Reviews complained about problems now known to be consistent with the degradation of PEPUR foam, including black particles in the airways of the Recalled Devices. 

Glad that Apnea Board got a mention. 
But at first I was concerned that the mention was within a class action lawsuit.   Bug-eyed Bag-head Too-funny

We've had legal challenges before... so I'm very glad this one is not directed at Apnea Board.   oldman
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tech Xplore

Philips takes hit by supply problems, respirator recall

Philips on Monday reported net losses of over 150 million euros in the first quarter of 2022 as the Dutch health technology firm battled a faulty respirator recall and supply chain problems.

Philips set aside a further 165 million euros to recall faulty respiratory equipment that puts users at risk of inhaling toxic foam.

Philips and a number of its subsidiaries however were subpoenaed earlier this month by the US Justice Department "to provide information related to events leading to the Respironics recall" it said.

Philips take hit by supply problems, respirator recall (techxplore.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
More Info:

DOJ subpoenas Philips over Respironics recall; CEO addresses investigation

“At this time it’s a subpoena for information,” CEO Frans van Houten said on today’s earnings call. “That means they are preparing an investigation and we just have to accept that.”

DOJ subpoenas Philips over Respironics recall; CEO responds | MDO (medicaldesignandoutsourcing.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems like things are moving in the right direction in the US.

Meanwhile, in Canada, not a single peep from Phillips about any sort of recall plan. I would be going out of my mind if I didn't already have another machine I could use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 36 1,011 10 hours ago
Last Post: MaggieL
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 492 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 808 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,344 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,811 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,746 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 261 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.