Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I was very excited to receive my replacement Dreamstation today, only to find out that they sent me a used one (says "recertified") that is 2 years and 4 months older than my old one, in an open used bag (inside the boxes), and it looks dirty. It did not include a humidifier or anything.

It is a used Dreamstation 1 that is 5 years old and they want me to remove the modem from my old one and attach it to the new one. I can't believe that they didn't sterilize the "recertified" one and send it in a new sealed bag. I am grossed out and do not want to use this thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
They better not pull that stunt with me. Did you have insurance when you got your first unit? If so I'd report it to the insurance company besides tying someone up on the phone at Phillips and make them explain how what they did is acceptable! Since they record the calls, I'd keep asking for a supervisor until they offer to send you a new unit. That's what I'll be doing. I doubt Medicare would be to thrilled to know how this equipment provider is treating Medicare patients. Medicare can refuse to pay for their equipment and investigate all of their deliveries that go to Medicare patients.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't edit my post, but my husband thinks the bag was not used. He thinks the perforations at the top are from the bag being pulled of a roll and that what I took to be dirt on the machine is residue from a long sticker being removed. I don't know, but I am not happy.

My HMO paid for my old machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2022, 07:20 PM)sleepy_one Wrote: My HMO paid for my old machine.

Your complaints should be to your HMO. 

I would not accept wat is clearly a used machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I received a DS2 Auto that appeared brand new despite the fact I had a DS1 fixed pressure.  Probably had to do with them getting the Rx settings for what I now use - Resmed AS11 Autoset - that specifies a range of pressure instead of a single one.

I also remember filling out a form for legal reasons with my DS1 serial number so I can retain it as possible evidence in case I take part in a lawsuit if that foam of theirs causes me chronic health issues.

Besides, the motor -- which I doubt is cheap to replace -- seemed to be going, it's rather filthy, so I doubt they are refurbing machines that have over 7000 hours of runtime anyway.  More seem to be getting brand new DS2 units anyway.  Besides, if I send the only possible evidence I have back to  the lion's den the refurbishment - if they're even doing that anymore for DS1's over 5 years old - would ensure destruction of said POSSIBLE evidence. 

I plugged in the DS2 Auto and sure enough it had the Rx settings of my ResMed AS11.  I first put it in airplane mode to ensure it won't 'call home' tested it enough to power on and make sure the blower motor was functional before packing it in longterm storage as a back-up device in the event my ResMed fails and needs replacing.   It included no SD card but did have an SD card slot in a rather hard-to-find place - behind the humidifier. So Philips, like ResMed opted to place less of an emphasis on SD cards as being a necessity, I hope that doesn't mean the nest gen ResMed's do away with the SD slot entirrely.

Of course, I'll never use the recalled DS1 unit and have even kept the blackened filter in it alone without removing it -- thus treating it as evidence and touching it as little as possible.

I also bagged up all of the old tubings for my DS1 as possible evidence in case legal investigators -- if it comes to that -- need additional evidence in case the vaporized or whatever carcinogenic particles are found in the 5.5 years of tubes I used the DS1 for.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know way back when I registered mine that they said they hoped to have all the recalls
handeled in a year. But I believe that year mark was up about 3 months ago are there any
estiments when all the recalls will be finished.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS EST. COMPLETION DATE
(09-27-2022, 01:02 PM)E.W. Wrote: are there any estiments when all the recalls will be finished.

Philips went from "1 year", to "end of 2022", to now carrying over "into 2023" because of "supply chain issues".  There have been no penalties (so far) imposed upon them for continually missing their recall targets.

On the position side, Philips began contacting more non-standard (for Philips) recall registrants who were previously "off the radar" in Philips' warranty database - purchasing from non-traditional DMEs, purchased used devices, own older (non-Dreamstation) devices, no DreamMapper updates, etc.  The bad news is that there are often extra steps imposed by Philips for this group that will further delay receving their replacement, there was significant personal data being requested by Philips and Philips contractors (DOB, doctor's office, providers, etc.), and possibly fees from doctors to provide past and present prescriptions.
Post Reply Post Reply
We received an email from Philips yesterday (after all this time) saying that they need to receive a copy of Mizz Cracker's prescription, and her the doctors name that issued it before they can go further with our request for either a replacement or repair of her unit.  So being that she never has had a 'script, and never done any sleep studies, it seems precludes us from ever receiving a dime back of the cost we paid for her Philips Dream Station or a replacement.  It had only been in use for a few months when the machine was recalled.  It was a replacement for the first CPAP she had, also a Philips machine. 

We long ago replaced her unit with a Resmed, which in many ways has been more effective, and has delivered even better average numbers by far, than the Philips ever did. 

I won't even try to give away, let alone sell the (modified) Philips machine, but instead it will be sent to a landfill, where it belongs.

Thanks to the board, and all the fine folks so ready to help, we have managed quite well to get the OSA she suffers from well under control.

I think it should go without saying, that there will never be anything remotely connected to Philips, bought and brought into our house EVER! But WTH, I said it anyway!

Best, FLc
If It Weren't For 'Flashbacks', I'd Have No Memory At All
Post Reply Post Reply
On their status page, mine offered me… wait for it…. A choice of $50 or a replacement machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Received this email today:

Philips Respironics System One, 60 Series Remediation

We’re reaching out because you registered a System One, 60 Series CPAP and BiPAP devices in response to the Philips Respironics voluntary recall of CPAP, BiPAP and mechanical ventilator devices.

One of the more complex aspects of the recall has been creating remediation options for older devices, such as the System One. These devices are past their warranty and useful life, which is typically 5 years. In the US, we had already stopped manufacturing the System One, 60 series devices prior to the voluntary recall given that they were discontinued in 2017.

Because these units are no longer part of our supply chain, it has created unique challenges in inventory, sourcing the parts needed for repair and remotely extracting the prescription device settings needed to supply a replacement device. For all of these reasons, we have been working to find alternative remediation options for System One patients.  

We cannot offer System One patients a new or repaired version of their current product. We understand this may be frustrating, which is why we’re providing the following two options.  

You must select one of the following two options, there is no default option and in the absence of your selection, no action can be taken. Please sign into the Patient Portal to select your preference:

OPTION 1 - Financial payment for return of affected units: Removing affected products from use is an important part of our remediation program. We also know many patients have waited for some time for a solution. Therefore, we are offering financial payments to patients of $50 per System One, 60 Series device returned to us. The payment that we are offering is to help ensure affected units are no longer in use. It will be paid via check when we receive your System One, 60 Series device.   If your mailing address has changed since you have registered your device, or you would like to make your election over the phone, please call 877-907-7508.  Please note return instructions will be included in the Patient Portal once you select this option.

OPTION 2 - Continue remediation pathway to receive a replacement device: You will need to provide a current prescription. You may also have the option to provide additional information that will help us prioritize delivery based on need. If you elect to remain in the remediation pathway, you must make the selection in the Patient Portal, which will trigger a Philips Respironics team member to call you about obtaining your prescription through your doctor. Calls for patients without prescriptions is ongoing and is expected to last through the completion of the voluntary recall. If your shipping address has changed since you have registered your device, or you would like to make your election over the phone, please call 877-907-7508.

Regardless of which option you select, we encourage you to consult with your physician about options for a new device to ensure continuity of care.  Since your physician knows your medical history, they are most qualified to discuss options for therapy.  You may also consider checking with your insurance provider whether you are eligible for reimbursement for a new device.  Most insurance plans provide reimbursement every five years.

If you have any questions, please call us at 877-907-7508.

Thank you for your continued patience and trust.

Our service providers are bound by the same high standards of data protection that we as Philips adhere to. We would like to emphasize that at Philips we have the highest regard for your privacy. View our privacy policy.

Copyright © 2022 Philips Respironics, All rights reserved.

Our address is:
Amstelplein 2, 1096 BC, Amsterdam, Netherlands

If you do not wish to receive future emails, click here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,972 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 580 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 821 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,380 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,772 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.