Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I also received that same email today. I selected Option 2, continue "remediation pathway" to receive a replacement device. Option 1, take $50 and go away, is insulting IMO. While I expect more legal mumbo-jumbo in the future, and really DON'T expect to ever receive a replacement offer (at least without me picking up a substantial portion of the cost, because they deem my System One "past its useful life"), at this point I feel like I need to just play their game and see how it plays out. I've replaced my machine (paid out of pocket) a year ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS SYSTEM ONE RECALL FINANCIAL OFFER
A relative of mine, also a Recall registrant with an older system, just received their Philips offer as an exchange for their faulty carcinogenic component use for the past 8 years or so:

Quote:Because these units are no longer part of our supply chain, it has created unique challenges in inventory, sourcing the parts needed for repair and remotely extracting the prescription device settings needed to supply a replacement device. For all of these reasons, we have been working to find alternative remediation options for System One patients.  

We cannot offer System One patients a new or repaired version of their current product. We understand this may be frustrating, which is why we’re providing the following two options.  

OPTION 1 - Financial payment for return of affected units: Removing affected products from use is an important part of our remediation program. We also know many patients have waited for some time for a solution. Therefore, we are offering financial payments to patients of $25 per System One...

OPTION 2 - Continue remediation pathway to receive a replacement device: You will need to provide a current prescription. You may also have the option to provide additional information that will help us prioritize delivery based on need. If you elect to remain in the remediation pathway, you must make the selection in the Patient Portal, which will trigger a Philips Respironics team member to call you about obtaining your prescription through your doctor. Calls for patients without prescriptions is ongoing and is expected to last through the completion of the voluntary recall.

$25 is a good deal indeed for Philips, and Philips stock owners.  The shipping cost alone (one way, without returns) for a non-carcinogenic refurbished device would likely cost Philips more than $25.  I suggested to my relative that they should do everything to remind Philips that the cost to the potentially compromised personal health of those requiring ventilation assistance, as a result of Philips long-standing faulty component, was worth more than $25.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man, reading some of the FB posts about the System 50/60 emails makes me worry about whether use of a CPAP affects someone's intelligence...

Just kidding, sort of, but the number of people who are suddenly claiming that "Philips offered me only $50/25 and no replacement" is pretty alarming.

It's as if they read the first option and stopped there...
Post Reply Post Reply
I too got an email from Philips, offering $25 for my PRS1 450 that I’d been using up to the time I discovered the recall and registered. It has decaying foam. I’m not going to send back the evidence, before knowing if I have long-term health issues from the machine.

And I would not trust a replacement device from Philips.

-SleepyCPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
I have three (3) machines registered in the recall...a System One, a DS1, and a DSGo. There has been very little movement on any news for ANY of the three until this week.

In the span of two days I got an email from Philips about the System One recall status (get the money or get a replacement) and the next day I got an email asking for me to make sure that I have DreamMapper updated with my latest stats so that Philips can get my updated prescription to replace a machine. The serial number referenced there is for my DS1. I also have the option to contact Philips with my doctor's contact info...which I will likely do also.

I'm happy that there finally seems to be some traction, but not expecting anything soon.

As far as the DSGo...who knows?!
Post Reply Post Reply
If I had an old machine, like more than double-time out of warranty and recommended service life, I'd be thinking that there's no way Philips is going to cough up a new one.
So, it's $25/50 and send back your 'evidence' (I use quotes because it would be easy for lawyers to say its way past it's lifetime anyhow) that probably would have no instrumental use in a class action anyhow. No, you're not going to sue Philips directly.. get real. (no offense, said in a nice way).
My DS was only about 2 yrs use and shedding foam visibly. I may have kept the airbox.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a user on Reddit. FYI

Quote:After much frustration with the recall and going back and forth with my DME provider, in desperation I called my insurance provider (Aetna) and they told me that with a prescription they would cover a NEW CPAP machine as long as it wasn’t from Phillips.. So now I’m rocking a new AirSense machine that is SO much better, with very little OOP cost to me. I guess insurers are getting tired of Phillips’ BS also. Worth a try?
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't read through the 235 messages in this thread, but does anyone know if there is safe replacement foam available for the PRS1? I realize the machine will have to be taken apart to replace the foam, but I plan on possibly taking it apart anyway to clean the impeller blades and the rest of the air pathway.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster. Your post helps. I need to be more careful.

The filters are small; i forget to change mine. Two things can happen.

Blowby if the filter isn't place in the holder properly., and dirty air flow around the filter to the fan blades, little duct and hoses and nostrils..

Age--I need to check the back of the filter and make sure it's ok. If it's left in too long the filter gets overloaded, and fine fine dirt is released on the back side of the filter. (that covers the fan blades and the little "ducts" that carry the air too our hoses and nostrils.)

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
HME News

PHILIPS PREVIEWS Q3 PERFORMANCE  

AMSTERDAM – Philips expects to record a EUR 1.3 billion non-cash charge in the third quarter for the impairment of goodwill of its Sleep & Respiratory Care business due to revisions to the financial forecast of the business. 

The company says the drivers for the revised forecast include current assumptions regarding the estimated impact of the proposed consent decree and changes to the pre-tax discount rate. 

This amount is equal to roughly 1.26 billion US.

Philips previews Q3 performance   | HME News
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,966 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,220 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 577 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 818 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,371 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,772 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.