Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(02-03-2023, 07:57 AM)SleeplessinPgh Wrote: My question is: what else did they do before sending out this used machine as part of the recall?  

This might help. It's from the Philips Recall FAQ:

Can I trust the new foam? How are you removing the old foam safely?

• We know how important it is to feel confident that your therapy device is safe to use. While recalled devices contained a polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam component, the sound abatement foam in all new and remediated devices is a silicone foam*. When we refurbish the affected devices with a new blower and air pathway, we also clean and disinfect them.

• This foam is cleared for use by the FDA in the DreamStation 2 CPAP device and authorized as part of our remediation.

• When we refurbish the affected devices with a new blower and air pathway, we also clean and disinfect them.  Our trained service professionals can make sure that the affected foam is completely and safely removed, and that the new silicone foam is inserted correctly.

• If you are a patient who has been affected by this recall, please do not try to remove the foam from your device. This could affect the prescribed therapy and may void the warranty.
What happens when Philips receives recalled Dreamstation devices?
  • As soon as we receive the device, we replace the sound abatement foam and associated air pathway blower with brand new parts. This replacement reinstates the two-year warranty. 
  • We then thoroughly clean and decontaminate the device, update the firmware, test, and repackage it with a “recertified” sticker to show that it is ready for use. As part of our commitment to quality and patient safety, Philips is dedicated to removing product containing the affected sound abatement foam from the market. By returning your original device, you can help to make sure that it can be repaired for future use by another patient. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2023, 01:35 PM)chasmm Wrote: This might help. It's from the Philips Recall FAQ:

As soon as we receive the device, we replace the sound abatement foam and associated air pathway blower with brand new parts. This replacement reinstates the two-year warranty. 

Thanks, chasmm.  That link is very helpful.  As you pointed out, it answers the question about the warranty.

Sounds like the circuit board(s) and motor are probably original.  I ran the "check performance" on the machine, and it appears to be fine.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the DS2 apparent remote control via built-in cell module, like automated(?) software update, at the initial setup from "virgin" state, would it be wise to set an access code of your own?

I wonder if, and how, the system separates user-level stuff and core?
Post Reply Post Reply
FedEx delivered a new DS2 today. Looks like a nice replacement for my System One, but my A10 will remain my main machine. Sure glad I didn't fall for the one time offer of $25 for my old machine. Nice to have a separate travel/backup CPAP again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just received my DS1 replacement yesterday, it has the white foam in the air chamber, I tried it last night (it also has 6000 machine hours)...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/5266...8283_o.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
Machine 1 of 3 has been replaced.

My Dreamstation 1, purchased in February 2019, was replaced with a reconditioned DS1 head unit yesterday (2023-02-04). The reconditioned machine has ~7500 machine hours, and was manufactured on 2019-12-13.

I'm expecting delivery of another replacement machine tomorrow for my System One. 

Still in the land of "I don't know" is the replacement for the Dreamstation Go.

All three (3) machines were registered on the day the recall opened (2021-06-17). About 2-3 weeks ago I opted for the "give me an APAP" choice.

Based on what I've seen online on various forums and social media, it seems that many machines arrived in people's hands this past week. I suspect that many, like me, took advantage of the "give me an APAP" option, which makes Philips's job much easier.

I've seen it suggested, and I agree, that it would have been a lot more efficient AND effective to do that from the start...
Post Reply Post Reply
I received my “Recertified” Dreamstation a couple of days ago.  It has a 2018 manufacture date.  Reading one of the above posts, Phillips is supposed to have replaced the foam and the blower motor.

I was surprised to receive a recertified unit.  My understanding was that new Dreamstation 2’s were to be the replacements.  Evidently that changed sometime during the one-plus year wait.

My original Dreamstation was manufactured in October of 2020. I purchased it one-month prior to the recall.  As I have never used UV or Ozone to clean it, I chose to continue to use it, monitoring for any particulate.  I’ve never noticed any off-gassing and really have never had any concerns about that.  Subsequent testing by Phillips seems to confirm this.

I don’t plan on sending my original Dreamstation to Phillips.  I actually purchased it (not the insurance company) and feel no obligation to give it up.

There’s just something about using a CPAP that has been “cleaned and recertified” that doesn’t appeal to me.  I would never purchase a recertified or remanufactured CPAP.  I don’t plan to begin using one now.

Overall, this has been a less than satisfactory experience.  I’ve used Phillips CPAPs since 2008.  Sounds like it’s time to make a change to a new brand for my next purchase.

Pardon my riff - I feel better now.   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Received a replacement DS1 on February 1, a recertified unit.  It has over 8,000 machine hours and makes a loud wheezing on inhale and a low moan on exhale.  Called the Philips recall support team and spoke to a very nice agent who noted that I tried troubleshooting, but nothing worked. Another replacement device will be sent to me.  Got my fingers crossed.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2023, 08:52 AM)SleeplessinPgh Wrote: Received a replacement DS1 on February 1, a recertified unit.  It has over 8,000 machine hours and makes a loud wheezing on inhale and a low moan on exhale.  Called the Philips recall support team and spoke to a very nice agent who noted that I tried troubleshooting, but nothing worked. Another replacement device will be sent to me.  Got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for this comment. It's a great reminder that when we receive these replacement devices, we should try them out, especially if they're recertified, (unless you're looking to resell them, I guess?) to make sure that they work properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:38 PM)chasmm Wrote: Thanks for this comment. It's a great reminder that when we receive these replacement devices, we should try them out, especially if they're recertified, (unless you're looking to resell them, I guess?) to make sure that they work properly.

I was planning on keeping it as a backup, so I'm very glad I checked it out now instead of waiting till I actually need it.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,993 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,223 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,078 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 599 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 821 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,382 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,777 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.