Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
They probably won't care too much in the near future. Besides, the reality is their actual customers called Rotech, Apria, Lincare will still buy these.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2021, 11:33 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: They probably won't care too much in the near future. Besides, the reality is their actual customers called Rotech, Apria, Lincare will still buy these.

I dunno -- America is a pretty litigious society. I can easily see patients suing their DME. If I were a DME I wouldn't want the risk!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well OK, I see your point. However the DMEs aren't always known for being the brightest bulbs in the box. We the patient are expected to be uninformed and stupid, the blind sheeple following Doctors and DME orders. baa
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, I signed up, not expecting anything just curious to see what comes from it. 

I have to make another comment. I keep getting emails from 2 medical supply distributors, both have sales going on recalled Philips products and cleaning machines that both Resmed and Philips have warned us not to use. I think it was said on an earlier thread that we are on our own and have to look out for ourselves. It sure looks that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2021, 07:42 PM)buddy0329 Wrote: Is there a sense that the encryption you reference above is an insurmountable obstacle for the development team?

It will ultimately probably be only a speed bump. We just can’t give a time estimate for when it will be overcome.

I have a vested interest in making it work because I’m a complicated case, and my doctor reviews the flow data uploaded by my machine. He uses PR machines specifically because they upload that high-resolution data to the cloud and ResMed doesn’t.

So in my mind, that’s the sole feature where PR is superior (along with compact SD card data, which is probably related). But most people don’t need or use that feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
In regards to the Canadian Law Firm, this was their response:

We acknowledge receipt of your consultation request and thank you for considering Thomson Rogers. Unfortunately, this is not a matter that we can assist you with as we are based in Ontario, Canada.

We suggest you contact the American law firm, Bronstein, Gewirtz & Grossman, at 212-697-6484 or visit:  https://www.bgandg.com/cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2021, 09:15 AM)sawinglogz Wrote: I have a vested interest in making it work because I’m a complicated case, and my doctor reviews the flow data uploaded by my machine. He uses PR machines specifically because they upload that high-resolution data to the cloud and ResMed doesn’t.

So in my mind, that’s the sole feature where PR is superior (along with compact SD card data, which is probably related). But most people don’t need or use that feature.

I would say that it's your doctor who is the outlier here. Many sleep apnea patients need someone to pay attention to their data, but we all know just how rare your doctor is! For the rest of us none of the professionals who are being paid to treat us are going to look at our data -- I am abundantly aware of the fact that if I don't look at my data then no one is going to look at my data.

Is it possible that PR is simply unaware that when they oh so carefully curate and protect this data, that virtually the only people who are willing to look at it are the patients -- the exact people that they are "protecting" the data from!

Or is it really the case that they know that they are hiding the data from the only people who will look at it, and they are deliberately doing this because they have something to hide?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2021, 08:54 AM)btreger Wrote: Thanks for the info, I signed up, not expecting anything just curious to see what comes from it. 

I have to make another comment. I keep getting emails from 2 medical supply distributors, both have sales going on recalled Philips products and cleaning machines that both Resmed and Philips have warned us not to use. I think it was said on an earlier thread that we are on our own and have to look out for ourselves. It sure looks that way.

DMEs that are continuing to sell recalled defective Philips Systems seem very unusual, if earlier comments from Philips are indeed truthful.

Philips has stated that the first phase of the company's response to the problematic foam in recalled machines was to have all DMEs with any existing inventory of NEW Philips Systems (all Philips systems, except DreamStation 2) return them to Philips.  Those systems would be "repaired" first and serve as an initial inventory float for the first phase of recalled end-user system returns.

It's likely that those DME/suppliers who are continuing to sell recalled Philips systems (anything other that DreamStation 2) are unable to be fairly compensated (either monetarily, with a credit, or with new inventory) for those particular NEW Philips recalled products in their inventory.  We can speculate as to the reasons why that may be so:

- that supplier is no longer an "official" Philips authorized supplier, or never was, or doesn't wish to be in the future; and therefore can't be correctly compensated by Philips for their NEW recalled system return items

- they did not purchase the recalled NEW system directly from Philips but acquired it through another means (another company, etc.)

- perhaps these recalled NEW systems were acquired by the DME from the closeout inventory of another DME (or inventoried at another organization such as a sleep center, hospital, etc.)

- etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2021, 10:49 AM)btreger Wrote: In regards to the Canadian Law Firm, this was their response:

We acknowledge receipt of your consultation request and thank you for considering Thomson Rogers. Unfortunately, this is not a matter that we can assist you with as we are based in Ontario, Canada.

That makes sense. And what about cross-border class action lawsuits filed by foreign residents in U.S. courts?

As several members of this Forum are residents of countries outside the United States, and are owners of PAP machines affected by the foam outgassing issue and device recall, I was curious, as a non-attorney, to find out if they might be able to join a U.S. class action lawsuit against an international company that has operations in the United States. I found an excellent article that discusses this very question in easy-to-understand lay language.

https://www.classaction.org/blog/can-i-j...ted-states

The bottom line, according to the author is that, while no statute exists restricting a foreign person from joining a U.S. class action suit, it is highly unlikely that the courts would allow these ex-U.S. litigants to remain part of the lawsuit. The author clearly explains the reasons for this in the article.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2021, 11:26 AM)Guilhermedico Wrote: ...

As several members of this Forum are residents of countries outside the United States, and are owners of PAP machines affected by the foam outgassing issue and device recall, I was curious, as a non-attorney, to find out if they might be able to join a U.S. class action lawsuit against an international company that has operations in the United States. I found an excellent article that discusses this very question in easy-to-understand lay language.

As the Philips "official" recall was only initiated by Philips on June 14th, there are an expanding number of U.S. law firms who are in the "investigating" stage and seeking information from Philips recalled device end-users (and from potential Philips company "whistle blowers").  In the weeks to come, it's likely that the most dominant firm (perhaps in each country) will emerge as the primary destination for recalled Philips system users.  Interestingly, Philips initially said the recall, at that time was only for U.S. customers.  That obviously quickly changed as the Philips recall program has now expanded internationally to countries such as Canada, India, etc.

Indeed, at the moment, the most dominant law firm for U.S. end-users that are impacted by the Philips systems recall, appears to be Bronstein, Gewirtz & Grossman.

Here's some insight from one legal information site:

Quote:June 21, 2021
Philips Recalls Ventilators and Sleep Apnea Devices: The Potential for Litigation
Litigation Monitor News

Without much information, thus far, on the extent of patient injuries, the actual impact of these product defects is still unclear. But with any defective medical device that may cause cancer and respiratory issues, the likelihood of litigation is high.  Currently, there are no active lawsuits. Although, a number of law firms and consumer watch groups are reaching out to impacted patients to determine if they’re entitled to compensation. With nearly four million devices at issue, it is only a matter of time before a lawsuit is filed.

Interestingly, this recall comes as Philips has recently shifted its focus entirely to medical devices and other healthcare products. The company sold off its domestic appliances business earlier this year. This occurred after it experienced a huge spike in production during the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic. Deeming itself “a pioneer in the field of respiratory innovation,” Philips has sold a number of its products to hospitals and healthcare providers combatting COVID-19. This includes ventilators, oxygen therapy, PAP therapy, nebulizers, airway clearance, and patient monitoring software.

Overall, with nearly four million devices in question, the scope of the Philips recall has the potential to be enormous.

With all this at stake, the Philips CEO [Frans van Houten] during the Philips First Quarter 2021 financial results press conference for the investment industry media, gave their estimated US$600+ Million cost disclosure merely a few brief sentences at the end of the presentation, clearly designed to minimize any damages to Philips stock values - along with the executive management replacements in its two key departments: Diagnosis & Treatment Segment and Innovation Strategy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,845 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,212 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.