Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
(06-15-2021, 03:53 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: [quote pid='398381' dateline='1623745507']
I also have a Dreamstation with a Japanese serial number and my supplier tells me that it was imported from Japan. The serial number of my machine is 500S16. I think this Dreamstation would also be included in the affected devices, though I'll only be able to be sure once we can check for our specific serial numbers on their website. 

I know this is a major recall, but I have limited choices where I live and my machine is working well (hard to find a good machine here) so I'm inclined towards continuing using the machine until I can arrange an alternative (probably an Autoset).

I think they are all probably made in Japan.. I'm in Australia and my serial number is similar to yours.

This link shows the affected models, it is not only the Dreamstation that comes under the recall.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e...#section_2

Also have a look at the video link posted by racprops for an idea of the part causing the cancer risk in using them.
[/quote]

Right, thank you. Actually my machine says Made in USA but it also has JP along with the serial number which I guess means Japan. So I think this machine, at least, is manufactured in the US but sold in Japan. 

I did have a look at the video. I'm going to look for out any noise from the machine or bits of foam indicating foam degradation, though I guess they could be microscopic as well. Also, I think the issue of chemical gases being released by the foam, which Philips mentions, can happen even if the foam isn't degraded. At least that's what Philips seems to be saying in their statement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

Rich

(06-15-2021, 02:27 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 01:22 AM)racprops Wrote: This Utube video cover that info on the foam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto...e=youtu.be

I just watched the vid link you gave.. you can even see small specks of black in the fan housing after he has removed the fan unit. 
Unsure
Blink
Shock-2

Good to know ( you can even see small specks of black in the fan housing after he has removed the fan unit. ) as I did look for such and found none in the BiPap's fan.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: IMPORTANT NOTICE PHILIPS DREAMSTATION USERS
(06-05-2021, 09:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Bump2

Just in case you are researching what machine to buy, there are a lot of reasons to look at alternatives to Philips today.

There seems to be a question of the other makers using similur or the same foam as sound deading.

It also seems some if not all problems maybe caused by those silly systems cleaners so we may need to sue THEM...

Lucky I have NOT ever use any device to clean my systems...

Wish we knew for sure the cleaner caused these problem.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 03:48 AM)GrumpyHere Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 02:37 AM)koala1 Wrote: I could always buy Resmed myself but I want to know if it really is safe. 
As you say, they may use the same foam…

The foam in the S9 doesn't look to be in the direct air path according to the teardown thread.
You could isolate the foam or remove it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-pictures

https://m.imgur.com/a/S0ojG

The AirSense/Aircurve has a single circular piece of foam that is easily removed per YouTube teardown.

https://youtu.be/dpI0AVoCG3M

Rats I was hoping for new better info on Dreamstation...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider posted this: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid398386

On April 26, 2021, Philips provided an important update regarding proactive efforts to address identified issues with a component in certain products of our Sleep & Respiratory Care portfolio.

Philips has determined from user reports and testing that there are possible risks to users related to the sound abatement foam used in certain of Philips sleep and respiratory care devices currently in use. The risks include that the foam may degrade under certain circumstances, influenced by factors including use of unapproved cleaning methods, such as ozone*, and certain environmental conditions involving high humidity and temperature. Philips’ recently launched next-generation CPAP platform, DreamStation 2 is not affected.

To date, we have not received reports of serious patient harm related to this issue.
Philips takes this matter very seriously, and is working to address this issue for our customers and patients who rely on our sleep and respiratory care solutions.

* Potential Risks Associated With The Use of Ozone and Ultraviolet (UV) Light Products for Cleaning CPAP Machines and Accessories: FDA Safety Communication

What devices are impacted?

Sleep Products

DreamStation CPAP
DreamStation BiPAP
DreamStation ASV
DreamStation Go CPAP
DreamStation Go APAP
OmniLab Advanced Plus(sleep lab) CPAP
50 Series CPAP
50 Series ASV
60 Series CPAP
60 Series ASV
Dorma 400, Dorma 500, & REMStar SE Auto CPAP (value line)

Respiratory Products

DreamStation AVAPS/ST
C Series AVAPS/ST
A 40/30
Trilogy 100
Trilogy 200
V30 Auto (hospital use)
E30 (hospital use)

I find it VERY interesting " The risks include that the foam may degrade under certain circumstances, influenced by factors including use of unapproved cleaning methods, such as ozone*, and certain environmental conditions involving high humidity and temperature. Philips’ recently launched next-generation CPAP platform, DreamStation 2 is not affected."

So those silly cleaning systems might be the caused...lucky I never have fallen for this devices so my systems MIGHT be clear of problems, but at this point we don't know for sure.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
So far I have slept some total of 3.26:28 hours on my modified Dreamstation BiPap Machine.

I had some kind of reaction within the first real sleep where I had 1.16 Clearair, 2.91 obstructive and 1.16 hypopneas, then the rest of the sleep was great.

Note running on my Dreamstation ASV system the last couple of nights my reports have been GREAT (Cute Tony the Tiger's voice) on the 13th my report was .25 for only hypopnea out of 8.05:01 sleep, and the day before 12th was only .12 again only hypopnea out of 8.08:47 sleep.

I am not bragging just showing how well my Dreamstation ASV has been working for me...Before switching to a modified BiPap.

Wish I could post picture to show this reaction.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 01:26 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 12:43 AM)koala1 Wrote: I’ve been talking to my person in charge from Phillips Japan.

Recall is decided only in US, other countries are still under consideration.
They don’t offer Dream Station 2 in Japan and don’t know if they will ever been. Again nothing is decided.

Wonder what should I do now

It sucks that it is only considered a major issue in the USA, while the rest of the world gets a "we don't care about the rest of you because we know we can tie you up in offshore legal red tape" reaction from Philips Respironics.

The other question is what did the other brands use in their machines?

It would be likely they also used the same materials for the similar components in their machines, just like all car manufacturers used asbestos in brake pads / brake shoes and clutches decades ago before it was eventually banned. 
Dont-know

I have contacted both Phillips and Resmed, and found both companies total ass holes in their treatment to us customers....

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I opened my Dreamstation ASV machine and checked the fan and air duct system for any foam showing and found NOTHING…

And saw that the ASV fan and housing is even larger than the same setup in my BiPap…and has MORE foam padding.

I really do not want to cut this housing open to remove the foam…

This unit was rebuilt for me so now the next question is: is any part of these machine made in the USA ??

At least it seems these are not made in China (Game over man, we are toast..all doomed…) But in Japan??

gadgemaniah posted: “I also have a Dreamstation with a Japanese serial number and my supplier tells me that it was imported from Japan.”

I think we can figure all these machines and replacement parts are made in one factory, but I am praying they are not…but I do not think these are in such large demand to be more than one producer.

Really am up set we cannot know what machines are dangerous to use and which are safe.

Man oh man is there is a class action suit sign me up even though we little people rarely get much in payments all going to the law firm I think these companies NEED to PAY.

Consider that the Main Parts of a 950/960 ASV machine, the mother board and the Fan can/has only cost $250.00 for a rebuilt machine….I had two machines rebuilt by two repair companies a 950 and a 960 done and both ONLY cost me $250.00 each, that leaves the plastic case and plastic fan housing and some other small parts, I would think all the rest of these machines don’t cost more than $250.00, and I have seen nearly as complex a product made for MUCH less, where these brand new cost over $3000.00….

HELL OF A MARKUP don’t you think???

I think they have been saving up just for such a case.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know of one that will fit a Dreamstation with a heated tube?
The tube connects differently into the device.
I looked at connecting the filter at the other end...between tne mask and the tube but it does not seem to fit?

Sorry this comment was for Gideon regarding bacterial filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 01:22 AM)racprops Wrote: Well I may be fooling my self but it seemed like my Dreamstation BiPap was losing pressure.

So I opened it to check on my duct tape seals. They look AOK.

I have been on Phillips systems for about 8 years, first a Open box System One 950 ASV machine that acted up within the first two years and was replaced with a 960 ASV that i used for about 3 years where it started acting up.

At this point I was on Medicare and access so I asked for a new machine...and was made to submit to a couple sleep studies where they said I only needed a CPAP/APAP, not feeling all that good about Phillips after two machine failures I tried a Resmed machine and after a week of hating it asked to switch to a Phillips and was given a Dreamstation APAP, which was better but I was still unhappy.

Two to three years of problem I got a Fitbit and saw I was not getting good REM or Deep sleep due to the poor response of the APAP machine so I got out my old 960 ASV and proved I needed it to get normal sleep cycles.

At this point I was unable to get Medicare or access to buy a ASV machine so I found a rebuilt 950 for $250.00 and switched to it and then had the 960 also rebuilt for $250.00. These rebuilds get new mother boards and fans.

I then used the 950 for a year or two when it started acting up and found Phillips will no longer repair my 950. And I was warned the 960 will soon be unrebuildable as well.

I then found a company that was willing to rebuild my Dreamstation APAP as a Dreamstation ASV, for about 3x the old rebuild price but that was 1/2 the cost of a good used machine.

Sadly the part that is the cause of all the fuss is the black foam used as sound deading in the housing around the fan.

This Utube video cover that info on the foam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto...e=youtu.be

So I took apart my back up Dreamstation BiPap machine and found this housing is a sealed unit so I cut flaps into the two sections and pulled the foam out using hemostats. And resealed the cuts with duct tape.

This seems a simple repair, all Phillips needs to do is replace these housings with good new units with new foam or no form and perhaps a little better sound baffling to lower the noise.

Personally I will want no foam...after all this stuff has been in as far as I can tell every system they made for the past 10+ years, and they JUST found out it might be bad for people!!!??

I do not want to wait another 10 years to be told then "OPPs guess the new foam is also bad...."

So no foam for me thank you I will learn to live with a little noise.

Well wish me luck as I am going to bed with my modified system.  

First SC Card report of 12 Minutes looked OK...will see what happens in my first sleep cycle.

Good night.

Rich
Good info but I am not sure duct tape is the ideal material to use in your machine.   Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,831 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,056 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.