Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
I'm still in a state of discombobulation. I don't want to try to fix mine.
Could I take it to a DME technician, if there is such a thing, and get it done?

When this first hit 2 weeks ago, I was upset, went to my sleep doc in a panic, even had a chest x-ray done. He knew I was at my wit's end, so he ordered a Resmed bibap immediately. My DME is supposed to call me when it comes - no word yet, and I don't expect I'll get it any time soon, since they are swamped with replacement requests.

I'm using my old system one bipap 750 P, but it is very noisy, and about 8 years old that I got as a backup.

I'm thinking of getting a Resmed airsense 10 as a backup for when (probably be a few months or so) mine comes. (I'll need one anyway for when I get my new machine)

So where can I look? I'll try craigslist, or Facebook marketplace, or somewhere else. I might even try DME places in my state, even if I have to drive a ways.
As long as it has fairly low hours, and was used by a non-smoker, I should be able to find one if I'm patient. I'm finished with Philips for good.

Thoughts?
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
As for the adhesive, first, we are taking very small cuts, the Dremel cutting tool is only .035 thick. A business card is about .014 thick so just a little thicker than two business cards.

Then the cuts are only three per opening. Approx 1 inch two times plus a 3/4 cut. There are two of these. The section that is cut is just bent back to allow reaching in and pulling the foam out.

Then these flaps are returned to their original place. There are very small slots left in the walls.

I used duct take to close these flaps. There is VERY little exposure to the adhesive on the outside of the slots. There is NO air pulled through the tape so the no air flow. The ONLY possibility is little air exposure to the adhesive by the air flowing PASS these slots and then it has to reach through the slots to even possibly draw any gasses from them.

So I thought long and hard and figured that the risk of harm from ALL that form VS the tiniest exposure to the adhesive though the tiny slots are far, far better than the foam.

I have been using my deformed system since two Tuesdays ago and it is working great and reporting my normal amounts of ATIs. All systems are go.

I have also tested epoxy and it does not stick to this plastic. I did use a thick superglue on my other chamber and left it to air out for three days and use my air hose to flush it many times per day.

There is totally no smell in it NOR my main chamber inside my ASV. And I can smell spoiling milk three days before my wife can.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
"packtheknife

So where can I look? I'll try craigslist, or Facebook marketplace, or somewhere else. I might even try DME places in my state, even if I have to drive a ways.
As long as it has fairly low hours, and was used by a non-smoker, I should be able to find one if I'm patient. I'm finished with Philips for good."

There are a number of GOOD safe resellers of used machines. Prices are much less than retail.

One of the best is Secondwind CPAP, there you can (on a good day) buy an open box unused machine, or lightly used machine.

I believe they do clean the used machines. They also have a warranty.

I would search (as I have done) for used sleep machines and find the best deal.

Buying off Craigslist or market place is really buying a pig in a poke, 100% risk. If you do, you really need to power it up and know how to check each machine's run hours.

The main manufactures say 20,000 hours is the max. A year's worth of use at 8 hours is just under 3000.

Good luck

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked Supplier #2 and they have used machines. They do cost more now. (Supply and demand). I have bought 2 from them, one less than 1 week and 1 less 1 month). They are an excellent company.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for recall info. I started Medicare 24 month rental in April & not sure what to do renting one of the last old models. Do you know when the new DreamStation bipap model came out on the market & if or when they stopped selling the old models? Maybe no recall if they can modify old models in stock with large inventory. Do you know what other changes the new models have? Prefer not getting last old model. Any suggestions for newbie? Thanks for this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
This may help, there are a couple of reviews of the newer machines by both Phillips and Resmed

ResMeds new machine review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gLsiEIiFEg

The New Dreamstation II here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnhbL098Tao

I will for special reasons will be staying with the current models of both systems, which in my case has to be ASV machines...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Response;

A message from ResMed's CEO:
At ResMed, the leading global manufacturer in sleep apnea therapy, we know that ongoing treatment is critical to the health and wellbeing of many millions of people around the world. In light of Philips’ recent recall and field safety notices for many of its sleep and respiratory care products, I want to reassure our patients, providers, physicians, and communities that ResMed devices are safe to use and are not subject to Philips’ recall. ResMed devices use a different material than what Philips uses in their recalled machines. Patient safety is always our ResMed team’s top priority.
We rigorously test our devices against applicable standards before we launch a new product. We reevaluate our testing when other device makers raise concerns. The information we’ve reviewed from Philips’ recall of its devices and our detailed analysis of our products’ test results confirm that ResMed devices are safe to use.

Other info;

ResMed devices use two foam materials that are different than the foam material Philips says are in its recalled machinesResMed devices use polyETHER-urethane or silicone foams for sound abatement; Philips has said it uses PolyESTER-based polyurethane for sound abatement.

That said, as this goes on, it seems it is getting harder and harder to distinguish between safe and not safe. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.
Jay
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 09:31 PM)S.Thompson Wrote: Yesterday, when I called for a copy of my script to see about self purchasing another to use due to effects of going without, I was now told it was okay to restart use with some adjustments. 1) Turn off heat plate so only receive passive cold humidity now and 2) Stop using any cleaners other than soap & water. 

I asked if they weren't concerned about the VOC's off gassing from the foam and was told no. Additionally I was told that the recall was 'voluntary' with the implication being that that made it not a dangerous or serious issue.

SMH. So cold humidity makes it all better people! And it wasn't really scary after all. Happy days are here again!
I really hate to bring anyone down BUT the hot plate for the humidifier is no way near the foam housing and is on the end of the air path. It is like to caboose on the end of the train and the fan is like the Locomotive.
Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
videomagician [Image: buddy_online.png]

Two problems:

A) You will be exposed to more of the tapes adhesive.

B)  Medical tape is designed to allow air through it to breathe, so it will allow air to be drawn through it and this both causes lack of correct pressure and to pull the adhesive from the tape.

I considered medical tape and learned it will not work.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,813 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,196 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.