Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: Phillips has recalled their CPAPs and advises patients to discontinue use
This massive of a recall is unprecedented. I can only conclude that their internal data indicates a significant risk, both to your physical health and to PR's financial health from legal actions against them in addition to anticipating a forced recall from the various governments of the world..

Actions

1 get a new machine, either via the recall or otherwise,,,,
2. Stopgap until you can get a new machine, use an online antibacterial filter to stop particles from going into your lungs. Note this will do nothing to stop the gasses they talked about.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Worldwide Callback of DreamStation 1
(06-14-2021, 05:39 AM)GerardDirks Wrote: If I will go further with CPAP, what is the best machine available (comfort, operation, effect). I suppose, because of this Callback of Philips, I will have a right to switch the machine to another brand?

Regards
Gérard

The best machine is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for her. Be aware their are several Airsense 10 models. The autoset is the one you should get. We have found that it provides better therapy than the dreamstation
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dang, I'm going on one year with my DreamStation...this sucks! I have noticed that my seasonal allergies this year have been the worst ever...had a sinus infection in April. I emailed my CPAP provider and she's checking my machines serial number with Philips and asking what to do. I've lost trust in Philips and hoping to get a Resmed Airsense 10 issued. (I'd even pay for it if I have to.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing that's going to happen is that this is going to cause a world-wide shortage of not-Phillips blowers. We are going to have to fight over who's going to get the new Airsense 11''s, all the way down the line to people grabbing the used machines so that they will have something.

Trust is one of those things that take decades to build and is gone in an instant.
Post Reply Post Reply
For those of you who didn't read all the way down on the Phillips notice, it said:

*    This is a recall notification for the US only, and a field safety notice for the rest of the world

Not sure what a 'field safety notice' is, but it sounds like a CYA relating to US law. The rest of world is on its own.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:34 PM)pholynyk Wrote: For those of you who didn't read all the way down on the Phillips notice, it said:

*    This is a recall notification for the US only, and a field safety notice for the rest of the world

Not sure what a 'field safety notice' is, but it sounds like a CYA relating to US law. The rest of world is on its own.

Not really. Just terminology. 
FSN is pretty much recall 

FIELD SAFETY CORRECTIVE ACTION (FSCA) (Europe MEDDEV 2.12-1): An action taken by a manufacturer to reduce a risk of death or serious deterioration in the state of health associated with the use of a medical device that is already placed on the market. Such actions should be notified via a FIELD SAFETY NOTICE.

FIELD SAFETY NOTICE (FSN) (Europe MEDDEV 2.12-1): A communication to customers and/or users sent out by a manufacturer or its representative in relation to a Field Safety Corrective Action.

Per US FDA, CORRECTION means the repair, modification, adjustment, relabeling, destruction, or inspection (including patient monitoring) of a product/device without its physical removal from its point of use to some other location.

Per US FDA, REMOVAL means the physical removal of a device from its point of use to some other location for repair, modification, adjustment, relabeling, destruction, or inspection.

RECALL (US FDA): The correction or removal of a device commercially distributed for human use in the US where FDA finds that there is a reasonable probability that the device would cause serious, adverse health consequences or death. Reasonable probability means that it is more likely than not that an event will occur.
Post Reply Post Reply
US only - probably because we seem to have multitudes of attorneys that will sue at the drop of a hat.

I'm still going to call my DME tomorrow and insist that they swap the  Dreamstation I've had for the past three months with a Resmed AutoSet 10.

I think it's going to be an interesting conversation...   Thinking-about
Dammit, Jim - I'm an engineer, not a doctor!!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
(06-14-2021, 10:53 AM)cathyf Wrote: So they let users be potentially injured by this machine in the time period between when they found out about the defect and they decided to issue the recall.

And now they want us to trust that they won't lie about some potential defect that the DS2  (or aren't already lying about something that they already know about the DS2) ?!?

...I don't think so!

This is a medical device.

It's a device normally used in an environment where everyone in the room is unconscious and so can't monitor the operation for malfunctions or dangers.

Nope.

Not happening.

I am DONE with any consideration of using any PR device.
Post Reply Post Reply
Recall of Philips CPAPs
Anyone new the best site to read about the recent recall of Philips CPAPs?  I saw a Wall Street Journal article today saying they were being recalled because they've been identified as causing cancer in some users.  Very interesting to me since I've been using a Philips Dream Station for 5 years and was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 months ago.  I wonder what kind of cancer the study showed had been caused by the Philips CPAP?  Interested in any and all referrals to updated info.  I just called my doctor, who didn't seem to know about the recall.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
I think the most details are on Philips' own website. See here: https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e...src-update
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,840 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,617 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,211 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.