Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
(06-14-2021, 11:04 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I originally thought this might be a marketing ploy by Philips to get patients to upgrade to the new DreamStation 2 machines...

But the scope of this recall is so wide, affecting so many different machines, that if that was the original intent (marketing), then this Philips effort has failed miserably.

From the affected models link above, are all the System One (50 & 60 series) machines affected by this as well?

I'm running a PR System One BiPAP Auto (DS760).  So I'm wondering if this model is under recall also?

Dont-know

It looks like all System One variants are on the list.. none of the Series One are in the "not affected" list.  Sad

Philips Respironics will do the legal sidestep on this because they say their machines should be replaced at the five year mark - and will drag any litigation claims through the courts for decades in the hope that most of the claimants die before legal proceedings reach a ruling in court.  Angry
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I may be fooling my self but it seemed like my Dreamstation BiPap was losing pressure.

So I opened it to check on my duct tape seals. They look AOK.

I have been on Phillips systems for about 8 years, first a Open box System One 950 ASV machine that acted up within the first two years and was replaced with a 960 ASV that i used for about 3 years where it started acting up.

At this point I was on Medicare and access so I asked for a new machine...and was made to submit to a couple sleep studies where they said I only needed a CPAP/APAP, not feeling all that good about Phillips after two machine failures I tried a Resmed machine and after a week of hating it asked to switch to a Phillips and was given a Dreamstation APAP, which was better but I was still unhappy.

Two to three years of problem I got a Fitbit and saw I was not getting good REM or Deep sleep due to the poor response of the APAP machine so I got out my old 960 ASV and proved I needed it to get normal sleep cycles.

At this point I was unable to get Medicare or access to buy a ASV machine so I found a rebuilt 950 for $250.00 and switched to it and then had the 960 also rebuilt for $250.00. These rebuilds get new mother boards and fans.

I then used the 950 for a year or two when it started acting up and found Phillips will no longer repair my 950. And I was warned the 960 will soon be unrebuildable as well.

I then found a company that was willing to rebuild my Dreamstation APAP as a Dreamstation ASV, for about 3x the old rebuild price but that was 1/2 the cost of a good used machine.

Sadly the part that is the cause of all the fuss is the black foam used as sound deading in the housing around the fan.

This Utube video cover that info on the foam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto...e=youtu.be

So I took apart my back up Dreamstation BiPap machine and found this housing is a sealed unit so I cut flaps into the two sections and pulled the foam out using hemostats. And resealed the cuts with duct tape.

This seems a simple repair, all Phillips needs to do is replace these housings with good new units with new foam or no form and perhaps a little better sound baffling to lower the noise.

Personally I will want no foam...after all this stuff has been in as far as I can tell every system they made for the past 10+ years, and they JUST found out it might be bad for people!!!??

I do not want to wait another 10 years to be told then "OPPs guess the new foam is also bad...."

So no foam for me thank you I will learn to live with a little noise.

Well wish me luck as I am going to bed with my modified system.

First SC Card report of 12 Minutes looked OK...will see what happens in my first sleep cycle.

Good night.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 12:43 AM)koala1 Wrote: I’ve been talking to my person in charge from Phillips Japan.

Recall is decided only in US, other countries are still under consideration.
They don’t offer Dream Station 2 in Japan and don’t know if they will ever been. Again nothing is decided.

Wonder what should I do now

It sucks that it is only considered a major issue in the USA, while the rest of the world gets a "we don't care about the rest of you because we know we can tie you up in offshore legal red tape" reaction from Philips Respironics.

The other question is what did the other brands use in their machines?

It would be likely they also used the same materials for the similar components in their machines, just like all car manufacturers used asbestos in brake pads / brake shoes and clutches decades ago before it was eventually banned. 
Dont-know
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
So first what is the Resmed system that is equal to a Dreamstation BiPapAutoSV machine??

And sadly Resmed will see a LOT of sales due to this and I fear we will not be able to get anew machine...

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 01:22 AM)racprops Wrote: This Utube video cover that info on the foam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto...e=youtu.be

I just watched the vid link you gave.. you can even see small specks of black in the fan housing after he has removed the fan unit. 
Unsure
Blink
Shock-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 01:26 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 12:43 AM)koala1 Wrote: I’ve been talking to my person in charge from Phillips Japan.

They don’t offer Dream Station 2 in Japan and don’t know if they will ever been. Again nothing is decided.

It sucks that it is only considered a major issue in the USA, while the rest of the world gets a "we don't care about the rest of you because we know we can tie you up in offshore legal red tape" reaction from Philips Respironics.

The other question is what did the other brands use in their machines?

It would be likely they also used the same materials for the similar components in their machines, just like all car manufacturers used asbestos in brake pads / brake shoes and clutches decades ago before it was eventually banned. 
Dont-know

It sucks big time. 

I could always buy Resmed myself but I want to know if it really is safe. 
As you say, they may use the same foam…
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 01:30 AM)racprops Wrote: So first what is the Resmed system that is equal to a Dreamstation BiPapAutoSV machine??

Aircurve 10 ASV and S9 VPAP Adapt (36037)

The older version of the Adapt (36007) does not have ASVAuto (fixed EPAP only)
Post Reply Post Reply

I also have a Dreamstation with a Japanese serial number and my supplier tells me that it was imported from Japan. The serial number of my machine is 500S16. I think this Dreamstation would also be included in the affected devices, though I'll only be able to be sure once we can check for our specific serial numbers on their website. 

I know this is a major recall, but I have limited choices where I live and my machine is working well (hard to find a good machine here) so I'm inclined towards continuing using the machine until I can arrange an alternative (probably an Autoset).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 02:37 AM)koala1 Wrote: I could always buy Resmed myself but I want to know if it really is safe. 
As you say, they may use the same foam…

The foam in the S9 doesn't look to be in the direct air path according to the teardown thread.
You could isolate the foam or remove it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-pictures

https://m.imgur.com/a/S0ojG

The AirSense/Aircurve has a single circular piece of foam that is easily removed per YouTube teardown.

https://youtu.be/dpI0AVoCG3M
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='398381' dateline='1623745507']
I also have a Dreamstation with a Japanese serial number and my supplier tells me that it was imported from Japan. The serial number of my machine is 500S16. I think this Dreamstation would also be included in the affected devices, though I'll only be able to be sure once we can check for our specific serial numbers on their website. 

I know this is a major recall, but I have limited choices where I live and my machine is working well (hard to find a good machine here) so I'm inclined towards continuing using the machine until I can arrange an alternative (probably an Autoset).
[/quote]

I think they are all probably made in Japan.. I'm in Australia and my serial number is similar to yours.

This link shows the affected models, it is not only the Dreamstation that comes under the recall.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e...#section_2

Also have a look at the video link posted by racprops for an idea of the part causing the cancer risk in using them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,823 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,061 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,608 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,044 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.