Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: IMPORTANT NOTICE PHILIPS DREAMSTATION USERS
(06-15-2021, 10:58 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The big hole in that argument is no other PAP brand is doing massive "recalls" like Respironics is for their foam issues.

Had a great talk with Jeff Schmidt <jeffs@1pbi.com> a:

Pitcock Biomedical Inc. 5894 Murfreesboro Hwy. Manchester, TN 37355 United States Toll-Free: Fax: E-mail: Web Site: (931) 723-2496 (800) 503-9692 (931) 723-7898 service@1pbi.com http://www.1pbi.com

Sadly he is not sure what is going on BUT he did tell me that A) Resmed does NOT have any foam in any kind of air passages in their systems and B) he also told me with the System One machines like my ASV 960 the foam that is in the machine IS never show nay break down but if anyone is concerned it is UNDER the fan housing NOT sealed inside it and can be easily removed.

So I opened my 960 and it was just as he said so I removed any concern by removing it.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
(06-15-2021, 11:58 AM)jtech1 Wrote: The Philips web site says: "We cannot stress enough that Philips is treating this matter with the highest possible seriousness"

And under "What to do" for Patients registration for recall: "Please check back soon as we will be adding this functionality within the next few weeks."

They should have already had this ready at the time of the recall announcement... and clear info on what they are going to offer... if anything.

So now us Philips users all sit around for "weeks" waiting to see what will happen, or go spend $ out of our own pockets to stay treated.

Or just keep using it assuming you were not using ozone and caused your issued to the foam (and assuming you haven't kept your unit in high heat conditions or high humidity conditions).  I am really not worried about mine all that much.  I have been using it for a couple of years now so a few more months doesn't seem to be the end of the world (especially as it seems I am on the low end of the potential risk from the foam).

But no doubt Phillips could be handling things a lot better and not so money hungry like a typical corporation.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way they worded the announcement, by mentioning "warranty" and "CPAPs should be replaced after 5 years", leads me to think there will be little, if any relief. I just checked my documentation and I bought my DreamStation June 2016, so it's right at 5 years old. I'm hoping that I could at least get a rebate coupon for a new machine, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Sending a 5 yr old machine in for repairs or upgrades could put me without a CPAP for months, and I'm not going to do that.

Then - would I really want to go back the Philips? If there's a discount available there's a likelihood that some people will, but the alternative is a different brand.

Question:

Has anybody gotten a notice, personally, or has it all been from the news releases and forums like this? I'm pretty sure I registered my CPAP with Philips after I bought it, so maybe I'll get a postcard or letter explaining the situation and my options.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heard back from my DME - I have two choices with them...

1)  Go to the Phillips website and register the machine - Phillips will handle the replacement, presumably with a DreamStation 2, and probably on their own timetable.   Huh

2)  Turn the machine back in to them & they would cancel the contract (rent to purchase).  Of course, that means I wouldn't have a machine, and they will NOT exchange for another machine.   Sad
Rock, meet hard place...    Oh-jeez

I'm leaning toward option 2 and purchasing a ResMed Auto 10 either out of pocket Annoyed-and-disappointed or seeing if insurance will pick up part of the cost.

Stay tuned...   Eat-popcorn
Dammit, Jim - I'm an engineer, not a doctor!!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Is a list of serial numbers available?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am TOLD IF you have older System One like a 960 they are no longer under the recall. BUT I AM TOLD they can be used. Please confirm with official Phillips reports.

So I have removed the foam from three machines. Last night from my Dreamstation BiPap, it did not seem to work right..

Then as I was told the foam in the System Ones is under the fan housing and simple to remove but just removing the fan, I did so in my System One 960 ASV.

Then know I have a working 960 ASV, I went out on a lime and cut into the housing of my Dreamstation BiPap Auto SV machine and pulled the foam out using hemostats.

So at this point I plan on using my Defoamed Dreamstation ASV machine and IF it does not work correctly I can fall back on my back up 960 system.

I have a ResMed Aircurve ASV - Refurbished machine on order...

IF I can get used to it I will see about having my two Dreamstations repaired/upgraded and most likely sell them. IF anyone will take them.

I am hoping I get along with the Resmed system, as they are the lesser of two evils....

And I really hope this REALLY hurts Phillips, in the stock market and in the retail market and in the courts.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The statement in the Philips press release says "the benefit of continued usage of these therapy devices may outweigh the risks identified in the recall notification” is absurd in the extreme.

I’m supposed to choose between cancer or a heart attack?

This is a SNAFU big time. Philips looks to be dragging its feet. Replacement of the cancer-causing machines needs to happen ASAP.

The following are known good email addresses to executives at their Pittsburgh office:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]dreammapper.support@philips.com[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]pcms.support@philips.com[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]dave.curry@philips.com[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]pesc@philips.com[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]Respironics.service@philips.com[/color]
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 03:48 PM)RonHoover Wrote: Is a list of serial numbers available?

Nothing on the Philips website....just lists a BUNCH of stuff recalled including all DreamStations.  (It does say the DreamStation 2 is NOT affected by the toxic foam issue.)

I did not hear back from my DME today....I asked her yesterday morning to check on what my options are and, also, if I'm allowed to purchase a ResMed from her.  (I don't even know if her office has them.) 

Pretty frustrating...I'm wondering how many of the millions who use the devices will come down with stuff, including cancer, in the coming years and have to sue the jerks.

I tried not using my machine last night...but couldn't get to sleep...I think I'm a CPAP junky!!  Hopefully my prayers are stronger than the toxic risks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t know if this helps but I just received notification from my vendor on the Dreamstation recall: Philips Respironics announced a voluntary recall for Continuous and Non-Continuous Ventilators (certain CPAP, BiLevel PAP and Ventilator Devices) due to two issues related to the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam used in these devices. 

It included a note from the manufacturer that says: Philips Respironics is voluntarily recalling the below devices due to two (2) issues related to the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam used in Philips Continuous and Non- Continuous Ventilators: 1) PE-PUR foam may degrade into particles which may enter the device’s the air pathway and be ingested or inhaled by the user, and 2) the PE-PUR foam may off-gas certain chemicals. The foam degradation may be exacerbated by use of unapproved cleaning methods, such as ozone (see FDA safety communication on use of Ozone cleaners), and off-gassing may occur during initial operation and may possibly continue throughout the device’s useful life.

These issues can result in serious injury which can be life-threatening, cause permanent impairment, and/or require medical intervention to preclude permanent impairment. To date, Philips Respironics has received several complaints regarding the presence of black debris/particles within the airpath circuit (extending from the device outlet, humidifier, tubing, and mask). Philips also has received reports of headache, upper airway irritation, cough, chest pressure and sinus infection. The potential risks of particulate exposure include: Irritation (skin, eye, and respiratory tract), inflammatory response, headache, asthma, adverse effects to other organs (e.g. kidneys and liver) and toxic carcinogenic affects. The potential risks of chemical exposure due to off-gassing include: headache/dizziness, irritation (eyes, nose, respiratory tract, skin), hypersensitivity, nausea/vomiting, toxic and carcinogenic effects. There have been no reports of death as a result of these issues.

Details of machines affected and what to do next are listed in this link. 

https://www.apneaboard.com/PR-Recall.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I hope they bought Resmed stock as sales are going very well for them.

I hope no one really has gotten sick from this and I hope the makers of those unneeded wasteful CPAP Cleaning machines get sued big time for not only selling worthless unneeded machines but for making people sick.

I also am told Resmed DOES not use foam as sound deadening so Phillips should have never done so.

Phillips I feel should have had a better response with complete information day one.

The last 24 hours has been one of the worst day ever.

Stay well everyone.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,840 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,617 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,211 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.