Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: IMPORTANT NOTICE PHILIPS DREAMSTATION USERS
My follow up report:

OK This will sound funny in a way.

I am glad to see some Apnea in my sleep report.

For me this means it seems the Dreamstation ASV is working correctly: In my second night sleep cycle of 2:55:48 I got a report of during that cycle I had a AHI rate of 1.02 for an all-night total of 0.39 AHI for a full night’s sleep of 7:39:25.
AND it was Obstructive at 0.13 and hypopnea at 0.26.

None the less I will be switching to a Resmed system if I can adjust to the system.

I want NO more of Phillips systems.

Rich

(06-16-2021, 11:01 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Thanks Rich. If you want to email me your pictures of this procedure, I could then post them here if you’re still having trouble doing that. My email address is apneaboard@gmail.com

Thanks I will do that.

Rich

I seem to have found it.

[attachment=32952]

[attachment=32953]
Post Reply Post Reply
I will take apart one of the machines and take pictures of the openings I made to remove the foam.

Shortly.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The total cost of the recall of 3-4 million machines will be $600,000,000.00 USD, says Philips.  

That's only about $150-200 per machine, so people shouldn't be expecting new CPAP/BiPAP replacements - as far as Philips is concerned (at the moment anyway).  There are some old machines on the list too.  

These are medical devices that most people can't comfortably survive more than a few days to a week without. There are so many small DMEs. They won't have enough temporarily loaner models to satisfy the demand, and there's the cost or cleaning/refurbishing all those temporary loaner models too. Those DMEs will want to be compensated for carrying those additional loaner products and the continual re-cleaning process. There are lots of people that only had a one-time transaction with their particular DME, without any long-term relationship. There were more than a few grey-market new or used-product purchases; leaving those buyers in a difficult situation.

Personally, I think the recall is going to cost them significantly more than their initial estimate.  They're going to lose a lot of market share over this too.  This reminds me of the VW situation a few years ago.  I'm sure internal documents will show that Philips knew about this awhile back - long enough to have re-engineered the foam for the newer DreamStation 2. Add to that any potential for a class-action lawsuit over the incident from real, perceived and potential injured parties.

If I were the other PAP manufacturers, I'd use this as an opportunity to gain improved market share, by offering a Philips trade-in program. Those with older machines might be very eager now to go with another manufacturer for all their future PAP purchases.

Quote:("Philips Chief Executive Frans van Houten said the company was one of the largest makers of sleep apnea machines and ventilators. Between 3 million and 4 million would be targeted in the recall, he said.  The group took a 250 million euro ($368 million) charge for the issue after announcing an identical provision in its first quarter-earnings report in April.")
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend someone PIN as IMPORTANT one of the Philips recall threads for everyone to see when they visit here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2021, 12:52 PM)SleepingForest Wrote: I recommend someone PIN as IMPORTANT one of the Philips recall threads for everyone to see when they visit here.

It's such an active thread lately that it gets bumped to the top often anyway.  I don't think this issue and people's questions about it will go away anytime soon, so it will retain high visibility here for quite a while.

I did put a red NOTICE tag on the thread to make it more visible.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW Philips Respironics action about this seems par for the course. No offense folks, but we're not the customer, the DME is. So their action is probably to not cause damage to their customer, not the one that uses it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
(06-16-2021, 04:48 AM)racprops Wrote: I have been ask about how to do these modifications:

You should NOT do this!! But here are the details for FYI only.

OK Here is a utube video on how to do this with the Phillips System One systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFKk-tzFug&t=0s

All you need do is take out foam in the bottom of the unit.

And then put it back together.
That's a good video but I sure wouldn't want to do it without owning a good backup machine.  Surprisingly it only has 88 views.  Even the guy in the video says he didn't get it right the first time.  I surely appreciate all your warnings. It's high-risk for those who, like me, couldn't function well the next day without the use of a PAP machine. Good for those perhaps with multiple units.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT NOTICE PHILIPS DREAMSTATION USERS
Moderator Note: 

I decided to merge the two threads dealing with the foam/recall issue.

Racprops - I know you cross-posted your info in both threads (thanks!), so I'll go back through this one and remove duplicate posts that contained the exact same info.

So, let's try to keep all the foam issues & recall info here in this one thread for now.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW Philips Respironics action about this seems par for the course. No offense folks, but we're not the customer, the DME is. So their action is probably to not cause damage to their customer, not the one that uses it.

Excellent point, which most of us often forget.

There are a significant number of DMEs that are neither high-volume or nor very profitable.  They won't be earning much on this recall servicing, if anything.  Once the recall gets enough awareness, their phones are going to be ringing off the hook from customers who all want immediate results.

Those DMEs are going to be putting a lot of pressure on Philips to make their efforts faster, easier, and less costly.  If that relationship sours, those DMEs will easily un-recommend Philips products in the future.  Personally, I think Philips has initially under-estimated their costs and involvement in the recall program.  They'll likely modify their efforts once they begin to get significantly more pressure in the days and weeks to come.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
It's funny - I've had 3 people email me now who've read this thread and became angry with Apnea Board because "we gave them" a machine they can't use now, and one one asked "When are you going to replace my CPAP?"  Every once in a while, I get emails like this where people think that Apnea Board is their DME provider.

Likely this happens because some DMEs tell their patients to come here if they have any problems.  So these people might be thinking that this board is operated by their DME.

Sorry to those folks - we're just the messenger to alert you - you'll need to talk to your actual DME (Durable Medical Equipment provider) about the details of how they are handling this recall.

I don't fault these folks necessarily - lack of sleep can confuse people.

Just keep in mind that we're in the dark on this just like everyone else - this thread is intended to shed some light on what's going on.  So have some patience with us, please.

Apnea Board is just a forum, not an equipment provider.   Smile
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,852 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,082 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,621 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,073 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,217 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.