Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
(06-16-2021, 02:02 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: It's funny - I've had 3 people email me now who've read this thread and became angry with Apnea Board because "we gave them" a machine they can't use now, and one one asked "When are you going to replace my CPAP?"  

That's so crazy.  You and most others have always gone way out of your way to specifically emphasize and clarify professionally the various roles and responsibilities.  I think everyone knows that but some are just highly stressed this year, and even more so on this recall.  They'd blame the courier who delivered their machine if they could.  They'll choose to throw out their stress everywhere with the hope of getting any result to their benefit.

Some people obviously don't read signature notations and site conditions too.  Just provide those unusual comments with a standard statement of policy.  Please don't give them any more of your valuable time or concern.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK here are some picture to supplement my notes on these fixes.

First the System One machine: 

[attachment=32954]

And the last picture:

[attachment=32957]
Post Reply Post Reply
Now for the hard one a Dreamstation.

Please note the notes in the pictures.

Please do this at YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I am providing the information as a visual record of what I did.

I do not suggest you do the same. OK

[attachment=32958]
Post Reply Post Reply
It should have been an easy design change to have the sound abatement foam in its own chamber sealed from the turbine intake air. As it is they share the same chamber and have presumably since the manufacture of the D.S. started. In a piece of medical equipment whose primary goal is to deliver air into a human, you would think the quality of the air being delivered would be paramount.
Post Reply Post Reply
That charcoal colored foam looks a lot like the insulating foam window A/C units come with that turns into a pile of black dust by the end of the cooling session.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
racpropsNow for the hard one a Dreamstation.

Please note the notes in the pictures.

Please do this at YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I am providing the information as a visual record of what I did.

I do not suggest you do the same. OK

That's some good work, was your foam falling apart?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: IMPORTANT NOTICE PHILIPS DREAMSTATION USERS
(06-16-2021, 01:30 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW Philips Respironics action about this seems par for the course. No offense folks, but we're not the customer, the DME is. So their action is probably to not cause damage to their customer, not the one that uses it.

Excellent point, which most of us often forget.

There are a significant number of DMEs that are neither high-volume or nor very profitable.  They won't be earning much on this recall servicing, if anything.  Once the recall gets enough awareness, their phones are going to be ringing off the hook from customers who all want immediate results.

Nah.  The reaction to this is WAY overstated.  The percentage of folks that actually care - or will act - is exceedingly small.  This list is a bubble of strange ducks.  What's more, the concern or worry or fixation here should not be construed or extrapolated to the population.  Except for a very tiny subset of PAP users, they will never know there WAS a recall.  Until they watch late night TV .....  And the vampires, er, the "let me turn your misfortune into my wealth" lawyers.....
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
(06-15-2021, 08:58 AM)racprops Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 08:47 AM)brianc18t Wrote: If you are concerned, a better fix might be JB Weld.  It is supposed to be non toxic and food safe.  The 5 minute set stuff would probably be plenty strong.  You might just want to scuff the plastic up a little with sandpaper first to help it get good adhesion.

Thanks that is a good idea. I am also concerned that the foam helps control the air flow as the BiPap seems not as good as before.

Curses on Phillips.

Rich

I'm sure it has an affect on the airflow, I saw a video of it last week where I saw that the air chamber was sealed.  I'm using an inline filter until Phillips opens up the registration tomorrow (I have an auto bipap too).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: IMPORTANT NOTICE PHILIPS DREAMSTATION USERS
(06-16-2021, 05:28 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:30 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW Philips Respironics action about this seems par for the course. No offense folks, but we're not the customer, the DME is. So their action is probably to not cause damage to their customer, not the one that uses it.

Excellent point, which most of us often forget.

There are a significant number of DMEs that are neither high-volume or nor very profitable.  They won't be earning much on this recall servicing, if anything.  Once the recall gets enough awareness, their phones are going to be ringing off the hook from customers who all want immediate results.

Nah.  The reaction to this is WAY overstated.  The percentage of folks that actually care - or will act - is exceedingly small.  This list is a bubble of strange ducks.  What's more, the concern or worry or fixation here should not be construed or extrapolated to the population.  Except for a very tiny subset of PAP users, they will never know there WAS a recall.  Until they watch late night TV .....  And the vampires, er, the "let me turn your misfortune into my wealth" lawyers.....

I feel the same way.. The stuff in our food is exponentially worse for our health, but it's still not good.  I have inline filters now on my hose/mask connection so I don't have to worry about this until it's fixed, but with how screwed up the whole system is I'd wager that there's foam on the interior air chambers on some Resmed devices too...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recall of Philips CPAPs
(06-16-2021, 05:42 PM)Phaleronic Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 08:58 AM)racprops Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 08:47 AM)brianc18t Wrote: If you are concerned, a better fix might be JB Weld.  It is supposed to be non toxic and food safe.  The 5 minute set stuff would probably be plenty strong.  You might just want to scuff the plastic up a little with sandpaper first to help it get good adhesion.

Thanks that is a good idea. I am also concerned that the foam helps control the air flow as the BiPap seems not as good as before.

Curses on Phillips.

Rich

I'm sure it has an affect on the airflow, I saw a video of it last week where I saw that the air chamber was sealed.  I'm using an inline filter until Phillips opens up the registration tomorrow (I have an auto bipap too).
I am sure I am missing something even though I did make an effort to read through the last several pages of the thread. Is there a link somewhere to the registration process once it opens? Thanks in advance and sorry if I am missing some thing that has been pointed out previously.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,857 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,255 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 970 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.