Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
By the way as I see it all that is needed is new fan housings, ones with out the foam.

Perhaps a good cleaning to insure there is no foam in the system, that seems to be SOP when these systems are serviced.

SO ship a ton of new housings and pop the machines into a service store pop them open clean then drop in the new housing close them back up, stick a special sticker on them and send them home. I would bet a good man can do 16 to 24 in a 8 hour day.

This is based on my popping my two machines open about two to three times my self.

My 2 cents worth

Rich

PS that is what I hope will happen as all I need is the two housings for my two machines which I can install al by my self.
Post Reply Post Reply
I much prefer my machine to my wife's Resmed. I can (and do at times) run my machine directly off a 12v battery. Can't do that with Resmed. Also I have 6 yrs data on my SD cards and in Sleepy er Oscar. Again can't do that with Resmed.

I think I'll buy another System One off Craigslist to experiment on and when confident remove the foam from old faithful. It has been a great machine and I'm just not going to fret over it any more than I did covidiousy.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW the only time I tried Respironics, a DreamStation Auto BPAP, it was just a terrible experience for me. Yes it's due to high CA, so I went on to demand a ResMed. For the next 2 years of AHI recorded, roughly 2-3 AHI average and much higher comfort. Can't do that on a Respironics.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Car recalls cannot be issued until parts are in the dealership and they are ready to fix the car. That is a policy of NHTSA which is the governing body for the vehicle industry. I guess the FTC will allow you to just tell people they have a problem and you don’t have a fix.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:27 PM)racprops Wrote: I see NO evidence ResMed is any better that Phillips, so I will stick with the Devil I know. I have tamed him.

I enjoy the logic behind your posts but my conclusion is quite the opposite.  I'm not sure "the devil you know (Philips) is better than the devil you don't (ResMed, etc.)".  That's like a wife saying she'd rather remain with her cheating husband for fear that another man "might" also cheat.  

It would take a lot of negative issues for another company, ResMed or anyone else, to match the anxiety and potential harm brought about by Philips' neglect, perpetual design flaws model-after-model, slowness to act, slowness to communicate, and slowness to solve.

Philips, so far, is guilty for failing in a number of areas:

(1) Philips first hinted at this issue several months ago, knowing that users will continue to use their potentially cancer-causing machines each night for about 8 hours.

(2) Philips knew about this issue long before the introduction of the DreamStation 2, when the cancer-causing foam design was re-engineered.  It probably takes 12-24 months from initial product planning, testing, certification approvals, and then new product delivery (April 2021); which means Philips likely new about this issue since the end of 2019.

(3) Philips models have held this same flawed foam design for more than a decade for a variety of models, without the design intelligence of knowing about the ultimate breakdown of the cancer-ingredient laced foam - or perhaps worse, ignoring the concerns explicitly expressed by engineers, DMEs and end-users.

(4) Philips has yet to propose a solution and provide a "fix" date.

(5) Philips has instructed users to IMMEDIATELY STOP using their medical devices, forcing users to act immediately and personally/solely absorb the replacement costs.

etc.

Therefore, I'll happily chance ANY potential devil that I don't yet know over these significant accidental or deliberate actions by Philips.

We've also learned that any company (e.g. ResMed) whose sole existence is tied to ONE industry is far more motivated to "make it right" and/or "fix it right". Their entire business is on the line. Alternatively, for Philips, its ventilator business is merely a very small slice of its total operations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 05:11 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: The humidifier is down stream of the blower so I wouldn't imagine humidity setting would matter.

I would be more worried if I lived without A/C in an area with poor air quality.

Speaking of poor air quality ....  don't get your CPAP intake anywhere close to the exhaust end of a flatulent Saint Bernard's bed.  Go ahead.  Ask me how I know this.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:43 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I much prefer my machine to my wife's Resmed. I can (and do at times) run my machine directly off a 12v battery. Can't do that with Resmed. 
BINGO!!!!!

Exactry why I won't touch the newer class of Resmeg machines!  You wanna use your own power?  Buy a mucho expensiva power brick, to the tune, IIRC of around $100 in the olden days (you can legitimately say things like "olden days" when you start qualifying for senior discounts!).  Evil sums of guns.

I have even overcome and triumphed over the turkey weeds that hung monster giant chokes on the proprietary PR 12v DC cable....
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 09:24 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 07:27 PM)racprops Wrote: I see NO evidence ResMed is any better that Phillips, so I will stick with the Devil I know. I have tamed him.

(1) Philips first hinted at this issue several months ago, knowing that users will continue to use their potentially cancer-causing machines each night for about 8 hours.

(2) Philips knew about this issue long before the introduction of the DreamStation 2, when the cancer-causing foam design was re-engineered.  It probably takes 12-24 months from initial product planning, testing, certification approvals, and then new product delivery (April 2021); which means Philips likely new about this issue since the end of 2019.

(3) Philips models have held this same flawed foam design for more than a decade for a variety of models, without the design intelligence of knowing about the ultimate breakdown of the cancer-ingredient laced foam - or perhaps worse, ignoring the concerns explicitly expressed by engineers, DMEs and end-users.

(5) Philips has instructed users to IMMEDIATELY STOP using their medical devices, forcing users to act immediately and personally/solely absorb the replacement costs.

etc.

GUILTY.  Oh, that's a little bit over the top.  How does one "know" and state as fact what is/was going on - ie PR "knew" or "knowing"?   Those kind of loose-lipped, half-thought through assertions are actually libelous.  Unless one was in the room when they were discussing how to kill all the folks using their machines (that right there for sure is a prize-winning Harvard Business School strategery to make money!) - how would that be known?  Or does anyone have a copy of the memo where the PR execs said that the damages from getting sued by dead pts' families would be less than a recall and fix?  Oh.  yeah.  Wait again.  That was Ford that got caught thusly talking aobut their cars blowing up when rear-ended, IIRC.....

Me?  I'm gonna go strap on my spanking new Dreamstation 2 (More on that little marvel shortly) - just unboxed and immediately modified to work with my home-brew UPS system. 

Oh, I forgot!  Quite possibly!  That this problem was caused by a bunch of germophobic twits that decided to go against all science (well chemistry at least) and put gas that was corrosive to plastics into their plastic machines INTENTIONALLY?!?!?  "Damnit, Jim!  I'm a doctor, not a huckster!"
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2021, 09:24 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:

I enjoy the logic behind your posts but my conclusion is quite the opposite.  I'm not sure "the devil you know (Philips) is better than the devil you don't (ResMed, etc.)".  That's like a wife saying she'd rather remain with her cheating husband for fear that another man "might" also cheat.  

It would take a lot of negative issues for another company, ResMed or anyone else, to match the anxiety and potential harm brought about by Philips' neglect, perpetual design flaws model-after-model, slowness to act, slowness to communicate, and slowness to solve.

etc.

Therefore, I'll happily chance ANY potential devil that I don't yet know over these significant accidental or deliberate actions by Philips.  

We've also learned that any company (e.g. ResMed) whose sole existence is tied to ONE industry is far more motivated to "make it right" and/or "fix it right".  Their entire business is on the line.  Alternatively, for Philips, its ventilator business is merely a very small slice of its total operations.

I totally agree with you about all of the above BUT for for me the best deal I could find for a ResMed ASV (I NEED A ASV) was $1300.00. And when I asked about removing the foam ring I was told all warranty would be voided.

I have said this and it was a major fact dealing with buying one.

So I decided that as I have fixed my Phillips machines keeping a no cost devil VS buy a new Devil at $1300.00 that I am not allowed to remove the foam seemed like a no brainier.

And if my concerns are correct that the ResMed DOES INDEED push it air though that form ring as a filter they may be next to do a recall.

I also wonder if the laws in down under are the same and will force them to do so.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Folks, please don't quote an entire post unless it's absolutely necessary - if you must use the Reply with Quote button,  at least edit the quoted part to eliminate the vast majority of the post and quote only the pertinent portion of the post.

Use this button:

[Image: reply.jpg]

Try not to use this button (unless absolutely necessary):

[Image: reply-quote.jpg]

Over-using the quote function is considered a violation of proper forum etiquette.

If you're replying immediately after someone's post, it's already generally understood that you're replying to the previous post.  Alternatively, you can avoid quoting altogether and simply say, "Yes, Sam, I agree that the machine is bad" or "Yes, agree with the above post" or something like that.

People don't like to see these posts re-quoted, re-quoted again, etc.  It really is irritating.  It's similar to POSTING YOUR ENTIRE MESSAGE IN ALL CAPS.    Grin

Please help keep this thread manageable.  I know 'ya can... yep, I believe in 'ya.   Bigwink Too-funny

Thanks.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,811 11 hours ago
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,261 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.