Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
My understanding is that the foam itself doesn't contain a carcinogenic gas, but that if it's being degraded (particularly by the use of ozone cleaners) that may cause a reaction that, during the degradation process, may release gases that potentially are carcinogenic. Minor difference, but it's worth clarifying. Otherwise, you're right, without them saying WHAT gases and at WHAT levels they're being detected, we can't know the relative risk. My feeling is, however, that if they've gone this far to issue a recall (even a voluntary one) then it has to be a real enough issue that there IS a risk of possible harm. Otherwise, they would have brushed that under the rug. Like breathing in particles of foam isn't bad enough, potentially.

I visited the Resmed store today to send a link to someone and was presented with a popup to a new FAQ on the Resmed site all about the Philips recall and how their (Resmed's) products aren't affected. Resmed has now confirmed that they use a different foam, for whoever wanted to know that before.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been asked how dare I say bad things about Resmed??

First let me say that I NEED a ASV Machine, in this personal case there are only two manufactures of ASV Sleep machines, Phillips and Resmed. For other types of sleep machines I believe there other makers. So in my case I am trapped with two snakes in my bed room.

OK Here is how I see it: Phillips foam is on the side in a box which allows air to go around it. Look at the picture, the open area is around and under the foam. The air is NOT forced though the foam.

Now study the video of the Resmed fan, the foam is dead center around the outlet (I believe that is the outlet by how the fan is made as they are a lot like jet engines with the intake the larger fan and the out let smaller for more force) There is NO outlet in the back of the fan housing containing this foam, and it was believed by the tech whom opened it the form is compressed and held in place by the motor and the outer housing.

So as far as I can see not having one in my hands there is NO where for the air to go out or in BUT though the foam.

And IF this is correct then I have to think that Resmed calibrated their system with this form as part of those calculations with whatever restrictions or drag this foam may have, and thus it can be part of the machine sensor system and removing it can make this finely tune systems malfunction.

SO because of all of that in my opinion this can mean that a person cannot safely remove that ring of foam. It may be a critical part of the system, and as Resmed has placed the foam as I see it directly in the full path of any air flow unlike Phillips which foam is just a side part if their air flow, It is both not removable and is unavoidable.

So as it cannot be safely removed and one is seemly forced to breath though it no matter what, IE We have no chores but to use the Resmed as is, and I feel that as I (and others) have the chose to remove the Phillips foam is the better setup.

So sadly as I cannot guess how removing this foam ring could affect the Resmed system I am forced to use a Phillips machine which as at lease I have been able to remove the foam and have seen my machine work as always. With the foam removed I can now feel it can no longer harm me.

Needless to say I found all of this very frustrating and upsetting. There just seems to be no safe harbor.

Lastly I really feel people need to know about this. There is foam in the Resmed machines. Rather it becomes a problem or not is in the future.

It is called informed decisions.

This is why Underwriters Lab was created to test products to insure our safety, those little UL marks you see on almost all products.

And why Consumer Reports was created to help tell us what products do what they claim to do.

But even they cannot always discover problems that time, wear and misuse can cause.

Some cars can run for 300K even 500K others barely survive to 100k.

Some cars can be deadly.

It is not a fair or 100% safe world.

Now a days we now have the internet and other consumers on line reviews. They can be a big help once you get the hang of reading them. And they can cover nearly everything else.

And lastly long term reviews by owners, many products are now reviewed all over the internet, almost all makes and models of cars, trucks and Vans have a web site or face book for them.

These can be a great help when a problem comes up on why and how to do the repairs or fixes.

Just like this site.

I LOVE the internet.

How I lived for 40 years without bugs me but we have it now and I cannot even think of living without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 11:24 AM)racprops Wrote: Now study the video of the Resmed fan, the foam is dead center around the outlet (I believe that is the outlet by how the fan is made as they are a lot like jet engines with the intake the larger fan and the out let smaller for more force) There is NO outlet in the back of the fan housing containing this foam, and it was believed by the tech whom opened it the form is compressed and held in place by the motor and the outer housing.

So as far as I can see not having one in my hands there is NO where for the air to go out or in BUT though the foam.

And IF this is correct then I have to think that Resmed calibrated their system with this form as part of those calculations with whatever restrictions or drag this foam may have, and thus it can be part of the machine sensor system and removing it can make this finely tune systems malfunction.
Ok, gang, depending upon the makeup of the "foam" it sounds like it may in fact be functioning as a filter. If it is, then we have a filter collecting crud over the life of the machine, and it is going to make usage hours incredibly important!

I live in the corn belt, and at various times of the year we have high levels of pollen, and/or lots of dust in the air from plowing or harvesting, etc. If this is functioning as a permanent filter then some people are going to have it clogged with crud much faster than others.

This means that we need some serious engineering to determine whether there is a real problem -- not just what we can see in a video!
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know if this info was already provided, so I will post it again. If you follow this link, you provide your serial # and are told right away if your machine is being recalled, mine is and you receive a confirmation number via email. that was 3 weeks ago and no further follow-up has been received.

http://www.philips.com/src-update

I am not a long-time user of Philips, especially compared to some of you, and am not a medical professional, but if I was I would sit down with my doctor. provide him with all the known info that Philips has released, and ask him to research other medical info, and recommend a course of action specific to my needs.

I do not know how long it will be for Philips to respond, but whenever it is, it will only relate to their specific products. The potential health side effects of this will be left with each of us to deal with. They may or may not offer some form of compensation for a proven medical condition you can prove was the result of using their equipment. 

These are only my thoughts and conjectures, I do not have a crystal ball. 

I think that is extremely important to keep this post active, and updated as often as required by changing events.

Thanks

Burt
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:17 PM)btreger Wrote: "... you receive a confirmation number via email. that was 3 weeks ago and no further follow-up has been received."

http://www.philips.com/src-update

Are you sure you meant 3 weeks ago and not 3 days ago?  I thought the machine check and registration for end-users just went live a few days ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about the cleaning systems that recommend use of dihydrogenmonoxide. This chemical has killed millions over the years. It is believed, in some circles, that dihydrogenmonoxide is responsible for the near extinction of the human species at one point ...
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Law firms are already beginning their own investigations into users of Philips ventilators who may have been diagnosed with lung cancer or other illnesses.  I suppose this will magnify over the coming days and weeks.

Quote:Ongoing Class Action Investigation – Philips Recall Sleep Apnea Machines And Ventilators
https://www.thomsonrogers.com/news/ongoi...ntilators/

Philips Recalls Millions of CPAP and Ventilators Over Fears of Chemical Exposure, Carcinogenic Effects
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-sett...c-effects/

PHILIPS RECALL OF BI-LEVEL PAP AND CPAP DEVICES FOR POTENTIAL HEALTH RISKS
https://boesenlaw.com/2021/06/17/philips...lth-risks/

Philips CPAP Lawsuit
https://www.bgandg.com/cpap

FDA Statement: https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-marke...ement-foam
[Image: 2007.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, WakeUptime is correct, my mistake.....

Burt
Post Reply Post Reply
"What about the cleaning systems that recommend use of dihydrogenmonoxide."

this is the very definition of what they call 'whataboutism'. regardless of the validity or invalidity of the question, it has nothing to do with - and serves only to distract from - the topic at hand. stealing OMMOHY's tag line:

'there. I said it.'

feel free to remove this post for being provocative and off topic. I know better but sometimes just can't help myself.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
We're all familiar with the warnings that come at the end of pharmaceutical commercials. All sorts of POTENTIAL side effects are listed, some fatal. Actual instances of those are very small, or the side effects are minor. PR's warning list sounds like that kind of lawyer speak. I find it hard to imagine that PR would deliberately introduce a known carcinogen that would poison its customers at large when other materials are readily available. Surely they performed tests that passed muster with the FDA (or whomever.)

Listing possible harm caused by the PR foam isn't the same as saying it causes cancer, or has. We need to take a breath here. I'm always wary of people on the itnernet who KNOW the inside workings of a company or medicines or what have you, without having any access or special knowledge. We'll know more soon enough.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,847 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,065 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.